The Enigma

for the casing try a noise texture like this

would make it more realist with some texture

happy cycles

Cheers. I’m in the process of playing with that texture now, i like the idea, i definitely use it for my final clay render.

In the meantime, here is a sense of how the inner workings are going to work. i think i have the scale right now. I just need to keep chipping away at it one part at a time.

Attachments

Looking amazing, great job! :smiley:

i saw an OSL AO shader
i can find link if you need to
but don’t think AO rendering look really nice it’s too doll same color all over !

i prefer nice mat textures color look a lot more realist !

happy cycles

Cheers VickyM72!:slight_smile:

Ricky:I do plan to texture it fully and make it a photo realistic as possible. I just like clay renders and will probably do one before texturing properly. your texturing tips will definitely come in handy then, thanks!

Last of the outer dials done, no more excuse to stay outside now…

May do bulbs next.

EDIT: added a higher res image of the full machine

Attachments

Really looking good Monk… I bet modeling the wires will provide a bit of a challenge. Good to see you back at work on the Enigma.

Hey MonkMonk, that’s a long awaited update :slight_smile: Seems that you enjoyed having your hands back at the Blender keyboard today. And you have been pretty productive. Modelling is extremely well done as all of this model is!

For the wires of the plugs you could give arrays and the curve modifier a try perhaps.

problem will be to have a nice texture rendering for the wire!
anyone has a good cycles nodes set up for this ?

happy cycls

Cheers guys. It’s good to be back blendering. I was happy pretending that the enigma machine was a wireless device, but then you had to mention them!:wink:

i was thinking curves myself, then converting to Meshs to texture. I may re-watch the Kent trammel tutorial with the phone line, that seemed to have good ideas.

i saw this wire texture in your first photos
and the wire insulation texture is a pain in the neck
tried to find some texture like that and could not!
so hope someone can come up with a nice way of doing this texture!

happy cycles

First go at bulbs done. I don’t want to go too detailed, but i also want to be able to get quite close to them before the detail deteriorates.

Attachments

Ah, the modelling fun continues. The bulbs are looking good - details depend on how close you want to get to them with the camera indeed. The base of the filament could be problematic if seen from certain angles.

If you want to go crazy with this here are some links you most probably know already.

Crypto museum’s page about the lamps: http://www.cryptomuseum.com/crypto/enigma/lamps.htm

Linked from there is a page offering replicas with some tech specs: http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/223.html

And a tech spec sheet linked from the last page: http://www.donsbulbs.com/bulbs/g623/b2/e10.gif

Just in case … :wink:

Crypto museum is a great site where i got almost all my refs from, i recommend anyone interested in this machine have a look. Cheers for putting the link up.

As for bulbs… after checking the links out i may tweak the screw part to make them finer. Although i have cheated, the screws are not screws at all but loops at an angle. I figure that as they will never be animated, this will do. It’s a lot easier to model that way.

Thanks for taking the time to look for these, much appreciated :slight_smile:

i’v seen 100 of lamps shapes but flat face like these is a first

but very interesting to be able to find so much details for a secret machine after so many years!

salutations

I’m glad the details are available. I just wish there were more…

I’m getting close with the cog section, i think i have (finally) figured out how it all fits together back there. Just need to model the bits round the back.

Then… the wires… :spin:

Attachments

I figure that as they will never be animated, this will do

Even if you did want to animate your Enigma model (which I hope someday you are inspired to give it a go) , I highly doubt you would be animating the light bulbs anyway. Plus you barely see the screw portion once the bulb is screwed in.

The cog section is looking great Monk.

The cog array looks really clean. Mind posting some wires? :stuck_out_tongue:

You clearly weren’t counting on my enigma-machine-light-bulb-tap-dancing-on-the-light-box video i was planning to make…:stuck_out_tongue:

And now…Feast your eyes on this fine collection of cams and metal bars! I’m so glad i finally got this part over with.

And cheers Onyxldol. I’ll put some up soon for you.

Attachments

what are the pins on the wheel
are these contacts?

i think there was one pin per wheel to turn it ounce per rotation of the wheel on the right !

thanks

Yes, they are the connectors. Although this is the reflector, once the signal has passed through the 3 cogs they go through this and get sent back again.

I think i can now call the inside done…

Right then, wires, here we go!

Attachments