The Graveyard ☠

Thumbnail

Before anyone says… “don’t you already have two sketchbooks open???” Yes, yes I do, this one is going to be different. This is a place for me to dump ancient, long-forgotten, and probably not-completely-finished projects from years and years ago. I have a lot of projects I’ve never shared anywhere, so time to fix that :smiley:

Why? Mainly to give myself encouragement- having something to look at and say “wow, I’ve grown so much since then” is really good for me, and having it in one convenient place will be much better than digging through ancient archives.

Last note- ignore the “screenshot” dates, they have nothing to do with anything, as I no longer have originals of any of this (hard drive crashed years ago). What you’re seeing is screenshots of copies of screenshots of copies… :wink:

Anyway, with no more preamble…

My First Project in Blender

8 Likes

An Unfinished Cathedral

Wow, I really knew *nothing* about topology at this point in time :sweat_smile: This was three years ago, this sketchbook will be in roughly chronological order, as best as I can remember
3 Likes

A Low Poly Goblin Treehouse

As amateurish and crude as this is, it has a certain charm to it. I don’t hate it. Maybe someday I’ll try again

5 Likes

Experiments in Landscapes- the Bad Ones

2 Likes

Experiments in Landscapes - the Sliightly Less Bad Ones

Practice makes perfect, or in my case, it makes "halfway decent" :laughing: There is probably a total span of 6 months between the bad landscapes in the last reply and the last one made here, I don't remember the exact order though
11 Likes

The Pond - Starting to Dive into Animation

6 Likes

The Racoon, the Girl, and the Man

5dd49be1b9b3b3f40f9a5eb792ce515c7b7c102a_2_500x500
ca70d9f31646ed2e23ef234c5b1ea17a00fa80a7_2_433x500

I was building a scene based on a drawing by Teo Skaffa- halfway through, my hard drive crashed. Fun times

6 Likes

Airships!

IMG_9719

Apparently, videos don’t work in galleries, my apologies for the space taken up on your screen

6 Likes

This makes me wish I kept more of my old stuff around. The only thing I have left is an in-editor shot of an old tutorial I did in Lightwave way, way back in 2006. Almost everything else I did then has disappeared into the aether.

3 Likes

A disastrous and short-lived realism phase

6 Likes

Yeah, it does. There’s an obvious seed for something good here.

And the “less bad” landscapes are quite a bit less bad. The one with the cardinal is actually a solid composition and looks really appealing.

Do not tell me this is a real thing. Do NOT!

I like the effects though.

Swordtember. Ghods.

Hm. I don’t think she’s that bad. But then I don’t know what you envisioned.

Oh, and the foray into realism wasn’t all that disastrous either. Not all that real, sure, but you were just starting out. There’s a lot of beginner issues I don’t even see here.

Thanks for sharing all of these. That was an interesting bit of history, and yeah, you’ve definitely come a ways since then. It’s good to have this sort of thing to look back on.

Done now. :wink:

1 Like

Making a Character, Round 3 (I have no pictures surviving of round 2)

Fun fact- making this character from scratch was my “senior” (heh) project in college. I “heh” because I actually graduated… two? three? years later?

She was fully clothed, I have no pictures of such.

I got an A- on the senior project, one of the three reviewing faculty members gave me a B- because “this doesn’t seem to have anything to do with your degree?” It’s fair, I’m not mad about it, she was entirely correct :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

A mask that actually turned out pretty decent

10 Likes

My first attempt at doing Swordtember

I’m a little unclear on the dates on these ones- they may actually be higher in the thread, chronologically, but I’m not sure

3 Likes

Making a character, round 4

A friend wanted a portrait of himself dressed as Captain America and his fiancee as Black Widow- they ended the engagement before I finished even half of the portrait :grimacing: He’s with someone much better now, she was kind of the worst…

4 Likes

Making a character, round 5

If anyone is wondering, there’s just one or two more posts to go :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Making a character, round 6

I would really rather not upload this one, I truly hate how it turned out, but that’s not really playing the game fairly, is it? :wink:

Anyway… that’s it! Everything you’ve seen is at least a year old, most of them quite a bit more than that

6 Likes

Thank you for your kind words :slight_smile: I think my main takeaway from seeing all this in one place is that I have good ideas, that have historically struggled to get to the surface. Hopefully, with more time and practice, all of these will eventually become “bad” compared to what I can do in the present :slight_smile:

That said, I do actually love the one with the cardinal to this day.

@piranha4D I like your idea of editing as you go, so I’ll do the same :sweat_smile: Swordtember is a pretty cool tradition by Faith Schaffer that’s grown into a huge artist thing (on the scale on Inktober) on social media. I don’t do well with these “prompt a day” type deals, generally, hence why there’s only three.

1 Like

Finding all this stuff has been a process of weeks, to be honest. And I’m still missing a ton. I was really good at keeping records of stuff (still am), but that darn hard drive crash :expressionless: I’ve since learned the value of backup drives :sweat_smile:
By the way, I’m really happy to see you’re working on your campground project again! It’s one of my favorite WIPs on the whole site :smiley:

1 Like

At the rate it’s going, I should hopefully be done with it within 50 years. :smiley:

1 Like