The medieval watchtower - fantasy style

Hi there.

In the deep forest, this signal watchtower guards the mountain pass. Away from the busy life of the castle. :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree:

My goal was to practice and capture the mountain foggy and humid atmosphere in the scene.

It’s a free time project made for fun.

Blender Cycles

Clay version without volumetrics + AO

A short animation

Have a nice day :wink:

84 Likes

This is great. I think that tower looks very intimidating if you were trying to assault it. Good believable design.

1 Like

A few flaming arrows?

2 Likes

Haha, good point. However if you look closely, the wood has a slightly green tint. This indicates that it’s been treated with a flame retardant. Also, the defenders have water on hand for such events and they are higher giving their archers greater range. Shooting flaming arrows points out exactly where you are :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like this mood, wonderfull atmosphere!

1 Like

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you man :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, good point. It’s a humid environment which doesn’t suit fire very well. A smoke screen would give away the enemy’s movements.

Besides, it’s mostly an observation tower. High forest cover around the area is not conducive to combat. :wink:

Otherwise, everything plays into the hands of the defenders.

A short animation

Thank you man.

1 Like

fantastic work! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

As you sneak up to the tower - Roll me perception check. - 15 - As you sneak up to the stone base of the tower, you hear a shuffling noise from the inside…

By the way, it looks like something from a D&D campaign! Are those stained glass windows?

1 Like

Great, very atmospheric ! Bit of a technical question, I see your trees use alpha cards… just how high is your transparent depth set to ?

1 Like

So I don’t know blender yet but I do know this! Flaming arrows are nowehere near as effective as generally portrayed, and solid wooden structures are very difficult to set on fire in that manner - where they’d be good would be for firing into a thatch roof. Once THAT catches fire, the whole building is probably doomed.

1 Like

The thing that I absolutely admire about this render is that both “the foggy environment” and “the wooden tower” are absolutely realistic and appropriate. There is nothing in any of these images to “draw my eye” to the fact that it is all actually CG. (This observation applies both to the tower and to the surrounding environment – and nothing implies that one was “superimposed against” the other.)

1 Like

So…
All along the burning watchtower…? :laughing:

1 Like

Great design
Also you got the gloomy atmosphere perfect, reminds me of my corner of the world :grinning:

1 Like

Wow, thank you Bart :wink:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Hey, man, thanks. I haven’t played or even know DaD but you’re the second artist in a row to associate my fantasy style works with this theme.

Yes these are reinforced windows in the form of stained glass but without the colored mosaic made up of slides.