The Melondel Cataracts

Update:
hair & fur added.
Long hair is Houdini brute-force exported as mesh to Blender (wanted to figure out what’s possible regarding groom import/export), fur is Blender hair particles.

A pivotal moment in the unfinished graphic novel I’m still working on, I keep coming back to it, reimagining it drawn in panels on paper, or this time, in moving images. Will probably extend the scene in both directions gradually, as I find time, this is the middle part, Cin’Thele and her four-pages companion Sneaks finally reaching the steep cut through the lands that separates the grassy hills of Olveare from the swampy forests of Oriador trench.

3D-wise this was, among other things, an attempt to combine Cycles (foreground) and Eevee (background) for render speed’s sake.

The large waterfall is an abused smoke sim, rendered in Eevee.
All dynamics in Houdini. All the rest: Blender.

Sounds are various CC0 snippets, music is by Rafael Krux, filmmusic.io.

3 Likes

The mood is amazing !
I love this short.

I guess you can put it on youtube so that it can be easily integrated here :slight_smile:
For vidz ( or any bigger file than 5MB ) you can only post links.
It is indeed too bad for sharing big .blends or any other thing but it’s the rule :confused:

Congratz for your nice piece of art :smiley:

And happy blending !

1 Like

It is, but there’s a 5 MB limit. Alternatively, if you upload it to YouTube, it’ll show up as a playable embedded video.

I’ve attached a 5 MB version of your video that will embed, if you want me to add it to your original post, let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow thank you so much! Adding to the original post would be gorgeous indeed …

1 Like

Thank you, I’m glad you like it! :slight_smile:

For some reason I couldn’t get myself to publish anything at YT, or post comments in any thread … don’t ask me why. I guess I’ll overcome that block at some point …

Larger scale update: modelled hair & fur replaced by hair strands.