The unofficial Benchmark .blend

there are two ways to export something to yafray.

1. your scene is converted to a XML file and that file is rendered by yafray.
  2. your scene is send directely to yafray. you must have yafray 0.0.7 for that.

if the button is selected it will export a xml file. if its depressed it will use direct export.

I render your last file: 5 min on my P4-2.8G-512RAM-GForce2Pro.

Just built my new rig, AMD 64 3000+, 1GB ram, winXP

using ringv1.2.blend with blender2.35a

render time 5:22.52

once / if I get gentoo 64bit installed I’ll be sure to try this again!

Brian

Blender 2.35
Linux x86_64
amd64 3200+ 939

Blender internal: 4min 25s
Yafray: 39 s

Blender2.35a internal
Athlon64 3200+ (Newcastle, 754) WinXP32bit

4min 25sec [!]

@Sornen: What Blender did you use: Just the binary download or did you recompile blender for 64 bit. If you did, this pretty much would proove that installing Linux 64 bit would not be worth the hassle - well I just failed today with gentoo for some reason and I’m no newbie to this stuff.

Stephan

hehe. i thought this thread was dead. ill rerender that .blend.

blenderinternal 2.35a: 19:57.97

yafray 0.0.7 blender 2.35a: 4:51.88

how many of these “benchmark” files do we really need? i think instead most people should know that hey blender sucks at this type of rendering maybe i should use yaf for this situation. why are we comparing these times? this is something that should be done in a developement area.

sorry for the harsch case of reality but we always end up with 14 pages of useless data that no one could really care about. i mean this post isnt intoducing something new like when the first Intel optimisations were made…

I compiled blender and yafray for 64bit because I couldnt get blender-yafray to work.

I’m using fc3 x86_64. I have to admit its a hassle to get everything working. Latest problem is with wxPython, I’ve installed the 32bit rpms, but then it has trouble loading some of the libraries, even though they clearly exist, and I haven’t been successful in compiling for 64bit.

Hello sornen,

thanks for the reply.

That’s very disappointing. Although I try to avoid the hype about 64bit, I really expected at least some performance gain when rendering using Blender on 64bit. There seems to be none, at least for this file.

Maybe I’ll try to install it anyhow - I really don’t like giving up when it comes to installing an OS :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again.

Stephan

I compiled blender and yafray for 64bit because I couldnt get blender-yafray to work.

I’m using fc3 x86_64. I have to admit its a hassle to get everything working. Latest problem is with wxPython, I’ve installed the 32bit rpms, but then it has trouble loading some of the libraries, even though they clearly exist, and I haven’t been successful in compiling for 64bit.[/quote]

I’ll run the test render as soon as I get my Gentoo AMD64 up and running, I am installing a few things then I can start playing.

Ok, I did a test with a few machines. Stopped installing software on the new AMD64 to run the tests there. Here are my results.

Machine #1 (32bit)
AMD Althon 2500+ 512m RAM
1.87ghz 266mhz Bus

Machine #2 (32bit)
P4 2.8ghz 1g RAM
2.8ghz 800mhz Bus

Machine #3 (64bit)
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 1g RAM
2.0ghz Built in bus

Tested with the ringv1.1.blend (the middle lenght rendering one)
OS = Gentoo Linux and Blender 3d v2.37a

Internal Render no changes to render settings.
Yafray Renderer added Quality low and photons (default settins)

Machine #1
Internal Renderer = 2:24:23
Yafray Renderer = 5:03:47

Machine #2
Internal Renderer = 1:46:87 (threads on) 2:22:37 (threads off)
Yafray Renderer = 5:15:38

Machine #3
Internal Renderer = 1:42:68
Yafray Renderer = 3:17:17

(Note: Threads does nothing worth reporting on the AMD chips or with Yafray)

The speed of the internal renderer on a 64b OS was a major disapointment, but Yafray is what I expected to see happen.  Of coarse I would except that a full 64bit version of Blender would make the times on machine #3 drop, since Yafray did.

It was quite interesting to see that the slower AMD machine kicked the P4 rear in Yafray.

It also goes to show that Mhz isn't always a true measure of speed. Since machine #1 and #2 almost have 1ghz difference in the core speed.

using blender 2.42 optimized for athlon xp, took 14 minutes, 41.17 seconds. system was athlon xp 2500+, 2 gigs ram, geforce 6200, and windows vista beta build 5472. this was without readyboost enabled so im not sure if readyboost will speed up rendering or not.

Wow, can you say “BUMP”? I don’t think anyone likes when people bump threads that are more than one year old…

Take 2 min 55 on windows vista rc1 with 2.42a
Amd athlon xp 2.7
1go ddr
I will try on xp to know, but vista have not anything installed.

I did the second .blend that was uploaded. On an AMD 64X2 dual core 4600+ 1.8 GHZ 2 gigs of ram it took 1min 12 seconds with threads turned on.

On windows XP 3min 30 with some programs running

There is a most recent benchmark to try?

On Intel core 2 duo 2.40GhZ with 1Go DDR1 57.73sec

Hey, c’mon guys, this thread was started TWO_YEARS_AGO !
How strange is this? Why bumping up such an old thread? Makes no sense to me.

Yt,

Gunnar