The Watch!

Hi Mark like i have said baking is not something i would do in 2.8 since there are threads everywhere about how poorly implemented it is in the current RC!

I will consider baking in Blender only when they implement a solid baking solution that is on par with Xnormal result since so far it is still the #1 baker and the beauty it’s free!

Thanks, I’ll look into that.

Well guy’s i am very happy with my first ocean shader test, Eevee even surpass my wildest dreams since i was able to get the kind of look i was after in a very short amount of time.

Here a gif showing the various shader test i did today;

Ocean_shader_01

Next i am going to tackle the foam since i want something highly realistic and i have my little bag of trickery for this.

The banding in the sky is because of the gif compression.

Take note that the U-boat is not texture it’s just a default grey texture so i could have an idea.

3 Likes

Hey, nice ocean.

1 Like

Thank and when i am finish i will make a tutorial for the ocean shader!

1 Like

Very early foam test previews, i am still experimenting with procedural foam generation but it’s look promising and the capability is there with a mix of noise and color ramp and a few math nodes.

The next step in the foam pattern is to have these secondary patch of foam that are receding from the crest, i will have to find a way to make it look good even for animation.

Another test with foam dispersion

Now that’s one helluva boat right there!

1 Like

Thank for the kind words but it is in need of a serious paint job since i didn’t texture it yet and it is totally unrealistic almost like silver with this hdri with a bright sunshine.

This is one of the main shot i am aiming for, stormy and foggy north Atlantic. I could almost call it done even without the boat texture since the fog is hiding this pretty well!

This was surprisingly easy to do in Eevee and i am going to have a blast with it!

really nice ! can’t wait to see more

1 Like

The only problem with that foggy sea shot is that the submarine doesn’t stand out enough from its surroundings. You need to do something to draw more focus to it.

1 Like

It’s just the very first volumetric test so it will change for the final render but i also like that elusive shadowy menace piercing just slightly from the fog.

Thank and i am having a lot of fun with Eevee and i am planning for tutorials for all the thing i do here.

1 Like

Here another shot with a little more color bleeding in(mainly the ocean) with a less cloudy hdri ;

Just played a bit with the samples and tile size to 4px and i rotate the hdri to get the light scattering trough the wave a bit and by the same time the u-boat show a bit more.

Just as a comparison here a picture of the real world and we can see that E
evee is pretty capable;

1 Like

North Atlantic

add some icebergs and ice on the sub LOL

looking good
happy bl

2 Likes

Do you read in my mind since this afternoon i thought that a shot near Antarctica with iceberg would be pretty cool with all that talking about that secret Nazi base!:ok_hand:

The case in Antartic is still unknow and secret
Another WWII secret !

but German were also in the artic and North sea which is fine
and there are some iceberg too !

another thing is that the VII was not good enough to go to Antarctica too far away and not well equipped for cold temp I guess.

have fun

happy bl

1 Like

Imagine a shot here at the bottom of the iceberg and some UFO visible trough the hole!

1 Like