thinking about to open a small online CG studio

and the average blender user wins too (good experience there)

great news ;o) thanks. I will come with the plan proposal soon (on sunday or even earlier). There will be also mentioned web and all dependent things…

Chin - we off to a good start.

so I think I have made the first plan proposal - you can find it here.
I was trying to put there everything important - if you find something of course please let me know. I have tried to put realistic dates + also some date dependencies. Of course everything can be changes (earlier or later) - but we should keep hold the dates.

As next I would like to make also a draft document of our work-cooperation (contract). I think this more inportant than the plan. To know what and how before we start. (document should contain license, money dividing, jobs, responsibilities, what if somebody leaves the company, etc). This I would like to finish this sunday. So let me know what you think about the plan + if you have some ideas about the contract let me know.

its a great start!

i am personally not a huge fan of fantasy artwork though, but of course I am not the only person in the studio :wink:

but i’m glad to see we have a game plan!

Aside from Blender, you’ll need proper organization (for the project itself) and management for each project. Try picking up a book on the animated film-making process, at least a basic one business management. Oh, and establish the financial and creative collaboration and decision-making mechanics early on.

Good luck!

I’m only interested in a specific tasking/area, when you reach this “stage” I’ll contribute a bit now and then. Very good plan though! And heed 'Cubs words - he has stated them nice and well.

many thanks fot the tips - definitely I have to and want to learn many many things.

thanks for reply - what area/task are you interested?

Once you get to the site creation area I could help you out with that, maybe even a logo if I get some time. No promises but let me know if your interested.

Some hints, just from my own experience,
Agree’ing on names, who youll work with, logo’s etc is all very well BUT.
You need to find talented, reliable, trustworthy people to work with, These people will be the backbone of your enterprise.

The problem is that these people useually dont have too much trouble getting work, so you need to attract them by showing what YOU have to offer them.

• That you can communicate well online, talk with prospective clients… all the stuff thats required to run a real business…

Starting by posting on blender artist is fine to get some feedback, but I think you really need to put a lot of work into building up a business like this, and need to start with some solid experience to back you up.
Its probably better to start freelance, then get others onboard… just my 2c :wink:

nfollmer: i’d love do work with you on a website if you want. just out of curiousity, what do you use? i prefer raw code myself.

When you have a model - I will animate some specific ways. Not all methods as my time/skills is limited.

microsoft live is offering free web hosting, email, domain registration, etc. I used them to get my website www.low-risk-investing.com up and going, and have been very happy with them.

another good one is monsterhost.com

its only $5-6 a month

yes i does cost more compared to microsoft live :stuck_out_tongue: but it’s worth looking into - my friend uses it and has no complaints whatsoever

Dead on. It fits the growth model too – you’re only likely to get more/bigger jobs (requiring collaborators) after you prove yourself on the relatively small tasks.

I use Dreamweaver, simply because I am too lazy :slight_smile: I did faramix.com if you want to see a sample of my work. We use 1and1 to host our site, I think we pay like 3.99 USD a month. It has never been down in the year we have had the site and their email application is pretty good.

im impressed! i’d be glad to collaborate when the time comes! :slight_smile: i use raw code mainly because i can’t afford dreamweaver and i don’t really like kompozer - plus it makes me feel like i have more control over how the page works

but i see dreamweaver works very well with you!

hi all - thank you all millions of times for the offers and advices.

I think I have made a first draft of the ‘contract’ document. I’m not a lawyer but I have tried my best :spin:. Also I think that for the beginning it should be enough. Of course if the company would start to grow (what I believe it will) we can open a ‘real’ company-office…etc. But I think that for the begynning it should be OK as a group of freelencers under one name and logo. Of course if you have some other ideas please come here with it.
Draft contract and updated plan you can find here.
Please take it really only as a draft (+ sorry for my bad english) - based on the plan we should agree on the contract until 13.3.08. So please let me know if somebody from the already agreed team has changed the mind or is still with :cool:

what if we called it “Storm Arts” or something like that

just a suggestion :slight_smile:

also, how do you propose we sign the contract if this is going to be all over the web :stuck_out_tongue: