time traveling is possible

Yet light has no mass.
so what if light can actually surpass itself.
I believe time travel exist like it does in DBZ.
When trunks goes back in time to save his time he only saves that one universe. He cant change what already happened in his.

So if humans do harvest a black hole and use its emminse energy to create a time hole (or if a black hole is a time hole) then we will not be changing our past but another universes present.

it’s e=mc^2

I think it’s possible to travel in time. I think it’s also posible to predict the future. but I also think that you can not change the future, you can only participate in it. and that’s why I think it’s rather pointless traveling in time.

light has mass. its very small but it has mass. (space light sails wouldnt work if light had no mass)

oops im creating a paradox here.

it should, assuming its true, and we haven’t just not been able to do it.

What about when light acts as a wave instead of a particle how can it have mass?

ive read somewere that light is a stream of particles called fotons.

light is ambivalentic thingy… that’s quantom theory. Electrons are also ambivalentic… it was found that they can spin on two axys at the same time and spin cw and ccw inthe same time, oh and they also can exist in two places in the smae time. Quantom theory - very weird.

light is actually made of neutrinos which are particles. very small particles. they wouldn’t work well for making waterfalls or smoke.

now i know. a black hole is black because it absorbs light. in order to do that light must have a mass.

As I see it, hoax or real, this guy is describing a very “possible to happen” future to us…

I can’t tell if he really was a “time traveller”, or wether he was just making things up from his sick imagination (most probably), but truth is, his “predictions” one way or another, could happen…

Orson Welles did a similar prank in his famous “War of the Worlds” radio broadcast… Allthough that broadcast caused a total chaos and mayhem in U.S., I think there was at least some benefit from that… It took U.S. citizens out of their “nirvana” and made them use their brains a little bit more than they were doing, before that (I think that was the original purpose btw)…

I think instead of discussing the possibility and the physics of “time travel”, we should be more focused on the fact, that our world is actually going down the toilet…

J.T.'s “theories”, crazy or not, still have some truth behind them and we should understand that no matter how insignificant we may think our individual selves are, our “insignificant” actions affect the course of history, the same way a butterfly in australia can cause hurricanes in America…

Consider your responsibilities and be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem…

Sorry for the rant, but I thought that this aspect of the John Titor’s story, was worth discussing…

P.S.: I am really sorry that Mr. Titor has “left” us… I think it would be very interesting to me, to have a little chat, with that guy…

E = mc^2 so m = E/c^2
for a photon E = hf - h being plank’s constant (6.626176x10^-34 Js) and f being the frequency.
so a photon’s mass is m = hf/c^2
visible light ranges from about 430THz (terahertz, ie 430000GHz) for red light to about 750THz for violet.
this means a visible photon’s mass ranges from about 3.15x10^-36 kg to 5.52x10^-36 kg. So approximately 4x10^-36 kg for a middle-of-the-range yellow/green.

do put this in perspective, an electron at rest is 9.1093897x10^–31 kg

So a visible photon has about 1/200000 as much mass as an electron. A gamma ray photon (at about 10^19Hz to 10^20Hz) can just get up to the mass of an electron

sure, it’s not much mass, but it is there

Another way to think about it is a 60W bulb spits out 60J of photons each second (actually it doesn’t, because of heat loss, but bare with me)
This comes to 60/c^2 = 0.666x10^-15 kg - so it will emit a gram of photons every 47500 years.

Interesting fact I thought of after all of this - electricity here costs around 12 cents per kWh… that’s $3 billion/kg

[edit] Woah, I just reread that and realised how far offtopic I wandered…
Anyways, light does have mass.

wow - lite light. :smiley: oh scince jokes - so funny - so pathetic :-? like saying H2O(aq). oh just shoot me this is getting way too off topic

My brain hurts :frowning: . I aint smurt enough to figure out all that stuff.

These paradoxes stem from chaos theory (like Tuggles said), basically if you’re here now, and you know what happens later (or you’re back then and know what happens now, it’s the same thing) then you will change it, or at least change something because of that knowledge.

I was talking about the chaos theory and paradoxes? Damn, I feel smart now I didnt know that lol. :smiley:

Also, about the travelling faster than light thing, I’ve also read that photons have been accelerated beyond the speed of light (or maybe just really close to it( not sure)) but it basically has the effect again of being in two places at once. might not get time travel, but teleportation?

Actually teleportation already exsists in its very very early form. DOnt know who did it but some people in a lab made like and atom (not possitive it was an atom but it was just a very small thingy :smiley: ) “teleport” across the lab.

Actually, correct me if I’m wrong, but the majority of the ice caps are floating. Here’s an experiment for you. fill a glass with water. place an ice cube in it, then fill it to the top. The water will not overflow as the icecube melts. It will in fact drop. Now, this is just from my knowledge of ice. i don’t know if the ice caps are floating… anyone help me?

Your wrong :smiley: . I decided, with everyone saying that water level wont rise do to the ice cap melting, to do an experiment. It turns out that water level stayed the same so that whole displacement deal is true. The thing is if the artic is melting it is resonble to say that anartica is melting therefor the water level is still going up.

and that’s why I think it’s rather pointless traveling in time

not really think about why he came back in time in the first place, to get a ibm 5100 so its not pointless maybe pointless to change anything but not pointless.

Now yall gonna think I am crazy but I am kinda startin to believe this guy. For one he has an IBM 5100 computer in brand spanken new never been used (it appears) condition. For 2 he gained nothing and wasnt trying too. If he was just a crazy and believed he was a time traveller then why would he have gone through so much trouble researching all that and making all them documents and the distortion unit. For 3 he didnt try to make things all secret and cryptic like nostradamus (sp?) he came right out and said we will have a civil war in 2005-2015 and in 2015 ww3 breaks out. For 4 (hehe 4 for lol sorry) he talked about the middle east and many said “well thats a no brainer” well I agree but he said what we had experienced so far was nothing it would get a whole lot worse (this of course was not his exact words and you also must remember he said this in 2000 well before the 9/11 attacks). I guess its not so much I believe him but I beleive that if we dont change real soon then what he says WILL happen.

The thing you said about John stopping at a red light and making someone late, etc, etc is elementary chaos theory

well the only thing I know about the chaos theory is what I heard on Jp. I havent watched it in years and when I did I didnt have a clue what he was talking about and now I probably would sort of be able to understand but anyway what I am trying to say is I didnt know anything about the chaos theory but I am a ferm believer in small events can change the entire world (isnt there some saying for that?)

How could they tell it was the same atom? I’ll believe it when they use monkeys. Blender monkeys that is, lol.

Your wrong :smiley: . I decided, with everyone saying that water level wont rise do to the ice cap melting, to do an experiment. It turns out that water level stayed the same so that whole displacement deal is true. The thing is if the artic is melting it is resonble to say that anartica is melting therefor the water level is still going up.

Did you guys check out the link I gave on page 2 about the ice caps? I think it answers the question:

How do you know he has a brand new 5100? Also, not all hoaxers are out to gain something. He might just be a physicist who wants to encourage the general public into discussing the possibility of time travel. By observing this discussion I would say he succeeded.

civil war in 2005-2015 and in 2015 ww3 breaks out. For 4 (hehe 4 for lol sorry) he talked about the middle east and many said “well thats a no brainer” well I agree but he said what we had experienced so far was nothing it would get a whole lot worse (this of course was not his exact words and you also must remember he said this in 2000 well before the 9/11 attacks).

There are other people who think the same. They predict something will start in 2005 too, check out the top left corner:
http://exodus2006.com/3code.htm
and right at the bottom of:
http://www.qsl.net/w5www/nostradamus.html
hmm, curious.

About the teleportation thing, last I heard, the “biggest” thing they teleported was the spin of an electron, and that’s not so much a teleportation as it was a transfer.

They probably did some more after that though, I don’t really follow those news.

Martin

theeth: As I understand it (probably don’t), it’s not a “real” transfer because theres no delay in time from when the physical characteristics are “transfered” and when the characteristics appear.

Anyway, to keep the topic on track (John Titor himselft about paradoxes):

And about the small pictures (mentioned earlier this thread) there are bigger ones at this webpage . http://www.anomalies.net/time_travel/john.html

Hey, does anyone know where the proceeds from his book go?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591964369/ref=ase_theanomaliesn-20/102-1686052-7756129

Also, read the first spotlight review on that link.

If I did come from the future, I think that in order to absolutely convince people, I would bring back something that could only have come from there, like the latest computer. Or a photgraph of a celebrity when they are really old (maybe not Joan Collins though, she’d probably look younger).

No.
Think of it this way…

if the time traveler were to warn us of WWIII and the fact that we can stop it,
then the time traveler wont have to go back in time at all beacuse of the fact that their is no WWIII.

In the case of explortain, the traveler may at one point deside that such a device may be to dangres to have around and so go back in time to stop the technlogy fom evan be considerd as a posablty.

Or that he woud just be some geek that no one notices at all.

See my point?