time traveling is possible

I’m not going to read all of this because I’ve talked about it before and it’s boring me, but it’s all fake. The people from the forum he originally posted at somehow tracked his email addresses and they were still being used even after he claimed to be going back to the future. It is suspected to be a popular sci-fi writer testing his story.

If I had a time machine I would probably travel into the far future and study things and grab a few things to bring back with me. Come back and take claim that I invented those things, become rich and live happy. For three years I will probably suffer from a common flu that I got while I was in the future. Now being in the past they can’t find a cure because they lack the technology. It eventually spreads and becomes a plague and millions die. I try and use the time machine to go back for a cure but a hurricane hit my house and ripped it apart while I was at the hostpital. I end up dieing under a bridge with 12 other homeless people. 10 years later most human beings have died and those who exist are underground living as moles. 100 years from then all life is dieing, and 1000 years later earth is dead.

Is it really necessary to bring religion into it?

Anyway, I have thought about going back in time and I do not believe it is impossible but incredably dangerous. What people dont understand is that the slightest little change on something that happens could cause a massive change in the way the world was before the “time traveller” left.

For example: lets say this John (Ill use John since he is a real time traveler %| ) goes back 1975 and while he is there he stops at a stop light and all the cars stop behind him (sounds simple and nothing wrong but read on) well the car behind him happens to be a man who is in a very big hurry and blows through all the stop lights ahead of him (he would have blown through the stop light john was at if it werent for him blocking the street). In Johns origonal timeline this man was a few seconds faster (from going through the red light) and missed the lady taking her son to school crossing the street ahead. Because of John stoping this guy was a few seconds behind and t-boned the lady doing 65 mph killing the lady and her son. Well, in John’s time this kid grew up and found a cure for cancer. John had contracted cancer at an early age and was cured by this little kid now man’s discovery. BUT on this time the kid died never finding a cure for cancer and so therefor John died and was never alive to go back in time and so what would happen? I could make this a lot more complex but I dont feel like spending 5 hours writing it.

I would also like to say that, while I believe what this guy says is BS I do believe that what he says is 100% possible. If you think about it the US government is (well some believe) infringing on our constitutional rights as citizens. Of course this is what will (if it happens) cause a rebelion against the US government. So lets say this continues and by 2005 the spark of rebelion starts in the states. So now the US Military has to focus on its home front NOT on support of all the countries we are “helping” (Russia, Isreal and such). Now I doubt russians will be the ones to attack but if this where to happen I do believe that without support many countries just wont be able to fully hold together espeacially counties like Isreal who get a large amount of weaponry from the US. I believe that without the US being the police force non of the other countries helping us will want to stick around and eventually the world would kinda collapse (governmetn at least) of course I kinda spaced out what I was talkin about but anyway I think that what he says IS possible. Oh but I believe if all out nuclear war breaks out its bye bye ALL of us.

If I could time travel, I would get the last blender version ever that will be made. Then, I would bring it to NaN of the present, and then they could start upgrading that version, instead of 2.33a. I would repeat that several times.

Random

according to einsteins theories it is possible to travel forward in time, but not backward as far as I know.

Actually its the opposite I believe.

Einstein’s relativity of simultaneity states that once you travel faster than light, you are travelling into the past according to some observers, and that therefore an FTL traveller can return before he leaves. As recorded in the limerick:

There was a young lady called Bright
Who travelled much faster than light
She travelled one day,
In a relative way,
And returned home the previous night!

Time travel cannot exist…
i cant remember where i read it but u can probably google it
any here goes
scientists have conducted expirements with photon accelerators
where there is a plate perpindicular to the photons path with two equidistant holes in it and the photon is accelerated at the plate dirctly in the center of the two holes so it has to choose hole a, or b.
when doing this it seems the photon randomly chooses a hole, but upon closer inspection there is a disturbance at the moment it chooses and until it passes the plate
it is as though the photon duplicates itself and takes BOTH paths simultaniously but once it has passed through the disturbance dissapears…
basically the photon when coming to a binary choice cant decide therefore splits off an alternative dimension for the other hole
once this dimension is created we can no longer detect
anyway this leads me to believe reality is a massive-beyond-human-comprehension binary tree every possible path is taken and branches off new branches so my theory of everything is really rather simple every possibility exists its just infity therefore you can’t travel through time(well i guess we are right now though :wink: )
because it would branch off a new dimension, however we can travel through infinite dimensions.
hope this makes sence to someone other than me

funkyfool i hear you

You all should read the chronicles of chrestomanci, pretty similar theory to the mulptilpe universe thing. (except these are childrens fantasy books with magic)

So funkyfool, are you saying that every possible combination of every event is being played out in the universe as we speak?

I travel forward in time everyday. Look, I’m even travelling forward in time right now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Martin

Hey me to! What a coincidence :smiley: We should start a club or something for those who are traveling forward in time :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe that it is possible to view the past and see the relative future. But to travel to a different age will never be possible.

There aren’t any paradoxes with seeing the past, or travelling to the future (heck, our memories “see” the past, and as theeth points out we’re travelling to the future all the time, at the steady rate of 1 day/day), but there are with seeing the future or travelling to the past (including returning from the future).
These paradoxes stem from chaos theory (like Tuggles said), basically if you’re here now, and you know what happens later (or you’re back then and know what happens now, it’s the same thing) then you will change it, or at least change something because of that knowledge.

The paradoxes are escaped though if you accept the multiverse theory, say that you only know a possible future, but then looking into the future is rather pointless, because odds are against that actually becoming the future.

Incidentally, if you travel faster than light, time does not go backwards. It goes sideways. The time dilation forumla (as well as the mass dilation and length contraction forumlae) give imagionary answers for v > c.
This is generally taken as the proof that you can’t travel faster than light - that and that because of mass dilation it would take infinite energy to reach the speed of light, because by then you’d have infinite mass.

hehe yeah im travelling into the future atm too (thats what i meant in my post).

osxrules: well, kind of, though nothing is being played out just choices made. no time passes because there is no time. kind of like seperate frames in an animation, they are all already there just the effect of being played out is simply switching between multiple frames, maybe randomly why not? but i think im just ranting now rather pointlessly… %|

Also, about the travelling faster than light thing, I’ve also read that photons have been accelerated beyond the speed of light (or maybe just really close to it( not sure)) but it basically has the effect again of being in two places at once. might not get time travel, but teleportation?

Photons are light. So they always travel at the speed of light. Or conversely the speed of light is the speed they are travelling.
By virtue of being light.

Actually, correct me if I’m wrong, but the majority of the ice caps are floating. Here’s an experiment for you. fill a glass with water. place an ice cube in it, then fill it to the top. The water will not overflow as the icecube melts. It will in fact drop. Now, this is just from my knowledge of ice. i don’t know if the ice caps are floating… anyone help me?

the northpole is. the icecap at antartica isnt.

Actually, timetravel in the way that Einstien described it is already proven.
Take a look at the link below (if you don’t want to read the whole article, scroll down to the picture of the airplane and read from there):

http://www.open2.net/science/backgroundbrief/timetravel/story.htm

its been a few years since i read the article about the photons…
i think it was in the houston chronicle,
but yeah i see your point :expressionless:
however i do believe that they had accelerated the photons beyond the standard speed of light, but the main thing was studying how the photons acted at super high speeds

tgremlin: thats only assuming time does infact exist, i thought i was going to sy more… but i can’t quite comrehend at the moment what i was thinking :expressionless: and its realy early in the morning here and my brains is startung to shutdown :wink:

E=mc2

it should prevent going faster than light. (for a object that has a mass).