Tissue by Alessandro Zomparelli

Interesting form, amazing details. :+1:
What was the render time? Cycles?
Is that a handle (serpentā€™s head?) on the left?
What is the project? Commercial or personal creativity?

Around 5 minutes in Cycles on CPU. Thatā€™s around 7 or 8 meshes made with Tissue streamline operation. All together this asset is around 35 million polygons (70 mil tris).

Itā€™s more abstract form, but yes I took inspiration from animal/organic forms :slight_smile: . This is personal project.

1 Like

I have just tried to install Numba for n-th time and the conflict with Numpy is fixed.
After quick test indeed Reaction-Diffusion works much faster.

Update:
Well. This was a bit premature. It turned out than if you install Numba in an open Blender instance than everything will work fine. But if you want to open Blender again it will segfault.
The solution for this is uninstalling Numba and removing itā€™s residual files from ~$/.local/lib and ~$/.local/bin

I guess that I will install Numba only for a time I want to do a Reaction-Diffusion, then save file and remove Numba afterwards.

1 Like

This is quite nice!

1 Like

@alessandrozompa Is it possible to transfer face maps from the component to the tessellated mesh?

EDIT: Such that each quad containing the component has the face sets added when the tessellate mesh is created.

You can transfer vertex groups from the base mesh to the Tessellation. There is an option in the tessellate settings post tessellation

1 Like

Ok. thanks

EDIT: Works perfectly. Thanks. Maybe Face maps can be added later. More options the better :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @silex try the latest version of Tissue with Blender 3.3.1.
I think it should work correctly now. You may also find some news in the Reaction-diffusion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @melvi thank for the suggestion. Iā€™m curious, how would you combine face maps with the tessellation? I mean, how would you use that in your workflow?

Hi @alessandrozompa I normally use the face maps to divide the component into areas I would fill with color for a color id map. So I use the tissue addon to assign the component to a base mesh with a number of quad faces. I uvmap the new base mesh so all the new components have separate uvs. The base mesh now has those face maps which I can now select and fill the selected faces with a color in texture mode.

It also helps me plan out certain areas which I can modify later when applied to the base mesh. Vertex group is cool and all but face map is better as you can store faces selections rather than verts.

Hi @melvi I think I will definitely give a look into that, thanks for suggesting it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

Hi Melvi,
I think that I will definitely develop something specific for the Face Maps.
I wanted to let you know that at the moment, you can transfer Face Sets from the components to the Tessellation. The only issue is that they are not automatically added to the list of the Face Maps. If you add the Face Map layer to the Tessellated object, you will see that it will automatically get the correct Face Map from the components.
I will try to make it smoother, but you can already have them with a small effort.

1 Like

Didnā€™t know that. Thanks for letting me know. :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hie everyone
I have an issue with the materials.
Usually in all the tutorials I saw, the material of the component stays the same. In my case, the tessellated object always get the same material assigned as the component.
So in my case, I have my component shaded with a gradient in the z axis, when updating the tessellation, not every component has this gradient, but the whole tessellation.
When removing the materials of the tessellation, they always come back when refreshing.

Had anyone had this issue and how have you solved it?

is it possible to seperate the tissue for loose part and make each piece link object data together?