Tissue by Alessandro Zomparelli

Seems that Blender doesn’t recognize the parameter Print Stats until you change it. After that, it should work. Thanks for the quick report, I’ll try to find a more elegant solution to that :stuck_out_tongue:

[EDIT] I should have found a solution for this issue. Please, let me know if it persist.

3 Likes

Just started using it, working on a Building with organic form.
Massing was done with a basic shape control Lattice and modifiers.
Then I take the “skin” of it and use Tissue addon to wrap the surfaces I want on the shape.

Wow!! Thank you.
This type of architecture would have been almost impossible without this tool

Edit: a special thanks also to @dimitarsp for his wonderful video tutorials on Tissue, other videos on SubDiv modeling for architecture and on Conceptual architectural design more generally. @dimitarsp, I knew you from your Youtube channel and I realized you are in this forum too, scrolling up this thread.

3 Likes

hey @alessandrozompa hope you’re doing well.

I wanted to do the operator dual mesh on a simple subdivided cube but i have a weird results

This is on 2.93 and its the same with 3.0

It is best to use the latest updated version instead of the bundled version from here - https://github.com/alessandro-zomparelli/tissue/releases

2 Likes

can someone help me with this ?

Hi @One_Raw_Artist. It may be interference with other addons. Try resetting your preferences in %appdata%\blender foundation\blender. I usueally change the 3.0 to something else. Then try running again and see if it works. If it does, and you wish to keep your 3.0 settings, trying disabling most external addons.

1 Like

i kept getting that error while i was setting up blender 3.0, but when i tried it , it worked fine lol , weird but as long as the addon is working, i’m not in a rush

i get this when i try to tessellate / frame

Blender 3.1.2
can someone help?

Error: Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\LEGION 5\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.1\scripts\addons\tissue-0-3-52\tessellate_numpy.py”, line 2096, in execute
same_iteration = tessellate_patch(tess_props)
File “C:\Users\LEGION 5\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.1\scripts\addons\tissue-0-3-52\tessellate_numpy.py”, line 210, in tessellate_patch
elif fill_mode == ‘FRAME’: ob0 = convert_to_frame(_ob0, _props)
TypeError: convert_to_frame() missing 1 required positional argument: ‘use_modifiers’

location: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.1\3.1\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py:132

@ alessandrozompa

How do you create your base mesh?
E.g. this one…

(from this tutorial)
I would like to be able to create similar curved surfaces (manifolds?)
E.g. Calabi-Yau
and then apply Tissue. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi 3dcal. This geometry is modelled using the Corrective Smooth modifier using the two options “Only Smooth” and “Pin Boundaries”. I recommend increasing a lot the number of iterations, until the shape looks stable.

1 Like

I just updated Tissue addressing this issue and extending the functionalities for the Frame Tessellation. You can download the new version from Github.

Those are the main news:

• Center option, that combines the behaviour of Fan Tessellation with the Frame Tessellation. It allows merging the components in the centre of the face together with an integrated opening control using the Vertex Groups. In addition, when working with Triangles, it uses the Incenter instead of the default average point. This produces a more uniform thickness for triangular faces.
  • Vertex Groups for controlling the thickness of the frames.
  • Face Weight for a uniform frame thickness for the individual faces. As opposed to the default Vertex weight.
  • Frame Boundary Thickness, for controlling independently the thickness of the boundaries.
7 Likes

Thank you for developing Tissue…so cool. :smiley: :+1:

re: base mesh using Corrective Smooth modifier…interesting curved surfaces.
I will try it asap.

I am focusing on Tissue for modeling, adding Array modifier(s).
Then using geonodes for animation. Light & shadow add mystery.
So much fun…very satisfying. :wink:

1 Like

@alessandrozompa I think making vertex group out of Curvature (Dirt mask) is broken in master.

3.1 (Tissue version 0.3.52)

master (Tissue version 0.3.52)

Hi @silex thanks for reporting the issue. I just tried though, and for me it works. The latest version is the 0.3.53 and I’m using Blender 3.2.1:

Thanks! Hmm, I just downloaded today master 3.3 and the Tissue in there is still 0.3.52.
Maybe this is a buildbot thing, will try tomorrow build.

By the way do you have any plans regarding how Tissue can work with geometry nodes in the future? I’m not sure but if the vertex groups are to be obsoleted in favour of attributes maybe moving tissue inside Geometry Nodes might be good idea? Of course I’m talking distant future where we have some physics framework with time inside GN.

Also I was recently doing Reaction Diffusion on larger meshes this can be very slow as this is single threaded operation. Maybe this might be worth looking into?

Anyway I really like your work and think that Tissue is very underestimated.

Can we see what you are doing with Tissue? :wink:

Hey @3dcal !
This one took good couple of minutes:

1 Like

Cool! Thanks for posting. :+1:
Are you going to animate it? Is that a material or texture mapped to the obj?
I don’t know what Reaction Diffusion does. Just found this cool thread on it.
I’ll have to study how it’s used in Tissue. I like organic i.e. alien shapes.

Hi Silex,
thanks for the appreciation :slight_smile:

Regarding your problem, the latest version of Tissue is not updated in the Blender’s build at the moment. I recommend downloading it from my Github page: https://github.com/alessandro-zomparelli/tissue/releases/tag/v0-3-53

Regarding GN, yes, that would be really nice. If I have plans at the moment? Not soon. GN is hard coded in Blender, and it’s not an addon. for that reason the translation of Tissue to GN is not that simple for me at the moment, but I’m definitely thinking about that sometimes.

Regarding the Reaction-Diffusion, it is supposed to be much faster using the Numba module, that you can install from the options of the addon. Unfortunately, I think that at the moment there are some compatibility issues between the version of Numpy shipped with Blender, and the version of Numba. I hope that get fixed soon.

1 Like

I’ll give github version and Numba module a closer look. Much thanks!

Also here is more finished asset made with Tissue for the project I’m working on:

3 Likes