TLWH - Official Teaser Release (coming to Steam in 2020)

Hi,

I am looking for an animator to create Character animations for my Game Project which is entirely created in the UPBGE.

The Game is called “the Long Way Home”.It is a lowpoly, storydriven, FirstPerson Walking Simulator.
You play as an old man searching his wife, while you uncover the story of the Characters.

https://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=479575&d=1491676662&thumb=1
this is the main character and one of the 4 characters that you will be animating.

Your tasks will be:
-Create Gameplay animations (ex: walkcycles, idle, etc.)
-Create Cutscene animations (several characters talking with each other and other cutscenes)
-Create Facial animations (ingame dialogue and cutscenes)

Our Team consists out of 4 People (from 17-20 years old), and we are working on the game in our freetime (I have a fulltime job and this is my passion side project). Therefore, deadlines are quite loose, but it is important that we meet them.
Comunication is key, so it is important that you can speak english, and are able to join our weekly skype calls.

The plan is to publish the finished game and get it on steam.

If you are interested and want to find out more, you can play the first Prototype of the game here (it won the last BGMC).
You can also get in contact with me over Skype (name: racerschnitzel). I´m looking forward to hear from you.

Hey everyone,

Didn´t update you guys for a while, so I thought I´d share some progress.
Character models are really getting somewhere now in my opinion. Creating appealing and stylized characters with this heavy restriction on polys is superhard. Feel free to tell me what you think of them so far.

from left to right: wife of main Character(young), wife of main Character(old), main Character(old), son of main Characte(old)
Only a few more characters left:cool:

By the way, I´m still looking for potential riggers/animators, so shoot me a message if you want to join the team :slight_smile:

Cheers!

What about some young whipper snappers?

There will definitely be one in the game at some point :stuck_out_tongue:

Not sure if you would ever consider outsourcing some of your characters, but KanistraStudio’s low poly models are mindblowingly amazing to me and almost always under 800 verts. At the very least you might be able to draw some inspiration from them. They’ve also added some really nice rigged and animated models recently.

Wow your Game looks awesome i like it i wish i could contribute but i don’t even have time for my project this time around.

When is you Upcomming demo comming?

Fred/K.S

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know how this project is going. Last month we decided to switch engines and the project now runs on Unreal Engine 4. In the screenshot above you can see a little test environment using assets from the game.
We are now a small team of 5 people working on this game and it´s coming together nicely.

Since the project is now in unreal engine, I´m afraid there won´t be too many updates in this thread anymore. I´ll let you know when I have a thread in the unreal forums ready.

Feel free to share thoughts and ideas about the project here, if you want.

Good luck with your projects!

That’s looking cool, brother.

Apart from better support and compatibility with different PCs configurations and other platforms, is there any other reason you decided to switch to Unreal?
I don’t think fps would’ve been an issue in bge.

There are several reasons for the switch:
-better support and more updates/features
-better asset management and reusability of assets
-overall better audio and lighting system
-many other small features

The engine is actually not that hard to get into and it is really amazing how fast you can achieve great results with it.

Oh, we lost more one soldier to unreal :confused: That’s bad, but I’ll remember your BGE journey, soldier! LoL

WOW That looks Super Super impressive how did you get that Flare?

Nice work on the presentation.

Fred/K.S

Just a quick screen to keep you updated.

we also have a facebook page now
https://www.facebook.com/niftyllamagames/

Shit those graphics are top-notch

These results are too striking !!! (AAA Graphics nice dwork)

U make me wanna switch too for now im still UPBGE/Blender loyal i will switch in the next 2 years maybe when UE5 will be out, im saying maybe !!! however blenders tools are just to reliable.( you just cannot resist blenders fast Workflow and modeling and animating let alone the Gaphics and lighting) Nice awesome graphics could you atleast make the demo using BGE or atleast UPBGE?

I cant wait to see more content bro !!!
Keep up the Great work buddy.
(And Goodluck)

Fred/K.S

Just thought I´d post this here as well. The game is making good progress, but we are now in need of an Animator to assist us with the project. Let me know if you are interested.

Recruiting Animator[s] and Programmer[s]

About the Company
We are Nifty Llama Games, an upcoming company, currently working on our debut Game called The Long Way Home.
Our team consists of 2 Artists, 4 Voice Actors and a Community Manager.
We are working on the project in our freetime, therefore deadlines are quite loose.
Communication is managed via Discord, as all of us are scattered on different continents.

About the Game
The Long Way Home is a heartfelt story about Frank, an elderly man who suffers from amnesia.
The player experiences the world through the eyes of Frank, as he rediscovers his identity and his haunting past.
The game focuses heavily on Characters and Story as well as creating a relaxing and rich atmosphere.
If you enjoy games like Firewatch, Life is Strange and Gone Home then this is something for you.

WIP Screenshot of the Characters

Currently, the game is being developed on a 0$ budget, meaning that we can´t pay our team in advance for their work. Revenue made off the game will be fairly split when the game sells. Our goal is to release the game for PC in 2018.

Game Engine: Unreal Engine 4
3d Program: Blender

If you like where this game is going, then please don´t hesitate to apply for one of our positions.
Open Positions

• UE4 Blueprint or C++ Programmer
  • Character Animator (preferably in Blender)
  • Music Composer/Sound Designer

If you´d like to help us with another aspect of the game (Art, Production, Marketing, etc.) then feel free to contact us as well.
We are more than happy to hear from you!

Contact
For more information, you can contact us through one of these links:

I really like how everything is dynamic and reacts to the wind. Really gives a more immersive look! I am interested in how you did it. Is it a feature in UE4 or did you have to animate it?

@Nemescraft: It is a feature in Unreal that can be easily applied to materials. It´s super cool :slight_smile:

The game looks great! Keep up your progress.
I’m not sure why you switched to Unreal. Unreal is great and way above BGE, but this game can be done in BGE a lot faster with similar performance and visuals. If time is not important, then Unreal is a good choice, otherwise BGE should have saved you at least 50% of it. :wink:

I will speak on behalf of UPBGE the root you’ve decided to go is finally paying off i can see how you want your game to turn out a very dynamic Rich in tone and textures colours and realtime 60FPS GTA colour pallete woow you’ve madea great choice using Unreal Engine 4 i too in the future if possible id be happy to make a game on UE4.

Now UPBGE is like in its BETA state u could have saved alot of time working on UPBGE remember afrterall its all about Gameplay not Graphics people love graphics these days and forget about Gameplay i trust and believe all the mechanics are 100% working and ready to be tested thks for updating your thread with new info !!!

Jus lettin u know UPBGE could have also helpedd big time u can still replicate the same results 100% or even better than UE4 it seems like u dont know how to fake what you’ve already achived !!! In BGE or UPBGE Faking is the only way to achive what you’ve achived !!!

Great awesome Game buddy and keep it uo bro !!!
Im out !!!

Fred/K.S