Toon Kirby WIP #1

A work-in-progress yet animation-ready build of a Kirby character rig in Blender 3.4.

[rendered in cycles]

I started this character in 2020 along with a few other rigs and this took a major back seat, not seeing progress until early 2022. I was able to do a little posing and even make a little dance with him as it was. So, now was as good as time as any to show what it can do.

[pose by DANCADA ] [rendered in eevee]

DESIGN
Kirby’s design introduces many challenges to make an intuitive rig. First challenge was his mouth. It needs to be flexible yet easy to pose, so I implemented the Universal Sonic Mouth method. I plan on cleaning up the control scheme and making it less breakable.
I may breakdown the universal mouth process specifically to kirby once the rig is complete.

[toon matcap] [aiming to recreate a “Right Back at Ya!” esc inhale]

Next challenge is the eyes. For this build, I went with more traditional video game eye texture swap techniques. I want to implement something more dynamic than that in the future.
Furthermore, I want to add more classic Kirby things like cheek puffs, a few hat abilities, etc. Feel like blender has all the tech to make a nice dynamic kirby rig.

SHOWCASE:

[the controls and other neat details]

If you feel inclined, try out Kirby WIP#1 and lmk what you think :slight_smile:

8 Likes

How can i download this

its linked at the bottom of the post