Trying Ubuntu, i fail.

I just installed it today on my brothers computer and now nothing cant be installed or updated. When I run Ubuntu Software Center and select what programs to install the Ubuntu Software Center just disappears. The same thing happens when I try to install from deb. I havent managed to update or install anything because of this. Does anybody know way around it and please dont say Synaptic. Im sure that doesnt work either. Thanks.

I know you’re just trolling but…

Why in the world would you install ubuntu on your mom and brothers’ computers when all you do is whine and complain about how you can’t ever get it to work?

How’s that even go, “Look here, Bro, let me install this newfangled linux for you even though I’ve never managed to get it to successfully install…this time will be the one, trust me.”

You’re family surely hates your trolling ass by now…

whatever dude. I asked for help, but thanks anyway.

have you tried apt-get from command line?

Don’t get him started on the command line…

fair enough.

Wow, everyone makes linux sound like it’s so hard, I use it on my laptop that was made with Vista (for all you compatability freaks, guess what, it has a mobo, a cpu, a graphics card, hdd, memory, and various other “every computer on the planet has this” items, and will run any software I put on the stupid thing regardless of the type of hardware it has) Honestly, Linux isn’t much different from anything else unless you’re just trying to get really in depth, about everything you could possibly ever need can be found from the easy-to-use software manager. And what’s that you say, you pushed install and the program appeared in your applications list and it worked… You make it seem like rocket science (it’s actually just computer science…)

Also for whomever said, “It’s not a ‘simplify it so idiots can use it’ trend but rather a ‘simplify it so users who have got work to do instead of learning a whole operating system before actually being able to use it’ trend.” You said word for word that it was a ‘simplify it so idiots can use it’ trend… Because all you said was, people shouldn’t have to learn anything, stuff should just work. That, precisely that, makes people an idiot… Because I’m sure the first time you got a virus, you did the exact thing you do now… oh wait, you don’t, you learned something about the OS? SURPRISING… Linux is no different. Stop whining, stop being an idiot, learn.

Until you can’t find what you are looking for than the fun begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartric http://blenderartists.org/forum/images/ba-buttons/viewpost.gif
about everything you could possibly ever need can be found from the easy-to-use software manager.

Until you can’t find what you are looking for than the fun begins.

Software manager, that’s what has been said. For basic users (organize files, view websites, emails, office package…), the software manager does it. For these users Ubuntu is by far easier than Windows. I say it from my experience with setting up machines for this type of user.

Now an interesting case. For example, a subtitle editor. You find a great one with Ubuntu software center (Ubuntu main menu->“Ubuntu Software Center”) and safely install it in less than a minute. For Windows or Mac? Search the internet (of if you’re a noob, post in the “News & Discussion” asking for one). Then be prepared to maybe get a virus (in case of Windows). In case of Mac, sometimes you pray to find basic apps for free.

I totally agree the lack of feedback when executables simply won’t run is a total fail. I sometimes forget about the “allow executing file as program” check-box when a binary I download won’t run.

I need Flash :wink:

Yeah, I’m also frequently confronted with this “Technology should just work” phrase, and I totally agree with you!

It takes several months to learn to handle a car, but when it comes to PCs, no one want to learn anything. And PC usage time is often similar to that of a car … This is just a strange attitude (apparently only) towards electronics and digital technologies.

Finally … simply everything we ever use in life needs some time to learn, handle and experience. :smiley:

I’d hate to tell you, but do one of two things, open up software manager, search flash, download one of the many plug-ins they have available that do exactly that… two, open synaptics, search flash, download one of the many plug-ins they have available that do exactly that…

Claiming not to have something that is there is simply laziness to search for it.

Definitely agree with you, with windows, it’s nearly impossible to find either A. a working application of which is the type you’re looking for, or B. A free version of A. They’re all too busy trying to make their pockets bigger, open source is definitely the way to go.

I agree with you on the lack of feedback thing though. Would be nice to receive a “[plugin name] was not found execution aborted” message or something of the sort. And having to open up the properties every time to run something does get old.

New slogan for Ubuntu proposed by me (unofficially): “Who says nothing good is free: Ubuntu”

I 100% agree with you, nice to see some support. Think maybe someone should change the Windows slogan too. I propose, “Laziness is bliss: Windows”

I have yet to not be able to find anything I need in software manager. Need I print a list of the thousands of: Accessories, Education, Programming, Graphics, Music, Internet, Science, Games, Plug-ins, Libraries, and other applications that are available free of charge via the software manager?

Forgive my laziness!
Now back to business … can you tell me which Flash authoring software your package manager finds?
Do you know the difference between the word Flash and plug-ins??

My point is, please don’t make such statements as you did a little earlier! Linux has a certain functionality for which it is well suited. So does Windows XP and so does OS X!

Obviously you don’t realize that Adobe Flash Player is a plugin… Ever re-installed Windows and went to a Flash website and it pop up the message “plug-in missing”? And, since you want to know where your Linux Flash is, how about checking their site, they have 5 different downloads for it, including these formats: YUM, .tar.gz, .rpm, .deb, and for 9.04+ Ubuntu they have APT… did you honestly look? I guess not, cause they’re there.

Flash authoring (i.e. development) =/= plugin.

Unfortunately, he was ambiguous in his first post, but read his second again.

Surprisingly enough no one in the Debian/*buntu community has felt the need to support a proprietary format when then there are free/libre solutions.

Go figure…

Strictly speaking, i’m betting you’d find something supporting flex. Anyway, if you’re a proffesional using adobe flash (the maker) you shouldn’t go linux solo. If you’re a hobbyist, learn to do it by hand or do svg, as nobody likes a pirate.