šŸš€ Turbo Tools - Faster Cycles Renders & Compositing!

yeah, donā€™t use the one under scene output for multilayer exr, use the render layer cache exr instead. Set the scene output one to something like ffmpeg or jpg. Re-read my comment above where I explained this in more detail :+1:

You can also check on the product page, this is explained in some detail.

will do. It currently works from 2.93 to 3.3 alpha. the 3.1 version of Turbo Tools can be used for 2.93 to 3.1 :+1:

1 Like

Please point me to where I find the render exr cache ?
I only know the temp folder (where nothing is)
The output folder (where I should go).
And an output created in compositor ā€¦ but there is noneā€¦ or should I create an output there?

Itā€™s the cache folder you set for the current scene. You can find it at the bottom of the turbo render settings:

or at the top of the turbo tools panel in the compositor:

and you can also set the default for all new scenes:

Then in that folder thereā€™ll be two or three sub folders:

The render_layers folder contains the EXRā€™s. Be sure to set them as 32 bit in the preferences if you intend to output data passes such as the cryptomatte:

Hi thanks, I didnā€™t understood that it has an own cache folder. Thats clear now.
The think that bugs me a bit is the naming. Why it hasnā€™t got the scene name, etcā€¦ But ā€˜RL_f1de7fcb05b8027476f417b3c8a95870_0003ā€™ that sounds like I have to rename it anyway. But your right the composite output lowers file size.
Thanks also for cryptomate adviceā€¦ I often forgot that before.

Just two things:

• Please make Render with turbo squid a separate entry in the menu. Its irritating that you can disable it and still it says rendering with turbo.
  • never eat yellow snowā€¦ got that joke, but it also irritates. No idea why its always there.
  • The 32 bit option is not on by defaultā€¦ maybe it should.
  • The Compositor looks like the normal node, I thought you have an own. Thats why I didnā€™t recognize the output. But its ok, that way I can output separate channels.
  • As for render farms. No matter if I output the main to jpgā€¦ it will write all passes there and the download mangers do download that stuff. Can delete it later soā€¦ the separate output doesnā€™t work, as turbo needs to be installed on the render slaves. Not sure how that should work. Iā€™m still strongly voting for a post effect.

Please make Render with turbo squid a separate entry in the menu. Its irritating that you can disable it and still it says rendering with turbo.

It doesnā€™t render with Turbo Render when you disable Turbo Render. It renders with Turbo Tools, which basically means it generates the cache files so that all of the compositor features such as caching, auto file output, publishing, and temporal stabilisation can work even when not using Turbo Render, for example youā€™d still want the ability to cache expensive branches even when using EEVEE. If you donā€™t want that behaviour you just use alt f12 or alt ctrl f12 (animation), and a standard Blender render will happen. Make sure you move the links from Turbo Tools render layer cache node to the Blender render layer node in the compositor before doing a non turbo tools render. This can be done automatically by selecting the render layer nodes and pressing ā€˜cache/uncacheā€™ in the turbo tools panel in the compositor (the cache EXRā€™s will remain on disk and can be brought back and automatically re-wired by pressing refresh all in the Turbo Tools panel).

never eat yellow snowā€¦ got that joke, but it also irritates. No idea why its always there.

The 32 bit option is not on by defaultā€¦ maybe it should.

Itā€™s better to leave it on 16 bit unless you need data passes, as this will half the file size of the cache files.

The Compositor looks like the normal node, I thought you have an own. Thats why I didnā€™t recognize the output. But its ok, that way I can output separate channels.

As for render farms. No matter if I output the main to jpgā€¦ it will write all passes there and the download mangers do download that stuff. Can delete it later soā€¦ the separate output doesnā€™t work, as turbo needs to be installed on the render slaves. Not sure how that should work. Iā€™m still strongly voting for a post effect.

set it to ffmpg to get a single file, the farm will need to send you the turbo render cache instead. If they give you remote access to the cache folder during rendering, then youā€™ll actually be able to view the rendered frames and begin compositing while the full animation is still rendering. Before uploading your file to a farm, youā€™ll need to ask them for the cache directory your render can use, and then enter that into the scene cache folder before you upload. Post effect isnā€™t an option, because then ALL render layer passes will always need to be saved into the Multilayer EXR Cache, which would be huge for animation, plus Turbo Render would still need to be installed on the slaves, as various data needs to be generated during rendering for the features such as Temporal Stabilisation to work.

If you want to output a single pass as another format such as jpg, then you can just add a file output node in the compositor to the pass you want. In the Turbo Comp panel you can use the ā€˜create and wireā€™ operator to automatically add the file output node for you. (enable ā€˜only wiredā€™ to only output the sockets that have links). This is also great for outputting different composition variations from a single render if youā€™d like to give your clients or director different options to choose from.

2 Likes

Just to clarify on your last point that a jpg will be generated for all passes if jpg is selected as Blenderā€™s output type, thatā€™s incorrect. Blender only outputs a single image per frame, the only way to get it to output all passes is to select multilayer exr (but that will still be a single file containing the individual passes as layers). As mentioned, you should avoid using blenderā€™s own multilayer exr and instead use the render cache.

I forgot to mention, the render cache needs to be named that way, itā€™s what allows the system to automatically switch to the correct cache dependant on the scene name, camera name and viewlayer name.

Hi guys. Turbo Tools has just been updated to 3.01. Itā€™s a minor bug fix to resolve a couple of issues a user of Blender 2.93 had found earlier today.

Available to download from the link on your receipt or from the download library of the store you purchased from.

Cheers
Michael :+1:

Since I stayed with Blender 3.1.2 because Eevee is crap slow for Blender 3.2 and 3.2.1 (lost its real time-ness which is the whole point of Eevee), I am curious as to the technical reasons behind staying with Blender 2.93, maybe a feature or two has been lost ?

1 Like

I didnā€™t ask, but most users seem to stay on earlier builds of Blender if there are addon or scripts that they rely on, that havenā€™t been updated to the most recent builds.

I recall someone mentioning that EEVEE is only slower in later builds because some of the default settings have been changed to give better results. I canā€™t remember which settings they were, possibly default samples?

1 Like

I matched Eevee setting 1:1 from 3.1.2, itā€™s Mr Slow-Vy now, no longer Eevee ;p

ah ok, I havenā€™t used EEVEE much since I made the huge ocean EEVEE tutorial. Itā€™s a pretty good tutorial if you havenā€™t seen it yet: https://youtu.be/nOdNUFPbBJM

Thereā€™s a good bit at the end which shows how to get much faster EEVEE renders (same speed as viewport).

2 Likes

Hey guys, quick video showing how to use ultra denoise mode to generate multilayer EXR files with the individual passes denoised:

3 Likes

Maybe you should a sample comp. with the classic output set to diffuse, illumination, sss, transparency and reflection (I also use the classic names)ā€¦

not sure what you mean. Do you mean you want the cache exr layers to be renamed from diff_dir to diffuse_dir etc?

Well, I just need to split up channels after rendering, so I can comp an image and that 5 outputs are the classic way.

Do you mean you want to only save the combined diffuse, illumination, ss, transparency and reflection, instead of having the indirect and direct passes? i.e. you want them to be added an multiplied and the result saved as layers in the multilayer exr?

exactly thats the classic comp I need after a rendering. So I can influence all 5 different elements.

The render layer cache EXR needs to match the render layer nodeā€™s output sockets for all the automatic rewiring Turbo does to remove any work users would otherwise have to do if they have complex node setups in Blenderā€™s compositor. I could possibly make it an option to generate a non cache EXR for that purpose, although you can rebuild the combined elements you need from the lower level layers already included in the existing render layer cache EXR. Iā€™ll have a think though.

Are you compositing in Blender? I could think about adding an automatic rebuilding button which automatically adds and wires up the math nodes to combine the passes.

I will build a simple example, once I got time. I actually just search a solution to also denoise certain passes. So RGB, Diffuse, etc. In the end there should be one exr with the correct denoised results.