Ubuntu 11.10

A few days ago kernel in ubuntu updated to 3.0.0.16
And GPU in Cycles didn’t work anymore.
But just a few minutes ago the new nvidia driver for the new kernel installed and GPU is working again in Cycles.

Really, the idea of the drivers in linux is a complete idiocy. Why changing a kernel needs to affect drivers? Make them isolate programs without any dependency like that.

Seems that disabling updates will be the best option, or at least:

• Don’t make partial updates
  • Don’t update the kernel if there is no update for the nvidia driver too

A problem perhaps someone is experiencing in Linux when playing movies with VLC: the sound is working bad.
To fix it go to VLC menu: Tools / Preferences and select “Show Settings All” and now in Input/Codecs / Video codecs / x264 check ON the “Skip loop filter”.
And that fix it.

Well, at last.
I didn’t like the default Unity desktop in Ubuntu 11.10 because it is a pain don’t have taskbar to quickly see the minimized apps and maximize them again just with a click with the mouse, because it is a pain to access installed programs, because it is a pain launch a video and it goes maximized always (VLC) and the same other apps. Because lack of hability to put launchers to apps in the upper bar.

So I tried gnome classic, gnome3, xfce, even installed linux mint and tried MATE.
But then when testing linux mint I read about another desktop option: Cinnamon.
So I came back to ubuntu and just installed the Cinnamon desktop and then log out and log in. And maaaaan, is absolutely great.
Is there on heavy development so it is going to be better yet, but just now I could configure it at last just like I want a linux distro.
So I am absolutely happy now. There is no any problem now in ubuntu for me.
Here is a capture of how it looks: (the lower panel acts as a taskbar showing the minimized apps but that is not possible to configure at the moment without accessing the dconf editor and change there the way you want it to appear. If someone decides to try cinnamon and wants a quick tutorial to how to recreate what you see in this image, ask here and I would ask. But in short, the lower panel acting as taskbar is configured in dconf editor and the launchers in the upper panel are created doing right click on the programs in the menu (that shows extended in the picture) and then three options appear and one is to add to the panel.

If you want to see it in 1920x1200 click here

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg850/scaled.php?server=850&filename=cinnamonx.jpg&res=medium

Agreed, Cinnamon is one of the nicest GUIs atm (I’m still wondering about it’s resource usage however). I’m seriously considering Mint when it is updated to Ubuntu 12.04

I have made my peace with unity, I just wish Ubuntu would get rid of that horrible brown/manilla/orange color scheme. Not the bright oranges, I can live with those. I mean all the yellowed grays.

And whenever I complain about it, I get this:

But in linuxworld, everything’s custimizable! If you don’t like it, change it!
Great. How?

That’s what I thought.

But hey, on the bright side, I’ve succefully made a semi-working Aero windowbars, and they usually don’t stop working upon distro upgrades.

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=27720

Gnome is making difficult personalize things. In unity you can change theme with “Appearance” app, and cursor theme with “Advanced settings”. But the options to configure things are really less in gnome than kde for example. Linux Torvalds had a rant about gnome because this years ago. But I think KDE is following the “Microsoft way” of using too much resources to just paint the screen and I don’t like that. And now Gnome3 and also Unity are in the same wrong path. There are a lot of people that don’t like this and we will see what happens. Is stupid the goal of having an iphone interface in a desktop.

Personally, I’m all for the redesign of the desktop. I personally use Gnome 3 but I have to admit I have tried Metro on a dev version of Windows 8 and loved it.

Touch screen monitors are the future.

Admittedly for using apps like blender I’ll always prefer a mouse I think, but I can see my self using my left to do things with a touch screen monitor and I think desktops needed to evolve with it.

It’s a little early to start altering the desktop, considering not many people use touch screen monitors, but it’s better to get thinking about it now.

The problem is when an iphonization is made and those that don’t like it are unable to get back their desktops as they were used to configure it. Because with gnome classic you are unable to create launchers for apps in the upper panel for example.

In windows is possible to deactivate metro completely, but imagine you don’t like it and you are unable to deactivate it. That is ubuntu path seems. But now with Cinnamon they can do whatever they want: I always will install Cinnamon after installing ubuntu. Perhaps soon all this will be solved (for example effects like rotation of desktops in a 3D Cube that was an effect of compiz seems back for ubuntu 12.04. We will see.

I’m testing 12.04, do not use it! Alt-G, Alt-R, etc. in Blender do not work!

I put blender in fullscreen mode always (Alt + F11 or clicking the icon in the top bar) so I don’t have any issue with alt key (if blender is not maximized that way alt is not working).

Still not working…

EDIT:
Finally found a solution pretty much using the nuclear option, disabling all Alt-related commands, which is pretty much all of them. Bye bye HUD…

The iphonization that is sold as an advantage for the users “intuitive and easy for the user”:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4boTbv9_nU#!

My ubuntu 11.10 using Cinnamon just updated to Cinnamon 1.4 and I love the changes.

I agree. My first thought when I got started in Windows 8 was, ‘omg, this is what Mark wanted Unity to be’… For the first time in a looong time seems MS is ahead of the game putting even OS X to shame. :eek:

I actually run Win 8 instead of Win 7 on my home workstation now, using it as my main OS even for production work now, it’s that stable - ans faster than Win 7. It’s kind of a surreal feeling, hehe… (Quadro box at work is still Win 7 / RHEL though)

(oh and before people opinionize this, I use all three systems, Win, OS X & GNU/Linux :))

Edit: And as this is about GNU/Linux I should add that RHEL is the industry standard for VFX workflow, not bad knowing your way around it if the plan is to work with this kinda stuff professionally. :smiley:

The point in the videos are so moot, I just want to slap Chris Pirillo silly… It’s as like the first time some random member of a lost amazonian tribe is introduced to toilet paper. The concept is extremely simple - if you know what to do. I never thought Chris Pirillo would sink that low… I wonder how many hours I spent in the Swedish Ubuntu LoCo trying to teach the simplest of Gnome functions to former Windows- and OS X users. Funny that reasoning never applies to Linux users themselves…

Funny that reasoning never applies to Linux users themselves…

Actually it does thanks to Unity and Gnome3.

Oh, this is gonna be one hell of a rant, hehe… ;D

Funny you say this, I actually had a discussion around this with a (Ubuntu/Unity-using) friend today just about this. The thing is, I have nothing against the idea of using the same GUI for a tablet and a desktop computer but it needs to be done ‘right’. Windows 8 is what Mark wanted to do with Unity, an OS that works as well on small screens as larger and also on touch devices. This is what Unity is all about but it’s (imo) a failure. And sadly enough, so is Gnome 3. But a funny thing is, why these GUI’s failed is due to totally different problems.

Gnome 3 was brilliant in it’s infancy. The GNU team set up other goals than Ubuntu did for Unity, but they actually had a really great idéa in Gnome-Shell. Sadly, when the negative reactions became to many, they caved and scaled it back and when Gnome 3 was released, all the smart things were gone.

Unity’s problem was the reversed. The Ubuntu dev’s just ignored the opinions of the users. Mark said ‘make it so’ and they went on disregarding any & all idéas outside the group, imo a huge mistake and even though Unity isn’t a total disaster, it’s not a very good GUI. Imo.

OS X has it’s own isses. Apple just kept adding functionality on top of a good OS. What they got was ‘Vista’ in OS X clothing, a bloated system - and checking the spec’s for ‘Mountain Lion’ we see the trend continues, they just keep adding crap on top.

The thing is, Gnome 2 isn’t being developed and I guess it’s beeing deemed unsecure or somethingm - me personally think they should at least have kept it updated for a couple of years until Gnome 3 was in a shape most people would view as acceptable, but sadly they didn’t do that… Lack of dev. resources I guess…

yeah, I love that about the Mint dev’s, they’re actually listening to the LinuxMint Forum users - something Ubuntu just doesn’t. This Launchpad management system they use is great for getting the code under control & boosts productivity - but sadly, it kills creativity…

Those who tested Windows 8 just don’t get it, the Windows 8 desktop is a Metro app, metro isn’t built on top of the desktop, it’s the other way around - and it’s genious. Yeah, you need to learn a few new tricks, but come on, we’re not talking rocket scence here, it’s active corners, something OS X & Windows (Compiz) used for years, a couple of days in Windows 8 and it’s as natural as the Start-menuwas… And the Metro start-screen is a much better meny than the old start-meny, you just need to get that, hehe - and I bet most will. But not all, many will keep using Windows 7 - and nothing wrong with that, it’s a pretty modern OS that too…

[/end_rant] :stuck_out_tongue:

Meh, power users are just in the minority, 90% of users want a computer for facebook, twitter, and angry birds, so obviously desktops are pointing in that direction. But when you are staring at a UI that looks like the interior of a jet fighter all day (3D apps and image editors for example) then all that lollipop stuff seems pointless, plus there is the side issue of hogging precious computing resources (and desktop space). But again, for most people, I don’t think Farmville performance suffers too noticeably :wink:

I do agree and there’s another reason the users will love Win 8, Metro and the fullscreen apps, especially when Facebook and alike starts releasing native Metro apps… I really do think MS is doing the smart thing here. Making the right move. And for the first time in like 15 years, hehe… :wink:

And that’s why Windows 8 is awesome for people like us. As it’s supposed to be run on tablets, it’s lightweight as hell - and it shows. Photoshop starts in half the time in Win 8 compared to my Win 7 install on the same box. It’s like Linux-fast… :smiley:

Well I guess I’ll give Cinnamon a try.

If anyone wants to make a metro desktop for linux, I think I would get kind of giddy.