Ubuntu 11.10

omg ubuntu 11.10. i was just recovered of it now i am getting nauseous again.
-Never upgrade -> always do a fresh install

• For the NVIDIA drivers i use the ones from the NVIDIA site. and the toolkit with all his supplements
  • Unity, well here the ubuntu-devs have lost it. i think the team is a MS plague. turning Linux into a stupid noob OS but certainlynot as smart as OSX. i download a desktop OS and what do i get a foolish Smartphone windowmanager with icons that big so even my blind grandmother can use them. and its a desktop-system without a desktop. the only thing you can add easily is a background. so stupid.

Linux 3.0 is very good tho. very fast and perfect for python. I will wait for the 12.04 LTS and will stick to that for a while. a nice goal is to make my own WM. i don’t know and wonder why Ion has stopped developing. Have the blender foundation hired those guys for makeing the new UI of blender 2.5?.

http://omgubuntu.co.uk The gnome shell looks very cool. Find ways to install it on that site and some nice themes. This is for those who want eyecandy but don’t necessary the unity interface. Pre Unity Applications,places- Menu, workspace switcher in the panel(the current workspace switcher in the dock?sidebar is very unintuitive(scroll each time) and much more.See for your self

Yeah, I am loving GNOME Shell. Best desktop of any OS to date for me.
IMO Unity is just a clone of shell that Canonical have created to differentiate themselves even more from other linux distros.
There have been rumours of a GNOME OS. I would be very interested in that going forward based on shell and everything else GNOME has done.

You must have used The compiz set of tools and effects back in 9 & 10 ubuntu versions.They were nice enough…There should be an alternative to use them too or be incorporated into unity.Why would they remove that?

Beats me.
But it makes using blender frustrating at times. Shortcuts using the Alt key are not usable.
We should contact Canonical and let them know.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=15460

or

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=118585

*@TAM

Thanks jay! I’ll check it out. Lots of options with the GNOME3 settings.

i remember cntl+ alt + 0 (camera align) not working with ubuntu!

As jay has linked, I’ve been able to solve all my key conflicts with Blender (and Eclipse) via ccsm. There is a “glitch” to bear in mind though. If you just click disable, it doesn’t really release the key (at least not on any of my machines). To get around this I first change it to a key combination that I would never use (like changing ALT+TAB for loop select to ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+SUPER+TAB) and then disable it from ccsm. Anyways, if you are having trouble getting them disabled you may want to give that a shot.

It may be irrelevant, but in my case under 10.10 with old gnome- under the windows prefs I have the super key mapped as the movement key, and under keyboard prefs the super key is mapped as control, perhaps totally disabling the super function- not sure about the more modern prefs though.

You could write a start-up script using CLI commands, xmodmap, showkey and setkeycodes (actually just xmodmap). I did this for my eeePC (the original 7" one) which dual boots Bodhi and JoliCloud to work around a sticky tab and a dead alt. I prised the keys off and swapped them around. Forgotten how. Did it once, set it up and promptly forgot about it. Mostly copy and paste.

Well. That sounds complicated though. :slight_smile:

This is all incredibly frustrating - I think I’ve got it turned off now. One problem though - shift+alt in blender doesn’t seem to work when navigating the viewport with Blender presets selected.

So in Ubuntu 11.10 it is in SystemSettings / Keyboard Layout / Options / Alt Win Key behavior but what you have chosen here, because I don’t see any option that I would like. In Ubuntu 11.04 I changed the Alt key in Linux to move a window to the Left Windows key (a key that has the logo of Windows and I have a left and a right one). But this key is used in Ubuntu 11.10 (for example with W to show the apps that are running). So what was your choosing?

A problem in Unity:
Go to the folder where you have blender and double click to run it. Now blender opens but you don’t see its icon in the left launcher bar. Now minimize blender and try Alt+Tab and you don’t see it. But if you click Super + W you can at last see Blender and go to it. (Super is the Left key with the Windows logo).
I had this problem with QtCreator and now with blender launching it this way. I am trying to understand now how to solve this.

In Ubuntu Software Center search for xfce4 and check also the goodies as this video shows:

during the installation I was asked if I wanted to abilitate a hdd don’t remember exactly the name but don’t check it (it is about to check the temperature of your hard disks so it is useless that)

Then log out, choose xfce and log in and first thing to do is right click in the upper panel and Panel / Panel Preferences and check Automatically show and hide the panel. Do the same with the lower panel. This way when running blender you can maximize it full screen.

Well, only thing is now to configure panels color to dark. But I definitely am loving this xfce4.

You always can log in using unity and you can uninstall it in ubuntu software.
Ubuntu software center is in xfce in Applications / System.

Well, I am absolutely loving xfce. And the good thing is that the Alt key problem will be easily configurable I suppose.
A video about xfce here:

Ctr + Alt + 0 is working now perfectly with xfce4 (align camera to view, in Unity it was maximizing Blender). Seems all the problems with Alt are solved now.
I can log out and log in without any problem to Unity too. So xfce desktop to work with blender and Unity when I want an iphone.

Just to point something perhaps someone don’t knows:

Are you using Ext3 in some partition or external USB disk or something?
You will find it is around three times slower than if you uses Ext4 or NTFS. For example with an USB in Ext4 or NTFS I write 30Mb/second and the same USB formatted in Ext3 gives around 8Mb/second writing.

Don’t use Ext3.

I love ubuntu 9.04…I worked! but they no longer support it.

The ability to open a terminal in a folder is back in 11.10.
Install in terminal:
sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal
And now run the command below to reset nautilus file browser.
nautilus -q
Now in nautilus you can right click a folder and choose in the pop-up menu “Open in terminal”

Another problem I was having was using Alt key in Blender. Many shortcuts using Alt were not working in Ubuntu. But the solution is going fullscreen (Alf + F11) and now all the hotkeys work flawlessly again.