Unable to Join/merge objects

After adding and duplicating metaballs I am unable to join them all together. Using the hotkeys does nothing and the Join option is absent when I click on the options. I created a torus to try to merge the metaballs with the torus however the system said No mesh data to join.

Welcome to BA :slight_smile:

Metaballs are automatically “joined”- that is to say, all metaballs are technically part of the same object, are they not? I know for sure all metaballs interact with each other

2 Likes

Metaballs in blender have only the form of:

• Ball
  • Capsule
  • Plane
  • Ellipsod
  • Cube

… so you can “mix” it with a mesh only if you convert it to a mesh and maybe use any boolean operation…

But then the blending between the objects are gone…

If you want to use it anyway then maybe some signed distance function could be helpofull …see here:

and as J ( :wink: ) said: all metaballs interact even if the are different metaball objects or copied in edit mode (sub objects/ part of the object) … but after convert it’s all metaball together… ( ← that’s also one reason why i don’t used them very much…) and sometime the coversion is… weird… so SDF…

2 Likes

Hey!

As I see it: you can try to convert both metaballs and torus to a mesh by clicking right mouse button, then select Convert to > Mesh. After that, you’ll be able to join them together.

Hope it helps you!

1 Like

Thank you very much for the advice.

1 Like

Like @joseph @Okidoki @goorman have said they are “Joined as soon as they interact with each other…”

Once you have made the object you want, all you have to do is Convert to Mesh, and you will get the outer form of the meatball figure you made…with NO interior geometry…Metaballs don’t create internal geometry …
metaball cube and sphere interaction and converted to mesh…

1 Like