Upbge - 0.3.0

It’s how most open world games work with streaming textures and objects.
Some games like Horizon have hidden loading and unloading worlds with clever zones transitions.

Using tiles you should create a world visiblity manager that will unload and lod tiles according to where the player is.

isn’t what a lod system does ? streams objects and textures ?

@anon14599097 streaming involves plotting into a buffer basically and managing a ubermaterial
(as new items are seen they are loaded into the megatexure where as uneen items are written over)

uv = uv @ megaTextuture[‘NameOfMap’]
where megaTextuture[‘NameOfMap’] = spits out 2d transform matrix to offset uv

1 Like

youle just fixed the instability related to press P + ESC + click in the 3D view. The builds from March-30 have the fix included.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot !

The builds on this page ?

https://mega.nz/#F!k9MW1KiZ!UOKzjh3IQ0GEgjQ6GUc7ug!ZtcDzYYA

EDIT : Yup ! Works perfectly ! :smiley:

1 Like

Very nice. Has anyone else tried using the Add Object actuator?

You can find a short discussion on it here:

As an Upbge 3.0 game engine user i can tell you this :

1 - The game engine is ready to use for almost every game you can think off.

2 - Starter users need some basic file setups/startups that include :

• a ) terrain
  • b ) water
  • c ) day night cycle
  • d ) character
  • e ) vehicles
  • f ) objects interactions

3 - After this basic files could be provided, users will have an easy way to tweak settings and customize they’r own game.

Details about point 2:

2.a ( terrain ) - The user needs an environment. The ground is essential for the user to have a fixed point to explore and create from. Terrain needs levels of detail and detailed texturing.

2.b ( water ) - Water has many ways of existing. Some of them are : river, lake, ocean, puddle, and rain. All these need player and objects, interactions.

2.c ( day night cycle ) - A sky, animated procedural clouds, day sky and night sky would be needed in this file. This would include proper lighting and filters.

2.d ( character ) - Basic character with basic interactions could help user to move around in game . A starter file with a character would need basic movement with mouse look and animations like move, jump, run, crouch, take, open, fire, reload, switch weapon, hit, strafe etc.

2.e ( vehicles ) A car with interior/exterior interactions would be needed for this. Also this file could include aerial vehicles.

2.f ( objects interactions ) Objects with collisions and levels of detail like environment/visual ones - trees/plants, static meshes - boxes, houses, doors, could help the user understand how static/non_static objects work.

Conclusions/opinions :

• These files would provide a starter user all the examples needed.

• Starter files would increase the number of users and finished games in Upbge 3.0

• Until these files and tutorials wont be available and managed from the source of Upbge 3.0, many users would find the program hard to work with.

I’m 100% agree. It has a name : a template

Somone should make the same templates using code, those are for logic nodes.
https://github.com/IzaZed/UPBGE-Templates

Why don’t you start creating those templates and ask people for code and help ? It’s the best way to get those started otherwise i think nothing will make it happen.

Man sorry, but the car looks like a ‘4 cylinders and a square’ and not a car, it does not turn right or left, it has no doors, lights or interior, gadgets, steering wheel, there is no driver, there are no materials assigned to anything, there is no environment, lighting and no road, there are no collision boxes, no dust, not road tire remains, no smoke from the tires or etc. The gun don’t fire nothing there are no bullets and no impact holes … i mean the whole templates are just squares and boxes everywhere … and who the afk uses q d z s for movement :rofl: ? Man what the templates look like is how the users game will look. I don’t want my game to look like a square moving around. This is the game engine visit card, what it’s capable of. And i do think the game engine has the potential to do a lot more than a square that moves! I mean with all the graphics and the features modeling sculpting coding animations rendering and stuff, all that can be done is a straight gun with no bullets no sound and not a single animation ? And the character looks like a cylinder collision box. What can be learned from that ? Not to do the same or what ?

It’s easy:
Press Space and type: “Read my Mind and create for me.” :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Man this q d s z movement was never on my mind :rofl: ! And no boxes that move around. And look on other game engines that present they’r visit card. Do you ever see a mute square that shoots air ? All the templates and the tutorials do they’r best to inspire users and use the game engine’s full potential. Than you can choose how your game should look like ! And about the creation process, some things do work the same on every engine. But in some cases there are instructions that are not present.

You confuse template with demo.

There is a difference between “knowing” and “understanding”! And with less complexity, it is easier to understand. You want better Templates? Make some!

3 Likes

I confuse nothing. I see bad templates, and people urging simple Upbge users around here to create features on they’r own. We create games, we don’t create templates and tutorials about how game engines work. Is why this game engine never created no proper game, because of all this mockery when asking for directions or proper info about how to do things in this program ! What do you want us to do ? Beg for tutorials, templates, or demos so we can do performance with this program ? Now i understand a lot of users that migrate or worse they try to create they’r own game engines ! Oh and thinking that simple users will create proper templates and tutorials is WROOOONG ! These must be done by professionals, cause otherwise they will look and work like squares and balls moving around with q d s z keyboards … :rofl: :joy: and they will soud like mute !

ZSQD are the normal commands to move in games on AZERTY keyboards, as opposed to WASD on QUERTY keyboards. Else, community can create demos and group it somewhere…
I’m not really interested/neither abled to do that.

The main upbge dev (panzergame) who stopped a while ago had a ton of simple files here: https://github.com/UPBGE/testfiles

This is mainly “rolling balls” or things like that, but it’s very convenient to learn how to use a game features or help to debug a game feature.

Lordloki think it would be a good idea to update these files for bge in blender 2.8 (and I agree too)…

Else, on “marketing” side with shiny demos, this can bring more attention but it’s too complex to be instructive imo. To see nice demos, you can have a look at files mades by pros here: https://www.blender.org/download/demo-files/ , see what works well or not in realtime, try to make the scenes interactive, with a moving player, moving objects, interactions with environments, physics…

1 Like

How will you be a game artist if you are looking for a tutorial or template every time it gets difficult? Before you can run, you need to learn walk.

When I started Blender 20 years ago, there was no YouTube, no BGE community, I didn’t even speak English. How could I learn anything? Because I wanted to! What I hear from you is just “teach me”.

You can use such a template to examine how it works. Change, replace, combine, improve it. Get Skills damned!

And stop talking so condescending and demanding. That makes me angry! We are here for fun. And we help for fun. Great Guys coding an Engine, even for fun. Everything is free. Nobody owes you anything.

6 Likes

@BluePrintRandom

i tested the newest build from today with logic nodes and i noticed the “undo” doesnt work properly. when exiting, it will undo too much, like adding the node tree to selected object will need to be added again.

maybe add some kind of blenderplayer operator that makes blender see running the viewport as a single undo step (maybe even an op box with a “undo changes” setting)?

or maybe my undo settings are wrong?

I think the logic nodes need to mark that stuff changed in the undo log somehow
, undo just reverts back to a earlier point in memory before those changes happened.

I think you are conbtradicting yourself.
You misunderstand what is tutorials and what is tech demos for people to mod.
Most awesome Unity tutorials are not made by professionnals but people that learned it before.

For example those tutorials among the best does not need to look great, because it’s tutorials to teach you how to make things, the best is once you learned the principles, it can be done same way on another engine like Upbge with some changes.

You seem so upset, why don’t you install Unity or Unreal, they have tons of tutorials, templates and tech demos; instead of bashing people trying to make Upbge tutorials and templates ( that are good unlike what you say ).

Let us work on tutorials and templates, focus on your game instead.