UPBGE 0.3 Alpha BlenderPlayer crashes when opening on Mac running Catalina

I downloaded 0.3. Alpha and the BlenderPlayer won’t even launch on iMac running Catalina. I’ve tried multiple times. Is this a known bug?

To go along with BlenderPlayer not launching for UPBGE 3.0 on Mac, I should mention that the Export “Save as game_runtime” gives the error message: “The player could not be found. Runtime not saved.”

Am I missing something? I am new to UPBGE.

Thanks for report. I will check it.
Maybe we need several iterations as i only have access to a development macos server where i can’t install anything.

1 Like

Thanks for all your hard work. I’ll be happy to test out or help in any other way.

I’m not sure how many other Mac users there are for UPBGE. I’d love to hear from others about their experiences with 0.3.

1 Like

same problem on Linux, the last time i had Blenderplayer working on my machine where back in 2019 version 2019-11-4, it is only the standalone that is broken the main UPBGE works like a charm.

1 Like

Blenderplayer and Save as Game Engine Runtime addon is working in the last linux build now.
Tested with Open Suse.

Now working in the MacOS build

1 Like

just tested it on my debian machine and it works and thanks for fixing this :grin: :+1:

1 Like

Thank You!

The Mac .dmg file is still dated 2020-07-12 on the download page. Is there somewhere else to get the latest Mac install?

Not yet, still working on it

1 Like

I upload a new build. Export runtime fixed.
I tested launch blenderplayer from blender and export a game through “export a game engine runtime” addon. Both ways work now.

1 Like

Thanks Jorge for all your work. Unfortunately I’m getting the same errors on my end. I can send you a crash report if you are interested.

I tried on both an iMac and MacBook Pro. Both running Catalina.

Thanks again though for you efforts. :slight_smile:

Hi,

This is the way I can test in Mac.

It is a MacOS X High Sierra. I can’t move the UPBGE 0.3 Alpha folder to Applications as I don’t have admin permisions.

What do you do when you test it? Do you move it to Applications or it is similar to my procedure?
Please, pass me the crash report to get more info.

Thanks.

Hello,

I do move the entire UPBGE-0.3-Alpha folder to my applications folder. To launch I double click Blender icon, but for first opening I have to go Apple menu/system preferences/Security & Privacy and “open anyway.”

Once UPBGE is open, below is screen shot of me choosing Stand Alone Start.

And below is the screenshot of me choosing add-on export save as game runtime. ( First time I have to open from system preferences like above)

1 Like

You have a new build to test. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hooray! The latest Mac build does not give me an error with embedded start and standalone start.

One question: Export_Save as game runtime on a Mac apparently saves as .app extension. I’d like to export my file to run on a PC. How do I go about exporting for PC? Or is there a way after making the .app file to change it for PC?

2 Likes

Great news!!!

The way to export for PC is exporting from a PC using a windows (or linux) build.

There was an addon for cross-platform build but I didn’t rework yet.

2 Likes

I am attempting to use the Blenderplayer along with upgbe in the download from last Friday for MacOS UPBGE on my MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.5.2. UPGBE works perfectly so far - I have run the keyboard xy cube movement example - works fine. However, when trying to run the standalone I get (1) immediate crash from Blenderplayer from inside upgbe or (2) running the export of a standalone - the message that it cannot find the player. I found the embedded path to the player inside the contents of the blenderplayer and put that path exactly into the information requested in the blenderplayer export path. Yes, it under applications and the path is: /Applications/UPBGE-0.3-Alpha/Blenderplayer.app/Contents/MacOS. I still get the “can’t find the player” message - so I must be doing something wrong with the path specification. UPBGE-0.3 is there in the Applications folder and I do find the executable under /contents/MACOS.
Is the above a problem for me because of Big Sur?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

1 Like

Currently I can test in Catalina only. I will check if export or player preview works fine there and I will come back here to report.

I just fixed it in master. The new build works ok.
The issue was the Blenderplayer.app was requesting a library from a new place.

Thanks for reporting

2 Likes

Thanks for the fix - works fine now. But now I have another problem with .3 Mac August download, big sur. I get the error messages below when starting up bge. 3 in the mac console. All seems to work until I start using python scripts (simple examples) then bge crashes. The bge_easyonline seems to create a problem… Thanks for the hard work - bge will be wonderful!

Here are the errors copied from my console:
~ % /Applications/Blender.app/Contents/MacOS/Blender ; exit;

Read prefs: /Users/******/Library/Application Support/UPBGE/3.0/config/userpref.blend

register_class(…):

Warning: ‘NODE_MT_category_Vector Math’ doesn’t have an alpha-numeric suffix

register_class(…):

Warning: ‘NODE_MT_category_Armature / Rig’ doesn’t have an alpha-numeric suffix

register_class(…):

Warning: ‘NODE_MT_category_Ray Casts’ doesn’t have an alpha-numeric suffix

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/Applications/Blender.app/Contents/Resources/3.0/scripts/addons/bge_easyonline/init.py”, line 277, in add_scripts

file = open(path)

FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/Applications/Blender.app/Contents/Resources/3.0/scripts/addons/bge_easyonline\client.py’