Upgrading natural environment 3D skills

EDIT thumbnail:

Hello everyone !

I’ve been wanting to try Rob Tuytel’s creating 3D environments course for a few months and I finally took the plunge. Thanks @insiderrr for making this very good course :grin:.

So far I’ve stopped at chapter 5 (ruined landscape) and was drawn to the creative process presented in that chapter. To focus on the ruin, I used the trees and grasses assets from the previous chapters.

My computer is not as good as the one from Rob so at some point, I had to decimate the rocks and distant trees to keep my render in the memory limits :sweat_smile:.

Please, feel free to highlight any points that stand out to improve my render :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Hey man, nice render! I’ve been wanting to try Rob’s course myself, but my laptop also isn’t quite on par with the minimum for the course. :sweat_smile:

The only two things I’d suggest playing around with would be the composition and lighting. Right now it feels like the tower’s slap-bang in the center, which would suggest that that’s the focal element, but even then the broken archway is vying for my attention. Having the tower be just slightly off to the side would make a world of difference.

Another thing that’s messing with my ability to pinpoint the focal element is the light-- the tower is mostly in shadow while the archway is brightly lit, making it the more obvious element in the render.

Hope this helps. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback :slight_smile:
I gess I was so fond of the archway that I wanted to highlight it despite it not being the subject :stuck_out_tongue:
As you suggested, the render looks better with another lighting to recenter the focus on the tower :+1:

5 Likes

like your work Marcotto!

2 Likes

I like this render. If I can give you a suggestion, leave more empy space around the ruins, specially in the bottom, on the right side and at the top of the image, trying to avoid the cut of the tower. Anyway great work!

1 Like