UV Test grid

Hi
What do you think about default test grid? I think sometimes it is too simple. Maybe, if there are so many changes in 2.5, the test grid could be change as well?

Here is UV test grid I recently made. I’m also attaching Gimp Source. I would like to license it under “CC BY”.

I think it is better than blender’s default because:

• It’s easier to find out where the up,down, left and right is on map mapped to model
  • It’s easier to put vertex on particular pixel
  • It’s easier to find out where the polygon is on map
  • It’s easier to find out If particular polygon (polygon island) is flipped

What do you think about this grid? Maybe this grid or similar map could by put into blender 2.5?
Do developers read this forum? Or there is other way to contact them?

ps. I know this map is rather big but I think it could be easily generated in blender.
ps2. sorry for my english :slight_smile:

Wow, this UV map grid looks really nice and as you have named the reasons it is more better than the original Blender default UV map.

As Blender 2.5 project opens space for new ideas to be implemented it would be nice to have this new test UV map implemented :slight_smile:

that is pretty nice, the current one is tough on the eyes, too much “vibration.”

I like it a lot, but it’d be nicer to have increased contrast between the A and H rows to give very quick visual feedback.

It looks good. I hope this UV grid will be in 2.5

Looks good. Here are some other UV grids that might provide some inspiration.
http://www.texturearchive.com/UVGrids.aspx

Or this one:

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3549/86852067.jpg

I like the one proposed by the thread starter(thread starter is better than me butchering your handle)…the others a just as noisy as the one currently implemented…and the black and white one can get confusing with just the 2 colors, it lacks relative readability, not to be rude(I hope).

Doesn’t a UV test grid need to be scalable? Other than the difficulty of writing the generator code for multiple resolutions, I think this one would be much better (thread starter :slight_smile: ) Other one is not bad if it was in color, but still less clear. Of course, there could be a choice…

looks good, easy to find where you are on your model, my only concern is can it be done procedually

The new UV grid proposed at the beginning of the thread looks much more useful than Blender’s current (although I’m not a big fan of the blurry letters, I’d prefer it without the blur).

I definitely agree with Oxben on that. The value of the letter may also follow a gradient from white to black in order to be the inverse of the value of the colored squares. Also, I see this as being procedural. With letters, after Z you go to AA, then AAA if needed etc (doubtful it’d need to go past ZZ99). And the colors and values could cycle as resolution ramps up. Alternatively, the colors could stay fixed, and the scale of the underlaying grid would decrease, and the amount of total squares would increase.

I’m glad that you like it :wink: I wrote that I believe this grid is easy to generate :wink: I program a little but I’m not good enough to write generator. Here is the algorithm according to which the grid might be generated :

• Color hues change every 45 degrees in every column
  • chessboards are (black and white) 1,2,8,32 px (it depends on image resolution)
  • size of white grid depends on biggest chessboard (div/4 or more)
  • the vertical gradient (from white to black) is put on top of it
  • two (white with blur and black) letter grids are generated so as to fit in the biggest chessboard
  • everything blends together but each layer has different opacity percentage
  • if somebody wants to have grid like 324x432 we may generate 512x512 image and cut it to lower resolution
    I haven’t thought about generating higher resolutions than 1024px, but maybe Dim advices are good :slight_smile: everything depends on the developers, they will be implementing it :slight_smile:

Whilst the image that szczuro posted is well done, for me, i think its just too colourful for long periods of use. :S
The whole point of the UV grid image is to check for stretching and island orientation and i think with colourful gradients it would make this job harder as really everything needs to be uniform.
Plain old black and white is easy on the eye and errors can bee seen quickly…i tend to use a black and white checker that is numbered 1-0 with the text being the opposite colour than the square it is placed upon.

Nice job though :slight_smile:

there are more uses, like alignment of seams…is the only one I can think of, but I’m sure there are more.

your uv is not seamless thou, I like the generated UV better.

Well for generating, can you just use a vector image?

I think this test grid is really cool, but what about beeing able to switch easily and fast between the old one and the new one.

All great grids - but yes, I’m unsure how these would work procedurally, as HenryIII and mfoxdogg have pointed out.
Would they simply ‘tile in/out’ if they deviated from their current resolution?

This is one of the most pointless things to happen in autodom. ok that was an overstatement, but why does BMW need a 0 series. They have Mini, so why are they gonna make a vehicle that will compete with their own Mini?

Dude, you use a font and some basic colour images. The software just cut/pastes them into position, and BLAM! There’s your grid, at any resolution. They’re just letters, any programmer worth his salt could easily make this procedural.

PS: I’m using this test grid for my own unwraps, is that okay?