V-ray vs Cycles

I tryed V-ray in Blender, What do you think
Left - Cycles
Right - V Ray

6 Likes

Great work on the chair and table, I think the first one is my favorite for it’s cleaner lighting and contact shadows!
Not sure witch is witch though.:+1:

Side note.
You can label the first and last images in the slider in this tab after hitting the check mark.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I didn’t realize you could add before/after labels in the slider tab. That makes it way easier to clarify which render is which. Appreciate the feedback on the lighting and shadows too!

1 Like

Always happy to help, I look forwards too seeing you other works!

1 Like

If you want to do a proper comparison you should keep the lighting (and everything else) the same, the V-ray lamp is smaller making the shadows sharper and everything more contrasty. So we’re essentially comparing lighting, not render engine.

3 Likes

It looks like they aren’t using the same color transform, so that will cause most of the difference.

3 Likes

It’s not possible to compare, because the scene and lighting are vastly different. Try one where everything is identical (lighting position/radius/strength), texture placement the same, materials set equivalently, and match the post effects that vray is adding (using rgb curve nodes in the compositor (with colour management set to:

You can use the scopes in the compositor to match up the levels, colours and contrasts :+1:

2 Likes

That’s a really fair point. The difference in lamp size and shadow softness definitely shifted the contrast more than I intended. For the next test, I’ll make sure the light sources, sizes, and positions are strictly matched so it focuses purely on the engine rendering!

Good catch! Color transforms play such a huge role in the final look—I didn’t standardize them properly across both renders here. I’ll make sure to align the color management/view transform settings for a true side-by-side comparison next time.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed advice! You’re totally right—having variations in the lighting setup and material settings makes a direct comparison tricky. I’ll standardize the lamp radius, strength, and placement, set the color management appropriately, and use RGB curves to match the levels properly for the next pass.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like