Vector handles on a curve - resampling issue

Hi!

I recently discovered I can make a use of vector handles when it comes to working with curves.

As many of you already know this, when using resample geometry node, this effectively nullifies the advantage of selected, sharp corners made with vector handles. And adds topology on otherwise flat planes.

So, I’m wondering, if there isn’t anything I’m missing here. Maybe a workaround, so you can resample only non-vector parts of the curve? I’d like to keep sharp corners, with as little mesh as possible, while still have to power to change resampling dynamically via geometry nodes on the rest of the curve, that has smooth corners. It’s great I’m still able to do exactly that via resolution preview option, but I’d like to keep this resolution option entirely in geometry nodes, for better mass control over many assets on the scene with this modifier attached. And not changing this one by one via curve resolution preview.

Is something like this possible?

I tried to demonstrate the idea in the video below.

You should be able to change resolution in GN, there’s a node for that, I think.

…ah, it’s Set Spline Resolution node.

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of this one!

Now, if you were to know how to prevent UVs from getting deformed like this, that would be perfection.

I tried to figure this out already in a different topic, but so far unsuccessful

I doubt I can help any more than zeroskilz’s - he’s knowledge in that area is far more extensive :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I’ll try to give it one more look next time I have time for it. I’ve spent way too much on this thing already.

This is my last, quick fix attempt. Creating 2 additional vectors close to the edge makes vast majority of UVs appear to look fine. And these bits will have to be, for the time being, corrected manually later on.

Not great, not terrible.

This will save a lot of time I’d otherwise have to spend on fixing/optimizing other things.

Leaving this here for others to get the ideas flowing.

Thanks…

The z-Curve-Sweeper’s UVs are receiving an update - UVs used to be calculated on face-corner indices, but will soon rely on either the Curve Factor or Length. Found a hack where evaluating the captured end-point boolean on the resulting mesh’s face domain gives you a mask for getting at the 0-value face-corner UVs so you can add in either the curve length for length-based UVs or 1 for factor-based UVs.

There is still an issue of warping depending on the type or re-sampling.

e.g. Length Resample of Bezier:

Evaluated Resample of Bezier:

:man_shrugging: Still need to think about whether that is worth trying to fix.

@MoravianLion : New UVs coming soon. Still a while tho cos I need to do some cleanup.

4 Likes