Vertex Paint - futher Development

Hi guys, I been working on a game project where our team uses only a Vertex Paint technique. This technique is not very easy but it saves u a lot of megabyte space fro your models.
We tried Maya, 3ds max and Blender. I like the way of modeling and vertex paint in Blender. In 2.8 version of Blender, it’s become easier to paint and see what you a painting and model at the same time. Also, more tools for painting you can get with an addon called “Vertex Color Master”.

But Blender missing some very important features.

1. Layer system for Vertex Color.
  2. Transparency support for alpha in 3D view for Vertex Paint.
  3. And attribute alpha.

Let’s look it separate.

1. Layer system for Vertex Color.
    It the number one request. It has so many implementations. And with them, the artwork becomes much easier to produce and correct. Layers already exist in 3ds max.

Vertex_paint_layers_in_3dsMax

• We need a layer with blending methods between them. Like “multiply”, “add”, “screen”, “overlap” and eth.
  • Mix value for blending option.
  • And feature for the “collapse all”, “mix selected layers”
  • Change the order from bottom to top.
  • Feature to change order for layers. The best is to drag and drop.
  • Possibility to have more than 8 Vertex color layers.

2.Transparency support for alpha in 3D view for Vertex Paint.
For now, you can’t see if the viewport if you paint the alpha. And it’s a bummer.

1. No Alpha socket in Attribute.

I have different topic have to get transparency in 3d view. But method like that must be eliminated.

So, guys, I am ready to create a fund for developing this type of feature for “Vertex paint” technique in Blender. Hire a developer for this task.

2 Likes

Hello.
I think you will get better feedback in Blender devtalk forum, where developers are more likely to see your proposal/project:

1 Like

Did you set up your nodes to allow transparency when you created the texture. Forgive me if I am wrong… I set up the nodes and this is my quick result…

I agree it would be far more reasonable from within texture paint and layers are a must…

What you did is assign the transparency from the texture. Yes it work, but for that you need texture. And texture is heavy(for our project). We use transparency from vertex paint, and like that we don’t need texture. Our vertex paint layer has RGBA, so we can use alpha to set up the transparency.