(video games)battle o fthe p (portable)generation

what r u going to get. wat bout xbox. mean nobodys talking bout it.
hopefuly, i’ll get the ds.

we’ll see about the games

[and the battery life]

u 4got about the poll

Why don’t you writre normally? No one is ever going to respect you if you write like that.

I agree, I don’t even understand what all this crap means :<

I’d have to agree

what does the xbox have to do with the handhelds?

is “the box” the xbox?

is there something exclusive about being a major computer geek and owning a handheld?

personally I will probably be buying neither, I’m not in the market for a handheld [beyond perhaps my ti-83+], and if I were, as I said, I would have to wait for them to come out to decide.

Write correctly or don’t write at all.

Martin

r u 12 and a 1/2 and OMG a dum A0l3r???@!@!>@?!>#!?@>$<@?!m/13.,

Welcome to Eylsiun, but remember you’ve got to write posts like you know how to write.

Write in cursive on white paper using a number two pencil: “I can write, type and speak the English perfectly.”, one hundred times as your punishment.

:stuck_out_tongue:

lol :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Sorry, I just like to write like that so I don’t forget what I have to say.
Xbox is not portable. Thats what I mean. I didn’t say it wouln’t sell.

Too early to say, but I won’t be able to afford any of them.

Hey! What about mobile Alienware notebooks?

I hate to sound like a dick, but if you can’t remember what you want to say long enough to type out a properly formed sentence, you might want to mention that to your doctor.

I’ve never understood the value of portable games machines. Especially as Plantperson points out, we have laptops and some are more powerful than next-gen consoles. Things like the GBA, PSP, N-Gage are like taking a trip to computing 5-10 years ago and you can barely make out the screen. I don’t want to play the original tomb-raider again while sitting on a bus. When I go out, I get away from computers. I find they’re just a distraction and probably cause more pedestrian lamp-post collisions than anything else.

yes. the box is suppose to be xbox
if you read game magazines nobody is focusing on xbox

Thank goodness I say. It’s about time people started shunning M$-based rubbish. The XBox is basically a downgraded PC but almost the same size. I’m sticking with my PS2. Can’t wait for the PS3 or the PSX (I think that’s what it’s called):

http://www.ps2home.co.uk/playstation_3.htm

It has a built-in dvd recorder for TV.

Thank goodness I say. It’s about time people started shunning M$-based rubbish. The XBox is basically a downgraded PC but almost the same size. I’m sticking with my PS2. Can’t wait for the PS3 or the PSX (I think that’s what it’s called):

It has a built-in dvd recorder for TV.[/quote]

Now I don’t like microsoft but the xbox is a great machine XP It beats the PS2 anyday when it comes to hardware. The only reason its frowned up on by some is because its a product of microsoft.

It has a built-in dvd recorder for TV.[/quote]

Now I don’t like microsoft but the xbox is a great machine XP It beats the PS2 anyday when it comes to hardware. The only reason its frowned up on by some is because its a product of microsoft.[/quote]
okay, so when it came out the xbox would have made a very nice pc

the ram is a bit lower than most pc users would have liked tho, and being shared with the video card is a bit of a minus

as a computer the xbox does outperform the ps2, but the ps2 isn’t built as a computer. only one processcor is general purpose, the rest are very specific and good at what they do. Those other processers are: two vector [math] coprocesscors, mpeg [2?] decoding chip, audio chips, graphics chip [drawing triangles yeah!] and a few others. In several respects [particularly the math ones] a ps2 can outperform an xbox. The ps2 is however limited by half the ram [32Mb, it stores everything but the graphics chip has its own 4Mb and the vector chips have their own 16k each and… So, textures are stored in system memory and sent to the graphics chip, but I don’t think it is likely you would fill up the system memory with graphics that were all being used simultaneously, if my math is correct that would be 500 textures, which I doubt the graphics chip could handle in the first place]

the xbox graphics system is capable of more pixel effects, it is not really feasable [though I haven’t tried] to do for example normal maps [bump mapping] on the ps2. the ps2 is capable of drawing a lot of lit and textured triangles (330 000 and maintain 60fps? It has been a while since I checked but that seems a bit much, perhaps only 30k which seems a bit low. sounds like I need to check again), beyond that it depends on what you code.

okay, so the recorder on the PSX sounds nice and all, but it is HARDLY worth the price of $1000.

You’re right, it does beat the PS2 in terms of hardware but it’s not always hardware performance that makes a good games machine. It’s the quality and number of titles available for it and here the PS2 sails past the competition. Look at the gamecube, it even has a higher spec than the PS2.

I do wish Sony would hurry up and release their next console, though. I think all of the so called ‘next-gen’ consoles are a bit dated in terms of performance. Especially now we have cards that can do production quality graphics rendering in real-time. I found a few links to the spec for the next console, what do you think?

http://forums.aliensoup.com/showthread.php?t=11815

I read in PSM that they are WAITING TO RELEASE THE PS3 UNTIL IT CAN BE AS GOOD AS THEY WANT IT TO BE, AND NOT JUST COMPETITION FOR THE OTHER NEW SYSTEMS.

Do you mean displacement mapping? I’m sure it can do bump-mapping. I’m pretty sure my old laptop can do real-time bump-mapping. I think environment mapping takes more performance than bump-mapping and the PS2 can do that too.

Hmm, you’re probably right with those numbers. Like I said, the hardware is kind of dated now. Here’s some console specs:

http://www.totalvideogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6753

Well, I payed £280 for a dvd-ram recorder at Christmas, so $1000 does seem a bit much. I heard the low end PSX with the 150GB HD recorder was coming in at around £400. The thing is, they all start expensive but become dirt cheap within a year or so once all the rich kids get their hands on 'em. You can get a Gamecube for under £80 now.