View XPort (addon): saver, locker and better quad view

Welcome to View XPort Discussion!

Get it here:

Gumroad
Blender Market

Latest

View XPort v3.2.0 (2022-08-12) NEW CHANGES
Warning: On upgrading from v3.0, to preserve saved views memo in user project file, views memo must be exported as JSON (.memo) before uninstalling v3.0. After this version installed, import back JSON file, all previous views memo would be recovered.

Foreword

View XPort (aka VXP or V.X.P.) is a Blender addon aimed to extend 3D viewport abilities.
(Formerly named “View3D Exponent” and “Exponent” before v3.)

Target Users

• who require powerful and fast view saver
  • who require CAD-style quad view
  • who suffer from accidental view rotation

Essential Module

- View Channels

The most common CAD/DCC feature but long missing from Blender. Combined with menu/button/hotkey, view channels save and load view status instantly, thus become powerful modeling helper.

View channel label could be displayed as HUD info just like other CAD/DCC.

- Lock View Rotation X

Lock mono view in “soft” way. This lock middle mouse orbit, but allow viewpoint change and perpective change with numpad keys. This is suitable for modeling.

Lock quad view in “hard” way. This lock region data, and hence viewpoint change and perpective change are disabled also. This is suitable for checking side views.

- Toggle Quad View X

When toggling between quad and mono view, the viewpoint and lock state are kept unchanged into following view.

When toggling from quad to mono and back to quad view, the position of view channel (specific sub view in quad view) is kept unchanged.

- Smart Middle Mouse

Middle mouse works as Pan or Orbit depending on lock state of current view. This is based on assumption that Pan is prefered in locked state, and Orbit for unlocked state.

In same quad view, this feature handle 3d region and side views separately. Middle mouse works as Pan on locked sub view, and as Orbit on unlocked sub view.

- Smart Region Overlap

Auto enable region overlap in mono view, and disable it in quad view. This guarantees both views always have most efficient layout.

Memorize Module

- Versatile work modes

Save and load views in linear order (Linear mode), arbitary order (Static mode) or a combination of both (Combo mode). No data loss would happen on these modes changing.

- Fast option for linear mode

This mimic undo/redo logic of common editors. Automatically remove obsoletes, duplicates and gaps from linear slots, and save unsaved current view to first slot.

(“Obsoletes”, here means saves from the first slot to the latest loaded slot. In common editors, they are treated as abandoned historical steps.)

- Powerful UI

With HUD info and hotkeys, view saving and loading is super fast. While popover and sidebar panel are also provided for more rich features.

- Save camera data

Camera’s properties are saved in camera view, and can be restored to original camera if possible.

- Save quad views

Quad view’s all four sub views, including camera view if existing, can be saved and restored simultaneously.

- Restore ortho axis name

When orthogonal view restored, its axis name (Fron/Left/Top, etc) is correctely restored.

Studio Features

(special features for studio edition)

Implemented

• Export to extra single slot format (.slot/JSON)
  • Compact memo on export (remove duplicates and gaps in memo)

Todo but guaranteed

• Export memo to earlier version since v3
  • Import memo from earlier version since v3

Usage

Author’s Hope

If you think the addon is exactly what I said in the production page. Please don’t be shy to give a positive rating for it. All positive ratings are important for the future of this addon.

4 Likes

Added #commercial tag

2 Likes

Q&A
Q: How does “Lock View Rotation EX” by this addon affect stock “View Axis” operator (Alt + MMB)?
A: In mono view, the lock works in soft way, it won’t break Alt + MMB. In quad view, the lock works in hard way, it does prevent Alt + MMB.

CAD Sketcher is a revolutionary addon in early development.
It is introducing parametric technique from CAD world into Blender.

CAD Sketcher [ Blender Addon ] (gumroad.com)

A stable workplane is must in such a workflow, and this is where View3D Exponent shines.

I am just in love with his Blender addon! It is useful yet simple and so handy at all times! Can’t believe it wasn’t created before. I am so happy to be in touch with such an incredible developer like you. I just love it.

Glad to hear! If you have later questions, feature requests and bugs reports, don’t hesitate to let me know.

Thanks to staff of blenderartists, the link error of gumroad in op has been corrected.

(The author edited on 2022-06-22.)

v1.3.2 (2022-06-10)
Fix: quad view > side views, always set “view_perspective” to orthographic when locked.
Fix: when toggling quad view, perspective state of locked 3D region is retained now.
Change: quad view > 3D region, always keep “view_perspective” state (ORTHO/PERSP/CAMERA).
Change: bl_idname “view3d.lock_view_rotation” to “view3d.lock_view_rotation_ex”.
Change: swap position of “Lock View Rotation EX” and “Toggle Quad View EX” in main panel.

v1.3.1 (2022-05-30)
Change: author name of bl_info to current shop name
Change: code cleanup

v1.3.0 (2022-05-19)
Change: rewrite all functions and combine into new class “View3dRotation”
Change: operator name from “Lock View Rotation” to “Lock View Rotation EX”
Add: lock state of 3D region is considerd when toggling mono/quad view
Add: expose “Lock 3D Region Rotation” option to panel
Add: addon preferences panel, 2 options are “Lock Side Views”, “Sync and Clip”
Add: 2 more lock states of quad view, “3D Region Locked” and “Locked”
(to existing “Unlocked”, “Side Views Locked”)
Add: depress effect for “Lock View Rotation EX” operator on main panel
…

Lucky users,
If you like it, don’t be shy to share your likeness both on the store you get it and this thread.
Your positive rating help more users benefit from this addon.
If you come across usage questions, bug reports, feature requests, don’t hesitate to tell me.
Your requests help improve this addon.

Newly Update!

v1.4.0 (2022-06-12)
Add: expose stock “Region Overlap” option to addon’s main panel.
(Display tool/property regions over the main region. Prefer OFF for quad view.)
Add: “Smart Region Overlap” option to addon prefs
(Turn on “Region Overlap” when toggling into quad view, off into mono view.)
Add: “Unlock 3D Region” option to addon prefs
(Always unlock view rotation of 3D region when toggling mono/quad view.)
Add: 3D Viewport > Menu > View > View3D Exponent, call addon’s main popover panel
(Hence the shortcut to call main panel can be customized by RMB menu “Change Shortcut”.)
Fix: toggling from quad view’s unlocked side view into mono view, hide clip planes now.
(This bug affect Blender 2.93 - 3.2, but not 2.83.)
Change: code cleanup for main panel UI
…

Lucky users, if you find this addon helpful, you can encourage others also benefit from it by giving a 5-star on gumroad, or write some recommendations in this thread or anywhere.
Thanks!

“Region Overlap” and “Smart Region Overlap” are introduced into v1.4.0
They aim to improve the practicality of quad view layout.
“Region Overlap” is a manual switch, which allow toolbar/sidebar overlap over viewport region when toggled ON.
“Smart Region Overlap” auto turn on “Region Overlap” when toggling into mono view, and turn off when entering quad view.

“Region Overlap” on popover panel
g_fsc_2022-06-13_221831

“Smart Region Overlap” on addon’s prefs
g_fsc_2022-06-13_223404

run “Toggle Quad View EX” when “Smart Region Overlap” off
smart_overlap_off

run “Toggle Quad View EX” when “Smart Region Overlap” on
smart_overlap_on

Hope someone like this new feature and this addon.

v1.4.1 (2022-06-15) Updated!

Add: description for classes and functions Change: remove useless "UNDO" from bl_options of all operators Change: minor UI tweaks

v1.5.0 (2022-06-20) Updated!

Add: in quad view, side views and 3D region be locked/unlocked independently now
Add: new prefs popover panel called from the main panel, without leaving viewport
Add: new options to addon’s prefs,

• Ortho Side Views
    Side views use orthographic projection when entering locked state. Otherwise, use previous projection.
  • Ortho 3D Region
    3D region uses orthographic projection when entering locked state. Otherwise, use previous projection.
  • Smart Middle Mouse
    Use Pan as middle mouse action for locked state, and Orbit for unlocked state. Otherwise, use previous keymap setting.
  • Pan for Half Lock
    In quad view, use Pan as middle mouse action for half-locked states (only side views or 3D region locked). Otherwise, Orbit for them.

v1.5.1 (2022-06-22) Updated!

Add: new “update” methods for prefs: Lock Side View, Sync and Clip, Unlock 3D Region

Change: “Ortho 3D Region” does not change camera orthographic to user orthographic now

Change: code tweak in ‘ViewRotation.qv_lock_side’ method

Views Memo Features of View3D Exponent

Views Memo is an extension module of View3D Exponent (addon for Blender).
It saves and loads region 3D view status with handy ui and shortcuts.

Toggle Modes (Ctrl F8): toggle between linear/static/hybrid work modes

Linear Mode Operators
Save (Ctrl F3): save current view
Former/Undo (Ctrl F4): load older save
Latter/Redo (Ctrl F5): load newer save
Clear: button text is “C”, clear saved views from all memo slots

Fast (option for linear operators): automatically remove obsoletes, duplicates and gaps from linear slots, and save unsaved current view to first slot.

Static Mode Operators (on panel)
Load (LMB slot button): load save
Save (Ctrl LMB slot button): save view
Delete (Alt LMB slot button): delete save
Begin Edit (Shift LMB slot button): enter edit mode (modal state)
– Left/Right/Up/Down/Home/End: move save
– C: compact saves (remove duplicates and gaps)
Cancel Edit (ESC/MMB/RMB): cancel edit, and leave modal state

Static Mode Operators (leave panel)
Save View: Ctrl F6 >> NUMBER
Load View: Ctrl F7 >> NUMBER
Cancel: ESC/MMB/RMB: cancel edit, and leave modal state
(Note:
“>>” means enter modal state.
“NUMBER” is slot number, 1-8 for static mode, 5-8 for hybrid mode.)

Panel
Popover (Ctrl Alt X): combined with Exponent essential features
Sidebar > View > Views Memo
Icons:
“eye” region view,
“camera” camera view,
“arrow” latest used slot
Depress: same as current view
(Note: As a know defection of Blender, button text/icon/depress does not change responsively. Hence, sidebar panel is prefered for arranging saves.)

HUD Text Info
Linear/Static/Hybrid: work modes for saving and loading
number 1-8: slot number
“+” left to slot number: saved camera view
“=” left to slot number: saved region view
“^” left to slot number: latest used slot
“_” under slot number: same as current view

Fast: “Fast” option for linear operators (On/Off)
Modal: modal state of static operators (On/Off)

Hi, I’m eager to buy the addon, I have one doubts, though. Current Blender behavior when leaving quad view and coming back to it, is to replace the upper right view with the one I was hovering on when in single view. Does your add-on, by any chance, behave differently? Desired outcome would be similar to C4D, where upon going from the quad view to a single view and back, the layout would remain the same. Thanks!

I don’t see any downloads they all seem to have gone ?

Sorry, it’s my bad, the download is fixed now. Please give a try.
BTW, the layout of essential features in panel is revamped in this republish.

1 Like

Thank for your question, Michal.
After read you text again and again, I got sad conclusion, this addon is still not you desire :sob:
Blender treat mono view and upper-right subview of quadview as same object (“Region 3D” in Blender term). When other subview (ie,“Top” view at bottom-left quaview, “quadview[0]” in Blender term) enter into mono view, it replace Region 3D. The former Region 3D data is overriden, and lost forever. So, everytime entering quadview, the upper-right subview always use previous monoview .

I have not changed this default behavior for now, but from now on, I’m giving it a try! :grinning:

v2.1.0 Beta (2022-07-17) add your mentioned feature, which I would later call as “view channel”, to distinguish exsisting “view slot” feature.

Already downloadable from my online shops, see top post.

My Friend. You have no idea how much you made my day. This is something I was literally dreaming about since I shifted my workflow from C4D to Blender - like the last missing piece or sth ;D
Do yourself a favor and start advertising your product on some C4D-to-Blender newcomers forum or group - it’s a freaking life-saver!
I’m sitting smiling at the screen right now - thanks a million and have a great weekend!

p.s. Obviously, the add-on is already mine - worth every penny!

2 Likes