Vile Metal - A project for a steel cladded dystopian from hell

This theme is something that has been lingering behind the back of my mind for a long time, now I’m going to visualize it. There’s just a lot of them to visualize, the first piece is the city wall.
Basically it’s heavily inspired Half Life 2 Beta concept art, the day I saw it something struck in me and I keep thinking about the style all the time, so after a really long time, this happened.
I name this series “Vile Metal”

Goliath’s Wake WIP

Intoxicator Forge

WIPS

Bug on the roof - Warden aerial unit

The Hunchback Behemoth WIP for Pwnisher’s challenge

Gunsmith’s submarine, a mobile base for the gunsmith

First gun for the human survivor/resistance, a modified Cei-Rigotti WIP

She gazes the sea’s rage. Concept of a pair of unfortunate woman who was slaughtered on the pier, their body perished but their soul now power the lighthouse in the raging ocean.

Timelapse:

Scorcher sky fortress:

Agony Floats - human collector airship

Howler Wall - fortress wall

Inspiration, then I twisted it into a unique theme (hopefully lmao)

And pretty much Scorn, although the style isn’t really my cup of tea, I still like it for its incorporation of organic and structural modeling

Then I saw Piotr Jablonski’s artwork in Dishonored 2 and I was immediately blown away

29 Likes

First update of the city wall and railway entrance, the sky was generated by midjourney and edited in Photoshop

2 Likes

Update, did the train, and much more detail on the railway, got another neat idea of using a human finger (but mechanized) as a railway signal. And made the head look even more alien-y, I should do the wall on the sides next, then some more detail on the top of the head then it would be done (maybe?) Since I like to keep it simple for this project.

The most important thing for Vile Metal to me is probably the paintover

3 Likes

A bunch more detail, I love this hardsurface modeling style, probably my most effective modeling style ever :wink:

I’m gonna need to do a 4K render for this one to fully bring out all its detail

5 Likes

I like this a lot, I’m really enjoying following your progress and process. I especially love the idea of the mechanical finger as the railway signal, it really adds the perfect atmosphere to this

2 Likes

Thank you ! I have like a bunch of ideas for this series left untouched, so there will be many more to come. But by doing this series I also put a bunch of other stuff on hold too :frowning: I’m kinda piling up the unfinished projects now lol

2 Likes

First piece done !
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/mzBG41

6 Likes

The next piece, just blocking out stuff and the composition idea. For this one I wanna do an airship swooping through a sea of man looking up in dread and awe

2 Likes

Rough composition and some lighting setup, minimal paintover to get the mood rolling, hmm now how do I turn this guy into an airship lol

3 Likes

Update on the second piece, this is what it look like so far without the passes for the painterly feel, but the main idea of the airship is slowly forming, it’s going to have 4 arms reaching down to the ground grabbing whatever it can or just simply destroying stuff. Greeting the new year with a Vile Metal project

4 Likes

More side detail, got some “teeth” base laid out

3 Likes

Got a chin, a spoopy eye :eyes:

s

4 Likes

@Gebalt3Dee

Im loving following the progress here.

This is great work. Brutalist, Dark, and very original.
It has a great sense of noise, everything is screaming at me, and I can hear it.

I envy your dreams. What cheese do you eat?

I want some.

3 Likes

Thanks! I just watch too much Half Life 2 beta concept art and anything related to it, even like… 30% 40% related to it like the painting in Dishonored 2, and the style of Dunwall… and eventually got this idea, as for cheese? Idk must be some expired cheese I took before I saw these things :grin:

1 Like

Switched to another angle, seems much more dramatic

8 Likes

Here’s another piece in the Vile Metal universe that I did in my free time, I call it “Fog man” supposedly an amalgamation of human who died in the field of toxic fog who got “reincarnated” using controlled magnetic dust that respond to the echo of those who died

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/X1mxv0

6 Likes

Completely missed this - this is fantastic. Mix of some of my all time favorites like Giger and Dalí, atmospheric like Stalker. Reminds me of Pink Floyds “The Wall”-Movie. Inspiring :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you! I plan to spend my entire year just expanding this series so there will be so many more works coming out of this

2 Likes

Only if I have more time per day to work on these pieces, then it would be finished much quicker, like the Howler Wall which only took me about 6 7 days since I was mostly free back then, now I have an upcoming holiday with lots of work to prepare for. But anyway here’s where I am now.
Lots more detail on the front, arms finished, gonna do the belly, then pose the arm like it’s grabbing people

3 Likes

Really crazy and awesome work! Some scenes remind me of the movie Dark City.

1 Like