Vimeo embedding fixed

Vimeo embeds now work properly. Similar to Youtube and Sketchfab embed, just put a link to a video on its own line and it will expand into a player.

1 Like

Are you aware of anything that could still cause problems when embedding vimeo videos? I tried it yesterday and it doesn’t seem to work anymore:

example:

https://vimeo.com/273370944

I did a fresh rebuild but that didn’t fix it. I’ve asked the Discourse community for help:

Turns out our IP has been banned by Vimeo. I’m not sure why that would happen and have asked them to look in to it. I’ll be back as soon as I know more!

2 Likes

Thanks for checking this out so fast. That’s an unexpected explanation.
Who in their right mind would do that? :wink:

Would be interesting to know why this happened or how it can be avoided.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m really curious about that too. I’ll assume they received too many requests from our site and throttled us, I’ll see if I can get us whitelisted to prevent this from happening again.

Thank you bartv :slight_smile: I guess they might have just been overwhelmed with the demand my wc video entries were putting on their servers :wink:

All the best,
Damien

1 Like

That would actually be pretty awesome :wink:

Indeed it would :wink: I will carry on believing that until told otherwise.

1 Like

I believe I understand what happened here. After talking to Vimeo support, the most likely explanation is that we ran into a rate limit on their oEmbed endpoint. They mentioned:

One behavior our system checks for is the number of incoming requests made by a single IP; if a server were to make thousands of requests to Vimeo within only a minute or two, it is extremely likely the server’s IP would be banned.

This didn’t make sense to me until I realised I’d been running a large rebake this weekend, which potentially could have sent many requests their way in a short amount of time. Their bans last for 7 days, which means ours will be lifted in two days.

I have good faith that this won’t be a problem again, UNTIL we need to do another rebake that is. At that point I’ll have to figure out how to rebake all posts that don’t contain any vimeo links at full speed, and rate-limit the others. Sounds doable.

1 Like

Makes sense to me. Seems like, you just invented the R-DoS(Rebake Denial-of-Service)-attack. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update: Vimeo embeds are working again, and I rebaked all the posts from the recent 7 days that were affected.

2 Likes

Great news!

And obviously the last seven days didn’t contain enough vimeo links to get us banned again. :slight_smile: