Vista Isn't That Bad!!

Weird… I have a 1.6GHz dual core with GF7400Go it vista doesn’t like it. Then again my friend has a 2.5 Quad Core with the latest graphics hardware from ATI and it works just fine… I’m really lost here about vista…

Toonist: what all does your friend use it for? Does he have alot of peripherals? My processor is a 2xdual Core 2.14 GHz… That’s my only flaw… I even have a physics card… My system sees that it’s 2.14 GHz… not that it’s actual substantially more powerful than just 2.14… thus my score suffers and some applications are barred to me.

My Nostromo N52 is only recognized on 1 profile on my machine… the others wouldn’t boot it.

I’ve had Vista hang on boot countless times.

It won’t recover from hibernation without crashing.

It wouldn’t recognize my Canon scanner or Epson printer… both were recognized by XP without disks. It wouldn’t read my USB Joystick at all… and it runs fine on XP… no drivers available, no disk… I’m SoL.

Windows security does not recognize my firewall, antivirus, or other security software and constantly battles with it for superiority… I turn off one and I have alerts from it… turn off the other and same story.

I’ve been using windows since 3.x and it has gotten easier to use… and now it’s back to the old feel of sorting through tons of crap just to find what I’m looking for… full circle… I despised the “filing cabinet” feel then, and I despise it now.

All of the visual effects are just laid over top the old programming… it’s the same underneath… and not optimised for transparency or the other appearance enhancements they’ve implemented.

Windows is still using time slice processing… This is a terrible way to manage processes… if my calender or worse… Outlook… decides it wants my processor… then my production software has to wait until it can have it back… this is outdated… Microsoft should be able to re-engineer this.

Microsoft security has always been an issue. Devices attached leave vulnerabilities, and the more features you take advantage of the more vulnerable you are. Doubt this? This fact is the reason the security updates are so plentiful.

Hold the phone… Windows (including Vista) has limits set on how much system usage an application can have. There was a comparison in 3dWorld magazine a while back… Linux… it seems is actually the best… coupled with Blender ( :slight_smile: ) which has intelligent limits set on certain features.
Microsoft still sells the same old software with very very little difference from 5-10 years ago at HIGHER COSTS!!! WTF!!!

Yeah… Microsft is a visionary company and Vista is a flawless OS (sorry Toonist… I wasn’t ranting on you on purpose…but I’m not happy with MS at the moment)

EDIT:
For the record, my specs:
2x Dual 2.14 GHZ Vivio
4 GB DDR2 RAM
NVidia GForce 8800 GTX 678
BFG Physics Card
BFG 1000 Watt Powersupply
5in1 reader and all the other norms… and ironically… a Microsoft Intellitype desktop… I had to stop using the mouse because the middle wheel was really hard to push and that won’t do with Blender :confused:

Did they actually use Vista, or did they just get to look at it? I wouldn’t trust the “average” consumer for what makes a good operating system. After all, they are the ones that download any and all software that they see. I would imagine that if you took the average computer that is running XP and upgraded it, you would have a severely limited machine. The Mojave experiment is set up to convince people to upgrade to Vista. What they aren’t telling them is that it might not run as well as XP. Once people see the commercial and run out and buy Vista, Microsoft’s job is done. It doesn’t matter if it works. A sale is a sale. Just because a computer has Vista installed when you buy it, doesn’t mean that it will run well, either. My friend got a laptop that takes about 5 mins to get up and running. The laptops not too bad, and linux runs great, Vistas just a little big for it. In a powerful quad core with 8 gigs of ram, you wouldn’t notice the difference between Vista and XP, but on average hardware, there is a difference.

While there are some things I liked about Vista, I didn’t find the changes worth the performance hit. On a clean install, Vista took about a third of my ram. XP doesn’t get to that point until I have installed drivers, Steam, Bluetooth, iTunes, etc, each with their own startup tasks. That was the biggest problem I had. I need my ram for games and blender, not for keeping the OS shiny. I have to say, I miss things like the games explorer and the newer start bar, but I’m not taking the leap. Games might play okay, but I would have to install a new BIOS that would cause my GPUs to not work in XP properly. Once I really made the leap, there is no going back. Can you honestly say that it is worth the money for people to upgrade? What does Vista offer that is so useful but isn’t available in XP? I’m not saying that Vista is shit. I just really wonder if it is as great as people think it is. Just how linux isn’t for everybody, Vista isn’t for everybody. The big difference is that Linux doesn’t want to take your money just to tell you it will not work that well.

Comparing these commercials to the Mac vs. PC commercials isn’t quite fair. Wait until the Seinfield commercials(What’s up with THAT) start, and then we might be able to talk. Apple pokes fun at “PC” while Windows claims Vista would work for everyone. There is a slight difference. Also, from what I’ve heard, Vista runs great on a Mac.

Well that’s unfortunate. In order to get past the 1.5gb limit in Blender I have to go to a 64bit os. In order to get a 64bit os I have to get either Vista or Linux.

Vista is still the lesser of two evils as far as hardware compatibility is concerned! Na, no xorg.conf file editing for me, I saw that Wacom thread and I know about it from personal experience - it is pure hell. I will not put my productivity on the line and force myself to rely on the community to help me with every little stupid thing the OS should do automatically! (and may God help you have you have an ATI card)

So it seems trouble for me is inevitable… unless I get a Mac I guess. That’s unfortunate too because I like building my own system from seperate parts. It’s cheaper than buying those overpriced Apple appliances.

So Vista is where I’m going. Hopefully 7 won’t be so bad - for the PC Market’s sake. Ubuntu isn’t enough to keep even Dell afloat. Relatively few PC users are going to tolerate this kind of crap, and Dell knows it already. And if Windows 7 is a bomb, sure Microsoft might continue to make copeous amounts of money from OEM sales, but the OEMs are going to suffer even more, Mac will make more sales, and we’ll be forced to enter the appliance age where our computers become rounded white mystery devices we have to send back to Apple to fix or upgrade.

Heh. BSOD at the olympics.

http://gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/08/bsod_nest_main2.jpg

Since SP1 has been released, I’ve been enjoying Vista. Upgrading your ram helps a lot. Need a minimum of 2 gigs I would say. I used Ubuntu for 6 months exclusively at work and I like it alot, but it has a lot of nagging annoyances that aren’t necessarily it’s fault(Flash for instance). I’ve since wiped it and put Vista back on and it runs like a champ. Bottom line: Vista is a much more polished product than when it was released. It’s definitely worth ~ $80.00 for Home Premium.

I’ve been reading a lot of Windows tech blogs lately and it’s given me a lot of insight into how Vista works and how Microsoft develops software. Unlike Linux, there’s a lot of demand to support, well, everything. Old software, drivers, etc. and, imo, Microsoft is hurting themselves by trying to do this. They should take the OSX approach and just start from scratch and support older software and hardware through virtualization. The Engineering Windows 7 blog is here. Mark Russinovich’s blog is a great resource as well.

Well I’m gonna drop in on this one and say that, maybe I’ve been one of the lucky ones, but the only problems I’ve ever had with Vista was a mild sound card/recording interface issue that was due to my piece of crap sounds card.

Other than that, it took me maybe two days to google everything I needed to know to optimize my comp, and now it runs quite smoothly. I haven’t had a BSOD since those sound card issues(which required an update of the card’s drivers and the peripherals drivers).

On the other hand, the other computer running in my house is a quad core that boots XP. Within a couple of weeks something screwed it up causing it to not recognize the hard drive, and therefore not boot. When I finally got that fixed up, we were fine until the computer stopped responding to the keyboard. The keyboard works, the computer just doesn’t listen to it(some kind of driver malfunction between XP and dell’s new keyboards. bwt, I do NOT recommend dell, go with HP).

So I’m guessing that in many ways, the decision to either way is a personal one, because people don’t always have the same bad experiences.

@4tonmantis: Relax. I’m sorry Vista has been such a nightmare for you, but there is no need for you to rip on people who’ve had a decent experience with it. All of the problems you’ve listed? Never had an issue with any of them. It’s unfair to act like(since you’ve had so many problems) you are the leading expert, or the only person allowed to make judgments on Vista.

Yeah, that’s right. When comparing two operating systems its best that a neutral 3rd party compare them rather than the companies that write the software, as they’re inclined to be biased.

I dunno maybe my logic is just a bit loopy and makes no sense at all. :rolleyes:

Maybe someday we’ll see Microsoft advertising MacOS because its really is that much better… [/sarcasm]

I’m not anti-windows here by the way, I’m just saying that these people are obviously going to cheer for their own team.

I hate vista with a passion. Since I read the license agreement in full I was infuriated. I have since decided to boycott EVERYTHING and ANYTHING Microsoft. No X Box no Microsoft windows or office. No Microsoft mice, keyboards or hardware of any kind. I have since taken with me everywhere I go a flashdrive with linux on it so that I do not have to use WinXP in public. I have gone entirely open source. I use only open software. Micro$oft are EVIL.

Flame me all you want. I will never use microsoft stuff again

http://badvista.fsf.org

That’s funny, those are my feelings towards Steve Jobs and Apple! I will never buy an Apple product, I hate them with a passion…

So Vista is where I’m going. Hopefully 7 won’t be so bad - for the PC Market’s sake. Ubuntu isn’t enough to keep even Dell afloat. Relatively few PC users are going to tolerate this kind of crap, and Dell knows it already. And if Windows 7 is a bomb, sure Microsoft might continue to make copeous amounts of money from OEM sales, but the OEMs are going to suffer even more, Mac will make more sales, and we’ll be forced to enter the appliance age where our computers become rounded white mystery devices we have to send back to Apple to fix or upgrade.

I configured a tablet on linux once. It didn’t take too long and wasn’t too hard. That was on an older version of Fedora a couple years ago. On my computer now it works and I think all I had to do was install a wacom package by typing a line in the terminal. As a linux user that learned it before Ubuntu my personal opinion is Ubuntu is crap. I had a problem with it, i forget what but it was bad enough that I just said forget it. But I’ve also have read some users not having any problems with it and loving it. I think everyone’s mileage varies. Yeah I’ve had some problems with linux but usually it is some logical reason why it is messing up (like don’t have the right file or something like that) where I have problems with Windows that I have no clue where they stem from. I’ve never had a problem with Windows where I’ve gotten a useful error message that helped me figure it out. I have a problem with my recent XP install where at times it will almost freeze up or bogs down with Explorer open. It would take forever to load and almost lock up my system. And last week i had a folder that automatically was set to thumbnail view and it was a folder with a ton of video files and it took awhile to load the explorer window. I have 4 gb of ram and dual cores. To me that i just shitty programming. I think it is important to keep in mind that no system is perfect and Win/Mac/*nix systems can all cause headaches. (I’ve gotten the mac version of a BSOD a couple of times on the macs at school.)

my vista sucks , really it does.

@oblenob: I’m sorry, but somebody has to clue you in: that kind of hate isn’t rational or sane, you might want to get help. I’m serious, I just don’t understand the violent anger, I really don’t.

I’ll add my two cents. My friend purchased Vista for their PC. Being a PC lover myself (I’m just a little intimidated at having to learn so much from scratch with a Mac) and the owner of a very fancy PC with XP, I decided to spend some time with said friend to see how Vista worked.

Everything ran slower on Vista. It is a memory hog. WMP10 on XP is a great program: WMP11 on Vista is a frustrating, slow, awful thing that I wouldn’t inflict on anyone.

The ‘Allow or Deny’ security feature in Vista is infuriating, especially since you’re either all the way with it, or nothing at all. You’re either secure to the point of inoperability, or you get nothing. Ridiculous and something they could’ve easily corrected in development.

All of the “improvements” over XP that I was seeing weren’t really improvements, either. Slightly modified icons? A round Start button instead of rounded rectangular one? I expected MUCH more than this from Microsoft after 5 years of time to develop their sequel to XP.

I even saw somewhere online a quote from Steve Ballmer saying something along the lines of “we will never make the mistake of Vista again.” I take from this that even he, Microsoft’s head man, is recognizing that Vista was crap and is crap, and that what customers really want is something that is a genuine sequel to XP next time around - the convenience and cleanliness of XP, but with genuinely new features that are also clean and convenient. That’s what XP was to Win98, and it’s what we need again.

Windows XP with Service Pack 3 is still being sold by Microsoft. Whereas Vista is scheduled for the chopping block, faster than any other version they’ve ever released. Small wonder.

And for the record once more, I’m not a Mac person. I’ve never once used a Mac. I love PC’s fine. But I damn well love my XP and after seeing & using Vista in person for a few days at my friend’s house, you couldn’t pay me to touch Vista. I was only too happy to help her uninstall it as soon as her stubborn “give it a chance” mindset crumbled under Vista’s godawful performance at virtually everything.

However, to each their own. hugs

Fondly,

Rachel :slight_smile:

I think Vista is a fine operating system.
I just cant stand microsoft.

Besides that, i am a little doubtful about this mojave thing.
The wikipedia article explains my concerns well:
"The experiment has been criticized for cherry-picking positive statements and
not addressing all aspects of Vista (which may have uncovered problems).

For example, users did not have to install Vista and the necessary hardware was already setup for them, thus bypassing any criticisms of hardware and licensing cost. Participants weren’t asked to work with peripheral devices (such as printers or scanners), nor were they asked about compatibility with older software or hardware[3].

Participants did not have an opportunity to try the software themselves[4] but were only demonstrated certain features by a salesman[5]. Another area of concern is that part of the experiment was for Microsoft to specifically choose people who have never seen Vista before, indicating that the subjects chosen did not have a firm base for making decisions. Additionally, there have been concerns that many of the problems that Vista has become apparent after long-term use, while the testers were only exposed to Vista for a short period of time."

I’ve always had a good experience with Vista, I can’t see why people hate it so much. You guys think that setting things up on vista is tough!? I tried linux a few times on my eee pc, and it’s a pain in the arse to download all the right packages and junk you need…

vista, mac, linux… they all suck

MS-DOS forever!!!

I guess no one told you about XP x64.

Oh yeah, copying the documentation and pasting it into a text file is just to much work.

Didn’t Apple run into this kind of heat when OSX first came out? On my 350 Mhz G3, 9.2 runs super snappy, whereas 10.2 runs slow as molasses- I think it will take a few years, and a few generations of computers, for Vista to catch on. BTW I despise Microsoft, and am glad to see Vista take a beating, but realistically it seems that software is always out-running hardware.

vista may be the “for dummies” os but there are alot of dummies like me out there. can you imagine tring to learn blender and linux at the same time? the for dummies books sell pretty good. i didn’t see the for geniouse books last time i was at borders. it enable me to actually acomplish something. the others may have more optential, but my skills would severly limit what it can do with me at the controls. sure the spance shuttle can go places my car cant, but my car can get me to the grocery store with me at the controls. if i tried to take the space shuttle to the store it would be crash and burn. hardware and softare are only tools, they cant do anymore that the person using the tools knows how to do with them.

x64 driver compatibility is pretty bad, I have a friend who does production work on it. btw, you sound offended, did I make you mad with my opinions?

I don’t see any rational reason to love or hate a software company.