Vista Isn't That Bad!!

Erm, No it is NOT. I have to support PC"s with Vista installed for an ISP and I deal with dozens of people every day who have loads of networking problems with Vista. Apart from that, if you are the administrator of the PC, you do not have the same permissions to your user document files that some script kiddie on the internet does. That is just WRONG!I had it on my machine for month and then XP went back on and my PC is my PC again.

I think that the harsh truth is that like Linux and Macs, you need to know what you’re doing to get the best out of Vista. You DO need to do some optimising to make Vista fit for your purpose, you DO need to look for ways to increase the performace of VIsta and shouldn’t expect that 1 opperationg system wil guess the needs of millions of different individuals and perform perfectly no-matter the circumstance.

Actually the newer distros aren’t too bad. If it is just going to be used for normal computer use most, if not all, the programs you need can be installed when you install the distro. Just when your learning if you have an older computer or you get a new computer keep the old one and put linux on it. That way if something goes wrong you have your computer with windows on it. And if you run into problems there is always linuxquestions.org. With a little patience and sticking with it you can learn linux little by little. And once you do learn it you won’t really miss windows. It isn’t has hard as people make it out to be in my opinion.

i have vista
it doesnt work with my graphics card very well…cant play games and blender crashes every once in a while
“nvlddmkm display driver has stopped responding and has recovered”

I think Vista is okay, but just that “okay.” As in I doesn’t quite break around every turn. However, I don’t believe that the “improvements” really warrant an upgrade. On of their biggest “improvements” they are trying to sell is Aero. Compiz-fusion (unfortunately a Linux only program) far out performs Aero, and I think it uses less resources. I like the new start menu, and the network and sharing center. The widgets are cool too. Yes, you can get widgets easily through another program, but from what I’ve seen, they use about the same amount of resources, and sidebar is more integrated in the os. So does Vista receive more flax than it deserves, probably. But is it great? Far from it.

And about Linux. I’m typing this post in Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. I’ve been using Ubuntu on and off since 7.04, and I love it. The repositories are a great way to get all of the programs you need. And with the newer releases, graphics cards are even easier to install. I mean, you just go to a menu and hit “enable these drivers” and your card is installed. Granted, this doesn’t work everytime, but at least you don’t have to hunt down the drivers.

The thing with Linux is, people tried it years ago, and didn’t like it. However, Linux has gotten so much better in just the past year alone.

Now, I wonder who’s going to hit me :confused:

The thing with Linux is, people tried it years ago, and didn’t like it. However, Linux has gotten so much better in just the past three years alone.
I have to second that. I remember when I first learned linux on fedora core 2 I had to set my camera up to mount like it was a thumbdrive. When I upgraded to fedora core 3 all I had to do was plug it in and a program came up automatically that let you download the images off the card and whatnot.

nothing bad w/ vista… my xp goes freakin slow, thats just because I have a 8 year old rig.

about 99% of vista problems come from manufacturers. The main offense is putting in only 1 gig of memory, when it obviously needs at least 2. Then there’s dell not enabling ahci support to run xp without installing extra drivers, which is probably common. Then there’s that vista drivers supposedly have both 32 and 64 bit code, but they don’t. Companies not offering 64 bit installs of vista, even though it’s part of the license… the list goes on and on, but all of the problems are on the hardware manufacturers’ end.

Do you have any specific hardware that works on Vista and not XP x64? As far as I’m aware they are just about on par as far as hardware compatibility is concerned.

WOW! 48 replies! I’m saying I have no trouble at all with all my drivers, and my games run faster (I did a check to see if vista runs slower: ran S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and it went at a lousy 15 fps, installed vista and…32 fps!! Of course most other games don’t improve, but at least they don’t run slower!). Now I have a fast computer, but with a 3 ghz single core with 1 gig of ram and a geforce 6800 vid card and a slow 2003 motherboard, my parents’ works just fine.

HOWEVER: it can be a real crapheap when not run properly. Even when I used XP computers at a tech camp, you won’t believe all the BSOD’s. Mine has never EVER BSOD’d! even back with my gateway 2000 it hasn’t ever done it. Of course I have a friend of my dad’s who is a professional soooo…yeah…if you configure it properly, you can do many things. And with the unwanted features, with advanced hacking you can get rid of them.

Of course I have a friend of my dad’s who is a professional soooo…yeah…if you configure it properly, you can do many things. And with the unwanted features, with advanced hacking you can get rid of them.

How many grandmas and soccor moms do you know that are also computer professionals? My grandma doesn’t do much hacking, advanced or otherwise. So if any of those features are an annoyance to her or a soccor mom they are out of luck. Windows is the only choice for people like these, and they don’t want to do any configuring. They want to be able to plug in their camera and print out their pictures with no hassles.

Shadow check out this article…

I’ve been computing since the 386 architecture days and the idea that a computer needs at least 2 GB of RAM to run is ridiculous. What has happened is Microsoft has designed something that looks pretty and runs legacy software (my biggest beef with XP)… in the process they didn’t take ANY steps forward.

Look at Blender… they don’t release a new version until there is something to release… AND… if something causes undersired behavior… IT’S FIXED! Microsoft is a software giant… and for them to tell us that after all of these years, the best they can do is offer a little eye candy and an approach to computing that bogs down the machines?

For those that don’t understand the frustration… an Operating System is not a standard application… it is supposed to handle information, processes, datacalls, user interface… loads of operations. The mark of a good operating system is supposed to be based on 2 things…
1)Ability to allow user to compute with minimal overhead.
2)Offer a GUI (Graphical User Interface) that is pleasant to work in.
Hmm…

1,2,3,4, I declare and smell a FLAME WAR!
Vista: Bad, Really bad, ok, good, or awesome.
Some have probs on vista others don’t. I’ve never in my life tried vista, but sadly all I hear is negative. :frowning:
What my opinion is that since Windows is simpler, cheaper, and easier to figure out, alot choose a PC. So that’s the major. Therefore, Windows get’s major compatibility, major everything. OSX and Linux got huge forums, stuff like that ,but the major software is anti mac, anti linux, so even the pro’s with the cash stay with Windows for Major compatibility.
All my words hopefully are anti-flame war, and ©©B345 so no one can quote it. Wait. what are the rules of ©© again? :smiley:

I’d love if threads could be ignored…

Umm… the article says: “However, we experienced the best results at a main memory capacity of 2 GB” and “If you don’t work with multiple applications at a time, 1 GB should be enough to see a positive impact of SuperFetch when compared to Windows XP.”

I would rather have the ability to multitask. (Ironically, one of the steps forward you say they haven’t taken seems to be this SuperFetch in the article you linked to. The big thing is still WPF though, but no one uses it. Surely Microsoft will force it on future programmers like they did with .net by publishing non compiling gdi examples on msdn.)

I don’t see any rational reason to love or hate a software company.

That seems rational. I’ve always been a mac user. I’ve grown up with mac and had never touched a windows computer until I was in the 4th grade. That was back when my best buddy had a gateway and we played mind field all the time. Good times, good times… :yes:

Anyways, my argument is that at some point, I had to stop, humble up, and learn windows because my school mainly uses windows platforms. I think that we should not come at software or hardware with any sort of bias. Of course, if you’ve had bad experiences with Vista, you have a right to say so. If you haven’t used it enough to have actually had problems with it, then you should learn how to humble yourself and find ways to stay out of those arguments.

The same goes for mac and linux. I find it interesting that people find certain things to rebel against because it’s the ‘trend’ or that it’s owned by a major corporation. The behavior is generally very prideful towards those corporations. In my opinion, hate like the kind against vista and mac is most of the time prideful. It’s irrational and will not guarantee your success in the computer world. In fact, if you join the workforce with a major in computers, you should learn how to use all the major operating systems.

I think, that Microsoft needs to clean up a few things, but the complaints and compliments for vista have been too inconsistent to actually say anything against it besides your personal experience.

peace,
-nick

well, that’s how I got mine configured. If you don’t want to do that, hire someone. You can’t be THAT poor, right? (they don’t charge much)

i just think it says a lot if a few dozen people take so much time out of their day to bitch about a !@#$ operating system and get all “i hate so and so with a murderous passion!!!11one!1”. either people are generally downers or just really bored. go and make something purdy.

Funny, that’s how I feel about Stallman. At least with Microsoft and Apple, there is no one man that decides everything. Being large corporations, they have to answer to some board. Stallman is ultimately the sole decision maker for GPL (through his attorney). And with his license, he wants every single thing it touches to ultimately follow his rules.

I have to say I’m surprised there hasn’t been any other videos posted yet. So let me get us going: I found this one quite amusing.

What would be the point of using it if no one followed the license? Also the updates to the GPL get a lot of community input.