Vista Isn't That Bad!!

Well, let’s just say that it’s a very hard thing to make “computer software” into “a consumer product.”

It’s especially tough for a company like Microsoft because they don’t control the hardware. Apple does. (Like it or not…) MS therefore does not know exactly what their system will be running on. Furthermore, there are only so-many variations of their system that they can ship. “Retail is a harsh mistress.”

So, you see three major “companies” (MS, Apple, and ‘all those Linux folks’) each trying a different strategy for satisfying(?) the customer and making(?) money. I really don’t know that we should bash any of them too hard because we all can more-or-less appreciate just how difficult this business is … even if our grandmothers don’t.

And Richard Stallman? (Chuckle…) “He’s his own game,” and darn-well successful at it. He makes “RMS” positively a brand in his own little well-chosen orbital path.

I think Vista is okay, but just that “okay.” As in I doesn’t quite break around every turn. However, I don’t believe that the “improvements” really warrant an upgrade. On of their biggest “improvements” they are trying to sell is Aero. Compiz-fusion (unfortunately a Linux only program) far out performs Aero, and I think it uses less resources

why unfortunately? Linux uses X11 as its display protocol. X11 contains no code for controlling the way the bitmaps sent to it are displayed, this is handled by a separate program called a ‘window manager’ i.e. compiz, metacity, wmii, awesome…

In windows parts of the display system ‘explorer’ are in the kernel, because of this the only way to ‘switch desktop environments’ is to run it on top of explorer, making an alredy bloated OS even worse.

its perfectly possable to run a new GNU/Linux OS on a pentium 1 system and still have a resnably fast system, although you wouldent be able to use a full DE like gnome.
Try doing that with Vista :wink:

I use vista and I can say that if your computer is old it will NOT run Vista well. If you have a relatively new computer with at least 1GB of ram you can run Vista without any problems. My only issue is that my computer has a Realtek audio chip so I can’t run Cod2 or Cod4 multiplayer without crashing on start so I’m trying to fix that.

Oh, ok… I COUNTER THAT MOVE HERE!!!

I dislike windows and mac as much as I dislike religion.

the only reason i have stayed with vista was because A. i dual boot into opensuse and B. 64bit support, some of the best i have seen. This is of course because ive got all new hardware and i dont expect my ancient ass legacy devices to run. If you want 64bit vista is the way to go. Alot of companies are not writing 64bit programs for mac becuase they force you to use objective c witht there cocoa compiler for example Adobe CS4 will be 64bit on windows but not mac. Plus if youve got more that 4 gigs of ram vista is one hell of a happy OS, although i was very dissapointedd to see 1.5 gigs of ram on average being consumed, but i guess i would have been more dissapointed if i was dumb enough to pay for it

I personally use Vista and OSX Leopard… I’ve never really had any real problems with either, although my system is pretty good (Macbook with 4GB ram, running Vista through Fusion). Aero doesn’t work (I’m hoping that gets fixed eventually, it’s a driver issue but who expects Microsoft to know about a Mac Graphics Adaptor. And it probably speeds up the system a bit) but on the flip side Blender didn’t run well on Leopard (due to the lack of a proper video card on MacBooks) and there’s no Mac version of Indigo. I used Windows for years and a Mac since late '07, so I like to think I’m close to neutral. I’d have to say I like OSX more, but I don’t discount Vista for it’s uses. XP… boring. Might as well put 4GB Ram to good use.

if aero is the see thru borders on windows it’s no big deal really. after a few weeks you dont even notice it. (for me a good thing, it used to be distracting)

I liked the look of aero when I saw screenshots of it, and to me the basic theme was hideous… however there are always ways to “tweak” things to get them the way you like them.

http://localhostr.com/files/42da37/Picture+1.png

Vista:

Man, these threads can be so stupid.

/Nathan

It already is… I have seen this experiment as a Microsoft vista ad on websites.

It is not convincing me at all. I personally run vista in my house and the computer was fast at first but after a year of running and with only office installed on it slowed down way too much. Now I run Leopard on my new mac.

ok, since there is an active thread about vista… i wanna ask if anyone experienced some serious lags overall, especially when weight painting with blender on vista…
if so, how can i fix it?

have you optimized Vista?
What kind of system are you running?
Are you running other applications?
Need more info!!! (sorry just finished playing TF2)

so microsoft’s new ad is, yes we know everyone hates vista but the program is still good enough to impress computer illiterate people when they are shown a controlled demonstration.

Its kind of funny. Next they will be marketing it by say “Vista: at least its not the Plague”

I don’t like spyware & malicous systems, so I’m biased, I agree, but even more when I read such an articles:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

i did some research and found that ubuntu is sluggish too. the problem is the mesh i’m weight painting has subsurf on it and is a bit too complex to handle…
thanks anyway :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Yeah it’s almost as good as Linux - they should charge about the same amount!

Seriously, other than the completely evil Search makeover and defrag (no progress bar???) I’m not disappointed.

And upgrading to either Windows 7 or Linux is free!

I know this is going to get me killed, but I’ll say it anyway. I prefer Vista over XP and Linux. Yeah, Vista hogs the ram (about 1.5gigs), but the rest of it is put to good use. This certainly will get me killed, but from what I can tell, Linux is slow, Vista runs much faster. XP on a Pentium4 machine runs faster than Linux on the same machine, or even on my 64-bit, 4gb ram, 2 dual-core machine. And Vista runs faster than XP.

I’m not saying I hate Linux, which I don’t. It has some good points, but I just don’t see enough advantages to make it better than Windows. In fact, Vista has never crashed on me, though Ubuntu and Fedora have. I’ve never had a computer virus before with Windows, even though many people here complain about it crashing and so insecure. Perhaps they’ve had a bad experience once, and then declared Jihad against Windows.

Okay, I’ve got to go, so I’ll leave you to argue. (runs away screaming from angry Linux fanboys)

It’s the oppisite way for me… And with all those comments on getting killed by posting this is true… You shouldn’t do that it TEMPS people to flame on you…

My experience in vista, I use Vista for mostly web browsing, testing programs to make sure it works on other operating systems and playing online games. I rearly use it for blender, because it slows the game engine greatly! I use it for modelling, texturing and other things that don’t envolve the game engine… It works perfectly! But this can all be done linux with no problem…

Here’s a little operating system story and history about windows, linux and a little bit of the mac, just something for all you guys can read ;):

Back in the day, when there was a kind of windows that didn’t have a GUI, there was an operating that was basicly a black screen, and you had to move around the computer with code. Steve Job came along and said, we can get more sales by making it so the person sees the computer visually instead of all code… He created a GUI, with folders, the recycling bin, and everything we see on our computers today… He called this a Mac. His computers were expensive though, and people didn’t want to buy a totally new computer just to things more easily, the biggest problem was that people used a different processor, the Macs used an expensive processor… Bill Gates came along and saw that steve jobs had a good idea, so he a got a less expensive processor which was just as good as the macs and created Windows, with the exact same idea as Steve Jobs with the GUI, since more people had his processor and it was less expensive everybody went to Windows, and since there weren’t any people with the mac, windows got the more sales… Now, Bill Gates, just went along to make this operating system and didn’t it out as good as he should of when he first began… So virus were able to get in easily with no trouble…

Along came Linus Torvalds, and thought it would be nice to create an operating system built stronger, open source and free, this is how linux was created… Other people thought it was a good idea and started adding on add-ons to linux, soon there was a Linux Community, and there was the history or operating systens :slight_smile:

Just a fun little story people to read and laugh about once in a while :wink:

Cheers!
Linkxgl