Voronoi: position

Hello

what is the position output of node voronoi for?

thanks

Blender documentation:

Outputs

Position
Position of feature point.

I already read the manual.
I still didnā€™t understand.

Is there any other material that talks about this?
preferably with example images?

thanks

Plug it into the output node of a shader tree. Now you have a reference image.

1 Like

It very literally returns the positions of the Voronoi cells. Thereā€™s no way to break it down further than that

There are some ā€œrandomā€ points called ā€œFeature pointsā€. Segments are drawn around FPs.
For example, picture ā€œDistanceā€ in docs represents the distance between current and closest FP as colors (from black to white, from 0 to 1).
As I can see, output ā€œPositionā€ ā€œfillsā€ every segment with value representing the position of its FP. As blender can show some values as colors, if you plug it into Color input, the result will be segments of colors representing its FP position on that color space (itā€™s like matrix where every position has its own color).

ŠøŠ·Š¾Š±Ń€Š°Š¶ŠµŠ½ŠøŠµ

but in practice: how can we use the position output?

thanks

Depends on the use case and what youā€™re trying to accomplish. At the broadest level, itā€™s a way for Voronoi cells to have sharp edges instead of blurred boundaries. In practice, that doesnā€™t really mean anything. Youā€™ll be best served by playing around with Position vs Distance in your procedural materials and seeing what works for which case

this output position when connected to the vector channel can produce tile ?

thank you again

You can use it to make a mosaic tile or stained glass type shader:

4 Likes

In other wordsā€¦ ā€œwhy would I use this?ā€ Is it great for fruits and vegies?. Motorized vehicles? That nasty yellow drip in my eye?

This is precisely the kind of example I advocate for inclusion in the Blender manual. Itā€™s a simple, clear use case, that does infinitely better than a line of (often obscure) text. In this case the Voronoi page isnā€™t bad at all, but it could use your capture as a way to illustrate the position output.

2 Likes

A very good application of that feature :

But itā€™s not limited to that , you can do a lot of different things but itā€™s easier to have ideas once youā€™re familiar with procedural texturing.

3 Likes

Here is one example - possibly the easiest way to do a LED display:

by setting randomness to 0. Not the full shader but what would control emission part.
Iā€™m using a very coarse resolution so that the idea shows up better.
You could use modulo and snap, but then youā€™d have to do distance based stuff separately.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Cycles shader node edge (not cavity)

If you add some vector based X shapes in there, with waves going inside, you can make a cross-stitch, gobelin like wall carpet, that can look really great with some cc0 medieval pictures, like the Bayeaux carpet, even tho, you can do it simply from a coordinate system as well, I guess :grin:

1 Like

In Erindaleā€™s shader (and geo-nodes) tutorials you can see heā€™s usually prepping for those kinds of outputs since they are generally very useful. Either for staggered texturing like above, or as a mean to obtain random values which is something I use pretty much all the time.

1 Like

Ideed, Erindale came to my mind as wellšŸ˜