Welder

Profile editing is now also available for 2.8

12 Likes

This is great, well done :wink:

Oh, that’s great. Really raises this tool to a new level!

Just threw $5 on this the other day. I’ve been using a Welder script in Max, for years, by Joker Martini, and this does all of that…and then some. This is very well implemented and is much more artist friendly than the Max version.

The only gripes I have are:

1 - not being able to weld multiple edgeloop selections at once.

2 - if 2 objects penetrate in multiple places only a single weld is arbitrarily created. If the object is big then you have to zoom right out to see all intersections(as it’s random which one it will create it on) and this makes it very difficult to finesse the weld. I’m guessing it’s a limitation and that it’s only possible to create a single weld at a time? Same as number 1 above.

3 - throws an error if you try and create a weld on an object with a mirror mod. Mirror support would be nice.

4 - can you add an option to automatically delete the proxy curve objects that are left behind after the weld is created? Also, this is interesting and makes me wonder why multiple welds can’t be created because the proxy curves are created on multiple intersections, but only a single weld is created,

Thanks mate. Great addon.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback. I added your points to roadmap. 4 will probably be an alternative option disabled by default, since collapsing modifiers will make it destructive.

3 Likes

Can you add an animated torch, particle sparks flying and volumetric smoke when we weld?.. J/K :wink:

Also, Johnnie, can you start putting versions in the zip file names? I think it has been Welder_2.80.zip every time I have grabbed it, if I’m not mistaken.

2 Likes

1 - not being able to weld multiple edgeloop selections at once.

• Done

can you start putting versions in the zip file names?

• Zip names changed.
3 Likes

Excellent addon. Suggestion: add another weld preset that is just square-shaped, so that it can be used as a base to bake a normal map of the other, detailed welds on it. image

1 Like

2 - if 2 objects penetrate in multiple places only a single weld is arbitrarily created. If the object is big then you have to zoom right out to see all intersections(as it’s random which one it will create it on) and this makes it very difficult to finesse the weld. I’m guessing it’s a limitation and that it’s only possible to create a single weld at a time?

• Done!

Excellent addon. Suggestion: add another weld preset that is just square-shaped, so that it can be used as a base to bake a normal map of the other, detailed welds on it.

Thanks. I plan to add something similar. Eventually you will be able to click one button and bake weld into optimized plane-based spline with alpha+normal map (with ability to choose tileble or non-overlaping option). But this will probably take more time to develop.

1 Like