What do Silkies eat? | Blender Animation

Congratulations, this work has been nominated for the ‘Best of Blender Artists 2022’ award in the #animation category! You can vote for it here.

Wow, thank you so much for the nomination!

1 Like

Impressive! Nice animation.

Thank you! :wink:

Wow, so beautiful! Thanks for sharing))

Wow, great job on everything. I imagine it wasn’t easy to make it as fluid and expressive as the show but you nailed it!

@Kovalex Thank you!

@cakeman1992 Yes, it was difficult sometimes. Glad you like the result. But most of all, I can’t believe how long it took me to make this whole animation.

Nice short animation film! What was the rendering proccess like? How long did it took to render this?

Thank you! Generally speaking, I divided the entire render into layers. I created 3 main groups for rendering. Characters and other moving objects - that is, objects that change every frame and there is no other choice but to render them in the traditional way, frame by frame. Background - all elements of the environment, furniture that are not in direct contact with the characters, or do not affect the lighting of the scene. This layer was only rendered once per camera shot, saving me a lot of time. View outside the window - this layer could easily be part of the previous one, but I wanted to be able to control the appearance of the skybox outside the window and easily adapt it to the camera angle. I don’t remember exactly how long the whole process took, but even with these tricks it was a long time. However, judging by the dates of the creation of individual frames - the rendering process alone took me about 5-6 months. In practice, probably a little less, since some frames had to be re-rendered for various reasons. But still, that was a long process.

1 Like

Woww, that’s insanely long! Do you have to keep your computer on the whole entire time when rendering in those 6 months?! I can’t imagine that lol

No, since during the day I need my computer for work. I mainly rendered at night and if possible, on weekends. But still it was challenging. I remember waking up every so often during the night to check if blender is still working :sweat_smile: And well, it wasn’t uncommon for me to find a desktop instead of blender after checking. I kept switching from GPU to CPU rendering, otherwise some shots wouldn’t render at all. Anyway, making animation is one thing, but the rendering process itself is a whole separate adventure.