What Mouse do y'all use? My middle mouse button constantly breaks

A trick question? I try and avoid using the MMB as much as possible in every application I use. Hate it in fact.

Currently using a Trust GXT 162. If you look carefully enough they can be found for as cheap as 20 € or I’ve even seen some stores sell them for 60ish €…

In the past whenever someone asked and found out I used a Trust branded mouse they just grimaced at the thought of using a cheap brand gaming mouse so after the last one failed I decided to try another logitech again. Thus the previous mouse to that I use currently was a Logitech m705 marathon, boy was that a piece of garbage. So disappointing I just returned straight to Trust again.

But honestly for the money the Trust mice I’ve used have been great in my experience. Just the button mapping software could be better, but I don’t rely particularly much on that anyways so no big deal to me.

2 Likes

I have had 3 razer mices, 2 I had to return because they were defective out of of the box, the 3rd one died in less than a year. Quality is really poor, I’d never recommend that brand.

Got a Logitech G403, simple, cheap, but solid.

1 Like

Since this topic got me curious I went and checked what I’d consider trying as my next mouse and this one seems interesting:

1 Like

The cheap Logitech mice are literally the one wired ones available in any store where I live. All of the nicer mice are wireless, and I am not willing to use them unless they have some of the emerging wireless charge tech.

About gaming mice, I have read that the category in general is infamous for things breaking and the product becoming unusable (ie. poor build quality). “Gaming” anything tends to be overpriced for what you actually get in fact (in terms of both features and quality).

Maybe. But I have a different experience. When I built my last PC I wanted to get the largest case for better cooling. There were very few options but the gamer cases were really the best value for the money. I mean the case looks kind of like a bat and blinks but that is better than paying tripple for a similarily sized but normal looking case.
Also GeForce GPU are gamer cards as opposed to the “professional” GPUs which are “slightly” more expensive.

I thought that too, but my MX Master 3 lasts a week on a single charge (with heavy use), only takes 5 minutes to charge up enough to last you a day, and you can use it like a wired mouse while charging (takes an ordinary usb-c cable). So charging is really a nonissue.

2 Likes

There’s one nice proper wired mouse with a dedicated middle button, the 3dx connexion cad mouse, the makers of the space mouse. - https://3dconnexion.com/bg/product/cadmouse-pro/ They also have a wireless version and a smaller mouse. I’ve found the large cad mouse to be one of the most comfortable and accurate mice to use, better than the logitech mx master 3. (i have a large collection)

Surprisingly, another great small mouse that doesn’t cause any strain on my fairly large hand is the logitech m535. This is my daily mouse and i use the cad mouse when my hand gets tired after longer intense cad and 3d modeling sessions.

2 Likes

Today the left mouse button on the Razer gave up the ghost. Which means I will have to replace it - no way around it.

I am avoiding the Razer brand from now on. In all of my time working with computers I have never had mice with multiple buttons fail within ~2 years of usage. This is the second Razer mouse in ~4-5 years time.

Done some research, and it seems to be a common issue with these models. No more Razer for me, then.

My 1986 Amiga 1000 mouse still works after all this time!

2 Likes

Same here with my Atari ST Mouse. Never gotten tired cleaning those rolls every 2 days.

1 Like

I have the same one and do the same thing of rebinding the MMB to the first small button by my thumb. The second button is bound to center view to cursor.

1 Like

I stick to Logitech mice, cord. They are durable, quite precise and at a good price.

1 Like

I use a Titanwolf gameing mouse with cable. I hate batteries, they make the mouse to heavy. It’s a very inexpensive but robust mouse. But, I general try to avoid the MMB by remapping. There are additional mouse buttons on the side, but that doesn’t work well when dragging. Many mouse drivers do not even offer MMB configuration anymore. I think it’s time the software developers get rid of silly constraints to MMB and let the user better adjust the software to there needs. MMB in a Pen is even harder. Anyway that mouse does a very good job and it’s not only for Windows.

1 Like

Logitech MX Master 2S… The Master 3S i purchased turned out to be Mac only, and the PC version sold out. Its a good mouse but i cant say that i use the extra buttons. Must start trying. Its not as comfortable as my old Razer Death-adder used to be tho.

The hidden thumb button can be bound to ctrl+z in Blender for undo… quite useful.

1 Like

Logitech MX Master 3: imprecise and uncontrollable mouse wheel behaviours, tiny and uncomfortable side buttons. Overdesigned. Returned to the store.

Logitech G603 is great, however buttons are a bit loud. Quite happy with it but still looking for a Holy Grail Mouse.

1 Like

Haven’t settled on any mouse.

I don’t like them. Though haven’t tried the 3d mouses

I purchased a new mouse a few days ago when my Razer’s left mouse button broke (as reported earlier in this thread.

This time I decided to aim completely left-field, and avoid typical brands like Logitech, Razer, corsair, etcetera, and after much research went with the Steelseries Sensei 10. It was a battle between that one and the Ducky. The Ducky design, however, reminded me too much of a grilled duck hanging in the window of a Hong-Kong restaurant. Since I am a vegetarian that meant the Ducky was a no-go.

It’s an ambidextrous wired mouse (which I want, because I switch to either hand all the time, in combination with my Wacom tablet and I hate wireless peripherals which have a tendency to run out of juice at the wrong times), has a ridiculously high dpi, and a no-nonsense ergonomic plain design without a braided cable (braided cables are terrible in my experience).

It sports side buttons on both sides, and one pyramidal shaped smaller top button to switch DPI setting. Since this is an ambidextrous ergonomic design it feels a hundred times better to work with than the Deathadder in my workflow.

It works great so far. The Steelseries software I refuse to install: over 150 megabytes for the installer alone is just ridiculously overkill. So instead I rely on the fantastic X-Mouse Button Control to control settings. The highest DPI setting causes the mouse cursor to be too slow Windows-side, and X-Mouse Button Control solves this with a mouse speed override. Without the Steelseries bloatware I cannot control the LED lighting, but since that is rather understated on this mouse (looks like a sleek office mouse with an extra tail light) I could not care less.

As for gaming it is a bit of a revelation compared to my old Razer Deathadder v1 mouse: it’s super precise, and the mouse buttons extremely responsive with a satisfying click feel. I might even state here that the clicks ‘feel’ the best of any mouse I ever worked with these past 30 years.

Even in the first session of Far Cry 5 I pulled off stunts and head-shots that I did not know were possible… The enhanced DPI sensitivity definitely helps. Halo is far more controllable now, and it feels like cheating at times.

The store where I purchased this mouse offers a 4 year in-house replacement no questions asked plan, which I got. I usually never bother, but in this case my trust level regarding the longevity and durability of computer mice is utterly shattered after four broken mice in 8 years. For an expensive mouse like this one an extra $15 guarantees access to a fully functional mouse for that time span.

Let’s see how it holds up the upcoming year. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Quoted for agreement!

As for mouse driver software: on Windows the free X-Mouse Button Control utility is small, can be run as a portable app, and allows for various configurations in different ‘layers’. I now use this instead of the bloated manufacturer’s software, and it works fine.

Hey there. I use Logitech and it doesn’t fail apart so far. But it’s a bit hard (not smooth) to press.

For the last 5-6 years I just use this IntelliExplorer3.0, I found it somewhere since I worked in IT back then, it was used for quite a lot of years and it had also broken switches.
2021-02-01 18_18_01-intelli explorer - Google Search - Brave

Not to mention that I have bought an entire packet of these bad boys and all the switches have been replaced more than once. There were cases also that a brand new switch out of the packet, could be faulty right from the first 3-4 months. And since these are mechanical pieces, no one knows if they last for long.
2021-02-01 18_16_52-omron switch _ eBay - Brave