Which Blender features do you actively use?

I’m curious which Blender features are actively used by you, and which features aren’t.

Personally, I mainly use Blender for (in order of importance):

1. Character / toy sculpting (particularly using Dyntopo :love_you_gesture::slightly_smiling_face:).
  2. Polygon subdivision modeling (character parts and props, hard-surface models).
  3. Material creation, lighting and rendering.
  4. Animation.
  5. Compositing.

Used sometimes:

• Particle systems (for hair, fur, object scattering, stylized effects animation).
  • Video editing.
  • Armatures / Rigging.
  • NPR / toon rendering.

Rarely used:

• Grease Pencil (despite having a background in 2D animation).
  • Nonlinear animation (I think it’s not very convenient / user-friendly in its current form).
  • Houdini-like technical / procedural animation such as pyro effects, crowd sims.
  • Physics animation.
  • Cloth simulation.
  • Motion tracking.
  • Manual retopology (I’m lazy and therefore a lover of auto-retopology).
  • UV texture painting (I dislike UV unwrapping and UV organizing, so I’m a lover of procedural textures and vertex color painting).
  • Scripting.
4 Likes

Nice topic! :slight_smile: I mostly work on characters, so there’s no way around certain other packages for now.

I mainly use Blender for (in order of importance):

1.Hard surface modeling
2.Environment modeling
3.Presentation, Evvee cycles
4.Rigging
5.Hair/paritcles
6.Animation

Features I sometimes use are:

• UVing (mostly using Rizom for more complicated things)
  • Texture painging (mostly fixing small things, I use Substance for texturing)
  • Sculpting (mostly fixing small things, I use Zbrush mainly since 2006)
  • Compositing (I try to get 90% there without comp, but now and then I either use Blender or Natron)
  • VSE
  • Grease pencil, cause it’s fun :slight_smile:

Features I rarely use are:

• All the rest, I like to try out everything I can, particles, FX, simulation, etc.
1 Like

Thanks, @dan2, interesting! Your reply reminded me of a few things, so I’ve updated my initial post.

I’m also a long-time ZBrush aficionado, although I’m trying hard to confine all of my work to Blender, aided by some useful add-ons.

For rendering I also switch between Eevee and Cycles. I generally find Eevee to have more dynamic appeal for stylized / cartoony renderings, but until recently I kept struggling with the mediocre shadow quality. That’s changed since the addition of PCF shadow maps. Now I’m eagerly awaiting improvements in the GI and reflection areas, so fiddling with the probes will be something of the past.

1 Like

Ye, that’s my goal as well. Most times it’s not the question if you can do it in a software package, it’s how fast you can do it. Comes down almost to a point where a click more for an operation makes a difference.

I usually try to use Blender more when working on personal projects, during my day job / when freelancing I only use it when I’m confident it won’t impact efficiency and deadlines.

Heading in the right direction though in many areas.

1 Like

Used frequently:

• Polygonal modeling, for animation and games. (subdivision modeling & just lowpoly modeling)
  • UV Unwrapping and packing
  • Sculpting
  • Retopology
  • PBR Material previewing (Eevee)
  • Lookdev

Used infrequently:

• Texture Painting
  • Vertex Painting
  • Shader building
  • Armatures / Rigging
  • Cycles rendering
  • VFX (fire, smoke etc)

Used Rarely:

• Grease Pencil (although I plan to use it more!)
  • Animation
  • Texture Baking
1 Like

Frequently:

• Material creation, lighting, rendering
  • Procedural Textures
  • Animation
  • Poly subdiv modeling
  • Compositing
  • Scripting
  • mechanical rigging for machines and stuff, mostly with contraints, expressions, scripts and drivers.

Sometimes

• particles
  • Motion Tracking
  • Retopo
  • Smoke and Fluid sims
  • Animation Nodes
  • UV Unwrapping

Rarely

• Video editing
  • Sculpting
  • Armatures/rigging
1 Like

Interesting, thanks!

So far I’ve interacted with it mostly through the Python API trying to get more ergonomic access to the bread and butter modelling features like 3D View navigation, translate, rotate, scale, knife cut, merge, snap, etc. Once I start using a tool for artistic ambitions I end up wanting speed more than anything else, and I believe Blender has room for improvement regarding that.

1 Like

Frequently:

• Modelling
  • Modifiers
  • Animating
  • Particles
  • Cloth sims
  • Weight painting
  • Rigging
  • Materials
  • Scripting in Animation Nodes
  • UV’s editing
  • VSE
  • Rendering
  • Compositing

Sometimes:

• Movie Clip editor (motion tracking, masking…)
  • Vertex Painting
  • Rigid sims
  • Soft bodies
  • Smoke sims
  • Dynamic paint
  • Hair dynamics
  • NLA
  • Freestyle module

Rarely:

• Sculpting
  • Texture painting
  • Fluid sims
  • Scripting in Text Editor

Never:

• NURBS modelling
  • Grease Pencil
  • Python console
1 Like

Thanks guys! Inspired by your replies I’ve fine-adjusted my initial list again. Hadn’t thought about some of Blender’s many features yet.

Frequently:

• Building rooms according to measurements or imports. Placing furniture and our equipment in them.
  • Procedural/hybrid texturing, shading, lighting, and simple ambient light and sun studies. For now, Cycles only. All my Eevee attempts has been crap.
  • Some very basic and typically special UV setups (aniso or offset UVs, not the typical painting UVs).
  • Compositing. Usually limited to ID masking, cryptomatting, and adding some glare. Global glare is completely busted right now, can’t trust it.

Rarely:

• Cloth sim, usually limited to curtains. We prefer hard blinds if possible.
  • Softbody, rigid body physics, and cloth sim on a more advanced level; only in my spare time.
  • Basic poly modelling for recreating garbage import models.
  • Freestyle. For big imports (office buildings/floors), rendering can take (when only going for the lines) a minute, freestyling it can take two hours - you really hate when you messed up a setting! Why cant’ we just export the ridges and valleys (in same color!) from workbench engine? Culling doesn’t seem to do anything.
  • Video editor. To assemble my own spare time tests.

Never:

• Well, the rest I guess. Sure I may play around with stuff occasionally but nothing productive.
1 Like

By the way, did I already mention that I’ll sell this data to Mark Zuckerberg for $ 1,000,000,000 ?

Does that mean that I´ll get targeted adds from politicians claiming that they´ll support FOSS if I vote for them?

1 Like

Yes, and if you vote for them all Blender add-ons will be free forever!

1 Like

And the prime candidate is called ‘Bloris’ Johnson. :grin:

1 Like

He wants to go for a ‘No Deal Blexit’. :grin:

1 Like

Sorry guys, it’s the strong coffee I just brewed. I’ll stop now. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Open source borders for the market but a walled garden for everything else.

1 Like