Who thought it was a good idea to change Ctr+Y to Shift+Ctr+Z ???

Crumpet: You’re right, this is a debate that’s been going on for 25 years that I know of. I honestly don’t remember which way was up in the first 3D application I used (text-based) but the ones I’ve used most before Blender (Sculpt-Animate 4D, Alias Animator and Maya) are the ones I got used to, so Z-up seems natural to me.

I came into computer graphics as an artist and my first introduction to Cartesian coordinates in art was on a computer with Y-up. It felt right since that was the way I learned it in math classes so long ago. Extending things into a 3rd dimension with the Y-axis still pointing up felt right, too.

Don’t get me wrong; I’ve adapted to Blender’s (and 3DS Max’s) way of doing things over the past couple of years. It still feels weird if I stop and think about it, but mostly I can ignore it and just get on with the creative process. And I also realize that if Blender suddenly changed to a Y-up system, I like wouldn’t feel any more at home than anyone else; I’d have to re-adapt, too.

There is one part of Blender, however, that still seems more at home in a Y-up system, though. Armatures. Interesting, eh? Ever notice how, when it comes to orienting Custom Bone Shapes to a rig, even those who make video tutorials sometimes get confused?

xrg: I didn’t mean to imply that Ctrl-Shift-Z is unusual in 3D. Every 3D application I’ve used over the last 25 years has used it for redo, those that had it. The 2D applications have been split roughly 75-25 between Ctrl-Y and Ctrl-Shift-Z. My intention was to bring up the confusion of shifting from 2D to 3D where both the keyboard shortcuts for redo and the direction of the Y-axis change.

To sum up: I’m very grateful for Blender, The GIMP and Inkscape. Sure, not everything is the way I’d like them to be, but I’d like to have a bigger apartment, more money, be taller and have more hair, too. :slight_smile: Not to mention, about 25 years younger.

oh sure, all i was saying is that it seems silly to ME, an American using a US layout, to ever use CTRL+Y for a hotkey. for him, using CTRL+Z is just as annoying as my having to use CTRL+Y, so i finally get the point of his first post. on whether there should be bias in setting defaults according to the preferences of the majority, i wasn’t making any comments, since i’m part of that majority :slight_smile:

i just meant that this whole thread has sort of assumed a standardized layout and gone from there, rather than asking why the original poster found it annoying. i just thought the misunderstanding was comical.