Why can't I bake this texture?

Hello everyone. I am having a very simple issue. I searched online and I cannot seem to find a solution. I even watched people do it step by step and it just never bakes.

I want to apply this Voronoi texture as a jpeg texture. It’s VERY simple. However, whenever I hit bake I just get “Baking map saved to external image” and it never shows up anywhere! I have tried with the “Selected to Active” which is why you see I have two planes, one black and one with the Voronoi. And I have tried with it unticked and it still does nothing. b2
I should add, I have unwrapped everything, everything has a texture, both materials have the blank image texture in them. Both objects are just flat planes. Any help is appreciated!

From what you’ve described, it should work. I’d need to see the blend file to see exactly where the issue is.

This happens sometimes, The baked textures might sometimes stay black in Blender but when you save them they’ll be normally fine.

new1.blend (536.0 KB)

Didn’t work

First, you don’t need “Selected to Active” as it’s enough to work with one object when baking procedural texture to an image.
Secondly, you don’t need that other material on the Window object in the first slot. It would try to bake to a selected image texture there as well, and you probably don’t want that.

In other words try this:

• remove “barrack” Material from Window plane; // it’s not assigned to anything there anyway
  • un-check “Selected to Active”;
  • select Window plane, select target image in its material, hit Bake.

Didn’t work

This should work, only need to press “bake”:
texBake_example.blend (332.4 KB)

Yes, thank you! That worked. However, I still need to be able to do it myself as I will be doing it quite often

The steps go like this:

• select the object;
  • in the procedural material add an Image Texture Node and create a new texture;
  • select that node;
  • in Bake option choose desired Bake Type;
  • press “Bake”;
    • don’t forget to save or pack the baked image in the image viewer.

Always a good idea to figure these things out in a clean file (in a controlled environment so to speak). Less chance that some stray material, node, or image will get in a way.

There are some additional considerations if you have more than one material in the same object. Try to keep things clean and simple until you’re comfortable with the process.

Note: if something goes wrong there’s a chance there will be an error message in the bottom of the screen (it’ll pop up when you attempt baking) and in the Terminal window.