why do i feel i live in zombie land ?

Evolution doesnt check anything. You’re implying it has some kind of sentience or intelligence, or that it is a deity.

The process of evolution is, occasionally DNA mutates, and this changes a lifeforms genetics a little bit. Usually these changes are completely unnoticeable. If this lifeform happens to reproduce. It might pass on those genes, or their offspring might get the genes from their other parent nullifying any theoretical benefit they might have given.

These gene mutations can be “bad” and they will still pass on. It doesnt matter who is fittest, smartest or healthiest. It only matters who reproduces to pass on their genes. Being smart, healthy and physically fit does theoretically increase those chances. But a smart, healthy and fit specimen can be unlucky and die before reproducing. There is no end goal, there is no guiding hand. And consciousness changes the game immensely. Maybe we could rely on animals to breed themselves into better adapted versions for their environment through natural selection. But we sure cant rely on natural selection for humans. Keep in mind for thousands of years, the people on the top totem pole of society were inbred and had tons of health issues.

Except its not integrated into the game engine once its done, and theres no convenient way to access any of this past work, so people dont know its happened. And even if they do, they have to adapt it to their own work, and their own skeletons and so on and so forth. And then even if there was, most of the community is ridiculously stubborn and would refuse to use something they didn’t make themselves. And even if they did use things they didnt make themselves, the rest of the community would probably call them cheaters and posers and shun them for using it.

The problem with BGE assets is that you often have to do a bit of trial and error work to successfully integrate them, while in other engines (even Godot) you can largely use a plug-n-play approach.

The reason for this involves the elephant in the room which even UPBGE development has not moved in favor of, reusable assets.

UPBGE has reusable group instances you can create, but other engines make creating reusable assets a natural part of their workflow. In Unity it is called a prefab and they can be nested, in Unreal it is called a component or a blueprint, Godot goes even further and simply gets rid of the distinction between scenes and prefabs (which allows for unlimited nesting and inheritance).

On another point, I do agree on the idea that Unity’s quality control is crumbling under the weight of the truckloads of features and tools being added on top, but last I checked UPBGE was very much in flux as far as quality goes as well, possibly because of a combination of no AAA-grade developers and the difficulty of shoring up a creaking architecture. Yes, I have checked github and saw how even the evangelists struggle with major issues.

1 Like

that’s why it’s important to make templates and starter kits just like in the UE. Most of 3th view character games are the same in their game design.

Evolution is still taking place for the human race. But it is not at all clear (to me) what traits are being selected for today. And there is little research on the subject.
Alas, doing research on bacteria is simpler than on human subjects.

1 Like

The point I was trying to make, and probably ended up being lost in my rambling, is that a lot of the things people are running around on the internet screaming about being super important to the health and prosperity of the entire human race are just social trends and fads that’ll probably change to another standard 10 years or so from now.

Like big ole boobs and booties? Generally speaking, yeah, these things help land a lady a date, but they’re not 100% necessary. Back in the 90’s, the heroin chic look was in. Everyone liked smaller women. Now thicc is coming back into play. We like 'em big ole. So what’s changed? Has some great paradigm shifted, leading to a new stage of human sexuality, changing the course of our evolutionary destiny? Naw. It’s just our collective tastes. They’ll change again 10-20 years from now.

Whether thick or thin, big or small, the important thing is we’re all still having sex with each other, and having babies. From an evolutionary perspective, we’re thriving. There’s no one standard that’s end all be all. No one true way. Everything we see argued on the internet these days is mostly down to individual preferences and personal details that only has a slight cumulative effect on the well being of the species as a whole.

Want to be an alpha male type? Go for it. Just realize that it’s not some Way Nature Intended sort of thing that’ll make you attractive to 100% of women around the world. Some women like it, and it will get you laid, and will end up making a baby or two, thus ensuring your survival. If it works for you, it works for you. On the flipside of that, some women prefer quieter, more introspective men. Those who the alpha male types consider betas. Guess what? They’ll get laid too, and they’ll have babies. Then the children of these two wholly different, seemingly opposing standards will get together, think that shaving their heads into a checkerboard pattern, and flirting in a super high pitched voice is the new hotness, and they’ll get laid, and they’ll have babies, and so on and so on.

And the species will continue to thrive.

2 Likes

BGE had way more problems than that.

1 Like

Want to be an alpha male type? Go for it.

that’s not really what i meant. i’m just trying to understand our human behavior through logic and nature.

war, money, power, fame, politic, work, motivation, history, future… ect…

imo, everything is deeply linked to natural selection/instinct and we are still following the same evolution scheme we did in the very beginning., that also imply the instincts that comes with it
that’s not something we can get rid of that easely. but that’s just my opinion. i don’t force everyone to follow me. i’m just curious about other view because i didn’t found any explanations that make more sense than this one so far (again imo)

*edit.
this one is interresting too

1 Like

Keep in mind that evolution isn’t so much a process as it is a pressure, actions applied by a steady environmental stressor, followed by organism biologically reacting to it. There’s no rhyme or reason to any of it. No set destiny with an eventual end point. It’s action and reaction. Adaptations upon adaptations.

We’re somewhat unique in that our intelligence has become its own kind of pressure, begetting more of itself to compensate for itself. Our intelligence allows us to create more complicated social and environmental situations for us to navigate through, which strengthens and builds upon our intelligence the more we engage these situations we create, creating more situations for us to adapt to. We are as much a stressor upon ourselves as the environment around us.

The internet would be a good example of this, in that it’s creation has lead to an almost immediate change in our behavior and the way we interact with the world around us, which will itself beget further changes later on. Our technology drives our intelligence, which drives our technology, which further drives our intelligence, then a meteor hits the earth, and we have to adapt to that, and so on and so on and so on. A million or so years later, all this stress has pushed us into a new direction, and we’re no longer quite the same humanity we are now.

ofc… just never start bro…

Dude, you’re asking why it feels like a zombie land. Because you are using a zombie game engine. Quite literally. It was rotten long before they pulled the plug and now that it’s officially dead, you’re still pretending like it has a lot of life left in it and that the only problem is lack of community support.

It feels like zombie land because you hang out in the BGE section of the forum.

2 Likes

To me it feels like the current culture is obsessive about continuous material progress and growth in a way that increasingly alienates other activities that are crucial to human and environmental well being. This climate fosters cynicism and neglect.

i would be agree with you if we are talking pro games made by studio’s. But at an indie level, the BGE is well good enough and even a better choice since you don’t have to import assets and it’s possible to easily script modules in python. UE and Unity popularity is due to an army of people with infinity example of setting a basic game (moving a character) on a wonderful map powered by some GTX1080. For a noob, that’s the promise of a GTA6 , but for anyone who really start to make something serious, they know it’s just a 3d viewer with some basic interactions : push 1 button --> play that cool animation … and that’s basically their super game project . After that they realize the wall in face : AI, missions, inventory , conditional actions … at that point they just give up their project and go back playing Fortnite.

It’s true there’s a bigger dev community on UE, but somehow i think it will be harder to collaborate. Also, spreading the word all the time that BGE is dead only falls in the ears of the ones who never made a game before. So it doesn’t help. Death != Maintained ; as long it’s possible to make games with BGE it’s not dead.

We will see with the UPBGE Eevee project. Once your game has some solid logics and scripts, you just have to care about assets anyway

Well, Best of luck.

Hope you don’t burn out before you have something more than a tech demo to show off.

yes, the burn out is a big problem when doing games. Because initially, one just wants to prove one self that we can do it, but once the game mechanism is done, dealing with the assets is the boring and heaviest part.

The other funny thing, is that the ones who create games/game engines are the ones who are often done with playing games (because mostly adults) so they don’t find motivation to finish the game to play it (beside they played it lot already by testing it along ) .

I think that money can organize lot of things in the development and management of project and keep motivation in check.

About the concept of the alpha male - also same goes for the equivalent concept of alpha female…

Unless your game is a sandbox, there is the feeling you don’t want to play your own game (for reasons other than testing) because you know all of the secrets and experienced all of the unlockables. It does not have the same sense of discovery :slight_smile:

For many though, the equation changes completely if you are doing it to establish your own studio and you need to make money, no time to call it a day in that case.

1 Like

i test/play my game to appreciate the result, not really to (re)discover the secrets :wink: (an obviously, in my game there’s no lot of secrets :smiley: )

You forgot to add two very important activities: pooping and peeing. Also essential for survival, so you can continue eating, sleeping and breeding.

1 Like