Wiggle bones (a jiggle bone implementation for 2.8)

@shteeve You’re addon is awesome. Set up a BlenderMarket place page for it. I’ll buy it to support you.
BTW: I am trying to bake wiggle bones in Blender 3.4 and 3.5, but I get this error (due to recent NLA changes for trackS vs Track):
Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\3DCompositor\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\wiggle_bones_16_3-1 -Fixed.py”, line 889, in execute
tracks.strips.new(action.name, int(action.frame_range[0]), action)
NameError: name ‘tracks’ is not defined. Did you mean: ‘track’?

Is it possible to fix this, please? -When I change the 889 line to “trac(K)”, then I get this error:

And further this error, if I change the line back:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “E:\Program Files\blender-3.5\3.5\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py”, line 333, in enable
mod = import(module_name)
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘wiggle_bones_15’

I’m having the same issue in 3.5. I’m using “wiggle_bones1_5_b16.py” and line
834 doesn’t match like you show here.
Instead, I found it on:

@persistent
def jiggle_post(self,depsgraph):
    global curframe
    if (depsgraph.view_layer.name == bpy.context.view_layer.name):
        curframe = bpy.context.scene.frame_current
        print("post %d %d" %(curframe, bpy.context.scene.frame_current))
        jiggle_tree = bpy.context.scene['jiggle_tree'].to_dict()
        jiggle_tree_post2(jiggle_tree)   

But I don’t know if I should comment there (or what).

i think your issue cropped up trying to edit the python file of an installed addon. that ‘tracks’ typo seems to be from a recommendation on this thread (not calling anyone out, i’m not above those mistakes either!). the other error might have gotten introduced at some point in the editing as well.

i’d recommend just removing the addon and reinstalling fresh with ‘b14_fix’ that i’d linked at the top of the first post here. i think i determined that some of the stuff i was trying in versions later than b14 were causing more errors than they helped!

i promise i’m going to make myself learn github and upload things there to save people pain and suffering trying to navigate this long thread :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Gihub, doesn’t need to be bash commanded from windows (all though it helps) you can use
“using github in 3 minutes” (youtube search prompts). I learned that is drag-drop from the browser, and basically just mark “release” (same as publish in a blog post) button, and you’re done (from the GUI).

Also, thanks, I will go back to b14.

1 Like

You did a God`s work. It is my favorite addon because alternatives just too long and not-comphy (like softbody or cloth simulations) and rewuire lot of work \ settings, and i feel really bad when addon stopped work on my SSRT 3.2 build or 3.4 release one. Thank you!

Hey thanks for the addon, I bootstraped it here if you want to pick it up under your account:

https://github.com/mtb-tools/wiggle_bones/releases

1 Like

will there be an update to include collisions because this plugin is rather cool to use and i could really use the collisions feature

3 Likes

I’d really love to be able to use this over linked libraries, if someone makes an update to it please share :slight_smile:

funny you should ask…

after a long time re-writing bits over and over, i think i’ve finally got something to a shareable state:

i’ll probably create a new thread for this big v2 update; like the Ship of Theseus, almost every plank of this updated version is new (which might mean new bugs too :sweat_smile:)

update - made a dedicated v2 thread here: https://blenderartists.org/t/wiggle-2/1454788

4 Likes

Hey guys! Having a problem with the addon. I’ve been working on one animation track and baked wiggle bones into keyframes. But now the plugin is inactive on all bones. I can not activate (or deactivate) wiggle or change any parameters. How do I reset everything to start using these settings again?

when using the bake button the add-on, one of the things it does is disable the wiggle on the armature to prevent the baked jiggle and the simulated jiggle from fighting with each other. there is a setting in the armature properties to re-enable it:

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 1.59.29 PM

in the new version i made, all of the settings are in 1 place to avoid to make it easier to understand :slight_smile:

3 Likes

WOOOOO
thats awesooomeee

1 Like

Hello! Thank you for this plugin sooooo much! Incredible work.

But I have some issues with using this plugin. I use Blender v3.5 and your amasing Wiggle Bone v1.5.0. I’ve already made some animations without any problems with plugin. My pipeline is something like that

• I make some actions with skeleton
  • push new action to NLA
  • I apply plugin settings on the choosen bones
  • bake if plugin result is OK.
    This pipeline works pretty well… but after 5 animations I made in this way wiggle bones can’t apply for all bones I choose, only 50% of all selected bones. What could be my problem?

hmm not fully sure. have you tried baking using blender’s normal “bake action” functionality or only the bake wiggle button in the add-on? i haven’t encountered your exact issue, but i have had issues on this version where the under-the-hood values for calculating wiggle accidentally get keyframed, which can prevent the calculations from working properly and make the bones appear to stop working.

while you’d have to set things back up since its a rewrite, have you considered looking at the new version 2.0 to see if it works any better for you?

I used bake action in wiggle bones settings. Everything works okay but some bones became insensitive to plugin activation, although everything was fine with them before. I’ll try the new version then, thanks for the quick reply anyway.

(sigh) this will be a long shot, but is it possible to make it bake in Blender 3.6? I’ve animated, keyframed bones (even wiggle bones) and I press BAKE WIGGLE BONES, and I get this error:

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\3DCompositor\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.6\scripts\addons\wiggle_bones1_5_b16.py”, line 889, in execute
track.strips.new(action.name, action.frame_range[0], action)
TypeError: NlaStrips.new(): error with argument 2, “start” - Function.start expected an int type, not float

How do I fix it?, Please help. I need to complete a project in 12 hours. :sweat::sweat::sweat:

Sorry for the stress!

1. if you need to bake any animation including wiggle bones you can always just use the regular bake action operator in blender. This would be your quickest solution if you’re on a deadline

2. the blender change that introduced this error should be fixed in the last “b14_fix” mentioned in the first post. (Im pretty sure but im away from my computer to verify)

3. there’s a complete rewrite of this wiggle addon also linked in the first post, and this is where I’ll be making any future improvements to the addon

Good luck!

1 Like

TSM. I’ll look for those links. Every year I come back to this list thread. This addon should be a staple in Blender native addons.

Thank you. This other version worked just fine.
Question: as a general workflow, when I finish animating my wiggle bones, I “select all wiggle bones”, and then I click “bake wiggle bones”. This creates the action in the action editor, but all wiggle bones are still active. Is there a way to BAKE and turn off all wiggle bones?

as you can see, there’s a setting called ‘bake disables wiggle:’ and from there you can select if it disables wiggle on the individual bones, the armature, or the entire scene. selecting armature or scene still keeps the wiggle checkbox enabled for individual bones so if you need to change something and re-bake the wiggle effect, you don’t have to manually re-enable all these bones 1 by 1.

note that in the newer version of wiggle 2, i made the bake button automatically bakes all wiggle bones in an armature, and ‘freezes’ the live wiggle calculation on the armature level after baking to streamline the process.

1 Like