Wii or PS3?

My vote goes to the Wii, although, I don’t have enough money to buy any of them at the moment, and there are too many things I have to buy, but, I will eventually get the Wii. Sure, the PS3 has alot better graphics, thats obvious, but, graphics really dont make a game. Video Games have started to pay more attention to graphics than the actual game. I mean, I still have plenty of fun with all my old games, even games that have text bases graphics can be fun. Wii is doing something new with the controller. It really is a new system, not just an upgrade, which is not to say I don’t love the power of Xbox 360’s, and Im sure the PS3 will be incredibly fun to play, and the graphics will be mind blowing, but, the Wii is cheeper, and looks alot more fun.

more mature platform that Nintendo’s cutesy console
Ah, the ‘kiddie cutesy console’ thing again. I knew someone would bring that up. But what about Metroid? That’s not ‘cutesy’. Also, which was the first console to have Resident Evil 4? I don’t know about you, but I think that someon’s head being sliced off by a chainsaw and giving way to a fountain of blood might possibly offend a 10 year old in some way. Just a thought.

graphics really dont make a game.
Well said.

Resi 4 simply rocked… Maybe a bit too many clichés, but stil…
And the kiddie stuff doesn’t have to be boring, you know. Mario and Pokémon are fun to play whoever you are.
There are many games which are for all ages, but are still fun to play.

But why does everone say that more graphics means a worse game? Everyone keeps assuming that Wii is better because its worse. I’m sorry but how many times can you reinvent the Mario?

As Nivek said, it’s the gameplay that counts.
Also, the graphics aren’t worse, the Wii is actually just as powerful as the other two.

I don’t deny that cutesy games can be fun to play - however Nintendo seem to use the SAME cutesy games over and over again. If the graphics don’t make a difference then why update it? They tacked 3D worlds onto existing concepts and called it a ‘new game’. New in what way? - the core gameplay is the same (otherwise you will get lynched by fans of the original), so all you end up doing is cramming it into a 3D world, so everyone can say "Nintendo have done a wonderful job in translating the feel of the original to this new medium. Where is the innovation in a game if the ‘feel’ remains?

As for the cutesy thing - despite recent attempts to dispel that tag Nintendo have only made a few token efforts. FIRST console to have Resident Exil FOUR. What? How does that show any innovation or market leading? Were they first with the other three games? They weren’t? Wonder why that could be…

Nintendo always did (and AFAIK still do - even if slightly relaxed in some ways nowadays) have a bizarre and inconsistently strict set of rules on content. I think if you look across the distribution and scope of Nintendo’s range this is still very evident.

http://www.crockford.com/wrrrld/maniac.html

Alex

1 Like

But, once again, I don’t see new and exciting gameplay, I see a novalty controller on a game setting that has been beaten to pulp with a nerf bat.

This is just turning into an argument of Nintendo versus Sony now. I do agree that Nintendo use similar ideas in many of it’s sequels, but don’t all companies do that now? Crash bandicoot, Timesplitters, The Sims and Hitman, for example.
At least it makes its own games.
Also, Sony have been using the same controller since the original PlayStation.

Wii vs PS3 is Nintendo vs Sony.

Both companies invested their philosophies in the consoles, and it shows. Whichever you choose is a statement of support for that company and their philosophy.

The two cannot be seperated.

Alex

Well, I mean there is a difference from having a few sequals, and having plotless characters from your past, reinvented, then reinvented again. For me part of gameplay is the story, not just the interface. No, I’m not meaning this to be Sony vs Nintendo. It’s I’m just tired of seeing Mario this, or SSB 23!(exageration) the originals were cool, but I’d rather be immersed in some form of story or plot, and I’m not meaning just graphics. The PS3 has the titles I’m looking for, and yes some of them are sequals, but they are not dead horses.

As Nivek said, it’s the gameplay that counts.
Also, the graphics aren’t worse, the Wii is actually just as powerful as the other two.

Actually the Wii is far less powerful than the ps3 and xbox 360. I dont think the Wii is really advancing gameplay that much, they are changing the controller, thats not gameplay its what you use to play the game. Also I dont know why people act like you cant have good graphics and good gameplay, with a few exceptions the two kind of go hand in hand.

Shard

It’s I’m just tired of seeing Mario this, or SSB 23!(exageration) the originals were cool, but I’d rather be immersed in some form of story or plot, and I’m meaning just graphics.

Graphics and storyline are very different things, you know.

The PS3 has the titles I’m looking for

That’s a good reason, and it’s the same reason I’m going to get the Wii. The main thing about a console is its games, not it’s controller or graphics power. Really, the choice is between which games you want to get.

Also I dont know why people act like you cant have good graphics and good gameplay, with a few exceptions the two kind of go hand in hand.
The new Zelda, for example.

Sorry that was a misspell, about the graphics, I edited it, please reread. I wasn’t focusing on the graphics, though the eye candy can help pull you into the story, but that isn’t the deciding factor for me.

What else is there to say?
Nintendo is just really gay

Playing a Wii? I think I’ll pass,
I rather f**k some broken piece of glass

People, let’s just take it easy, okay? No need to turn this in a flamewar… haha.

Nice poetry Mr. Sacha Gooberstein, but I have some critiques. I fixed it in the quote.

“piece” should be “pieces”. Scratch that, let’s get rid of it all together.

I fixed the rhythm of your poetry, it was badly in need of some work.

Ok next time Mr. Gooberstein, make sure to proofread your poetry, mmk?

Funny thing is with better graphics comes better gameplay, allowing developers create unique enviroments, and puzzles, that could never have been possible in older hardware.
For example Doom 1 & 2 where amazing games for its time, which pulled the player into a cool killing spree enviroment. Now we have Doom 3 which goes one step further, not only do you get better graphics but better level design things that could not be possible on old hardware can now be done and scare the shit out the player. Dont underestimate what graphics can do for a game.
Coupled with shit hot physics can give a player something they would have never seen in real life nor in older games.

Give it an excellent story line you got an excellent product. Sadly you generally couldnt get the both togther in older hardware. Funny that eey?

1 Like

The Wii has worse graphics than the other platforms. thats just how Nintendo is. Then playstation, then Xbox has the best graphics for most games. The Wii will be fun, and I never get tired of Smash BRos, but nintendo should give it up. theybe had the same characters since forever. Aeshetic value? A little. technological…not much. Im gettin tired of looking at Mario in 98 percent of nintendo games. Theyve managed to publish a few good games for their system, but their always gonna be #3 in the platform industry as long as microsoft(off topic, sry) and Sony are around…

Deal with it.

Edit<_ and better graphics will always improve a game. they dont make the game, but a game is just better if ur not looking at a bunch of colored blocks.

I’ll forgive you for that because you must have been on some sort of drug to even make that statement.

Doom 1 and 2 had primitive level design, but Doom 3 was actually a step down. It was entirely graphics oriented, boring as hell, and serves as a better counterargument than argument for your point.

Doom 1 and 2 are much much more fun to play even now than Doom 3.

I finished all 3 games btw…