Windows 7 ends!

If Linux offers something you need then great but most needed apps are just not present from photoshop to architecture to layouting etc

I tried to promote Linux a lot but Gimp simy looses vs photoshop or affinity in many aspects - just an example

The majority of FOSS solutions are not near as powerful for their field as Blender is in 3D.

A couple of the only other ones with real power (as far as I know) is Godot for game creation and Krita for Painting, as GIMP is still quite a ways behind Photoshop and LMMS is a long ways behind apps. like Mixcraft and FL Studio.

Blender is closer to the exception than the norm.

1 Like

I HAVE tried a lot of it, and most of it dosen’t compare. Stuff like Blender and Inkscape is rare in the FOSS world.

More colors, more contrast.

I know CG applications are pretty much covered by Linux (Blender, Gimp, OpenShot) but there aren’t good alternatives for audio applications. That’s the only reason why i haven’t changed already. I spend a shitload of money on Kontakt Libs and VST’s that can’t be replaced. I know you can run Windows on some kind of Virtual Box in Linux but i read that’s no guarantee that all applications will run safe. Can someone confirm that?

looking at my 4 rendering servers that run windows 2008 (win7 server)…
I didn’t notice anything ^^… other than not a single unnecessary service running in the ram.

I think they will be humming along like that for another decade

I find the UI of Windows better than Ubuntu and better than MacOS. Probably because I spent most time with it. I can not comment on the network thing because I don’t use networks.

It is not important, though if something else is worse.
If you want to avoid data mining you obviously have to avoid Google products.

still using win 7 but want to switch to Ubuntu or CentOS on some point in the future

Are you sure?

http://ubuntustudio.org/audio-handbook/ (check out that entire distro!)

Is this really competitive to commercial apps on windows / macOS or more a gimp vs photoshop comparison ?

Just asking - I am not a musician

besides blender and krita I feel there are not many well developed open source apps that reach the maturity and power of commercial apps (for logical reasons).

I’m not a music guy either - I just find it hard to believe that they made one entire distro for audio/multimedia , only to make fools of themselves. Y’know…?

Also Ubuntu is like, the pay one, you know? ie. a COMPANY! Even MORE chance it’s a “commercial competitor”! :slight_smile:

Why don’t you just Shut Up and Download? :slight_smile:

Yes, that is how you convince people. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Well really, a Long Boring Pointless conversation which repeats over and over and Goes nowhere is just…useless yeah? I don’t know what to say… when the bloody .iso is THERE to be Obtained and Checked Out For YOURSELF!!! :slight_smile: (WITHOUT touching your Win installation if you so choose…?!!)

That serves some segment of audio software, but doesn’t cover everything. Nothing in there is a replacement for the integrated packages that Ableton or Native Instruments offer. Now, if you’re doing things like interactive audio installations with it, then pure-data and the low latency kernel patches come in handy

PLEASE try www.bodhilinux.com and www.elivecd.org !! :slight_smile:

If you are not an expert on the subject at hand ( which cekuhnen says he is not ) it is not possible to evaluate if software is good for experts.

No. Ubuntu is good enough.

He said he didn’t like Ubuntu. (I wasn’t replying to you).

Strange. you even quoted me.

Ok, that’s constructive posting, thanks for that. Have you Googled around to see if there is, in fact, Linux s/w that does what you want which may not be in Ubuntu Studio??

For instance this one looks defunct now, but maybe some of it is useful? :