Windows 7 ends!

oops sorry :slight_smile:

What does s/w stand for?

software 10 chars

Audacity does everything I need. But I think even VLC does everything I need so my requirements are not really relevant to what a professional sound guy needs.

Oh. I thought you WERE a pro sound guy.

I have ubuntu - and besides Blender nothing of the professional software I work with is available for linux. And the shortcoming of software is a known fact you cannot get around when you need it.

Also you know I just made a genuine question and the tone in your reply is pretty embarrassing.

Maybe think about if that really was necessary.

I wasn’t intending to offend. Just Sick of beating a dead horse!

What software do you use?

Most of that I would have seconded. Though comparing LMMS to Mixcraft is just not plausible. It tries to emulate FLStudio, yes that is a good comparison. But to Mixcraft the alternative would be Ardour. In fact I’d take Mixbus, which is available for Linux and actually build upon Ardour, everytime over Mixcraft. And lastely, don’t forget about the Reaper…

All of that is no argument for or against Linux. Everybody has to decide for themselves what they want/need to do with their computers. We can discuss the usefulness of a particular OS within a very narrow usecase. Like one needs to work with Photoshop, then GNU/Linux is simply out of the picture. It is absolutely irrelevant if your favorite distro runs a lightweight DE(which is to be considered bloat under Linux anyway and shows one’s doing it wrong /irony off/) or isn’t spying on you. The job can’t be done, period.
What we can’t discuss is the way people like to use their computers, because that is too individual. If you want to blame others then Win and Mac are great. If you want to actually take controll about your computing, well…

Anyways, I think my point is made and I just wanted to fix a bit on the LMMS perspective.
Cheers, Markus

Edit: I just realized I should have read the rest of the thread before answering to @Ace_Dragon. I didn’t know you all where hooked on that Music thing.
Well I do music. Yes that ancient kind of sound manufacturing magik. Not professionally but I know a lot who do. And I can tell you that they either use Linux or Macs. But with a real confidence I can say that not a single one of them, and I totally understand that, would use either one of those multimedia/studio distros or the “enlightened” one (which is still plain old Ubuntu in both cases).

1 Like

This is very true! It really comes down to the software you need.

MacOS has many advantages over windows10 but when you need Autodesk Revit then windows10 it is.

If you work with Blender and Gimp then you can choose every OS.

Thats why I dual boot.

The only “real” music software that is available on Linux is Bitwig (which I just noticed they released a 16 track version), there’s an experimental version of Reaper 6 available too, and the new version of Waveform is to be released soon. But that’s all, no Cubase, no Nuendo, no Reason, no Digital Performer, no Pro Tools, no Ableton Live, and what about plugins? If I buy an SSL G channel strip from Waves, will I be able to use it on Linux?

Speaking of music programs, has anyone noticed Mixcraft 9 yet? I bought a brand new license (because the upgrade one I had exhibited some registration problems) and many areas have been overhauled.

The one other big thing to note is that FOSS solutions can’t give you tons of commercial plugins out of the box (which are extremely pricey when bought individually). Mixcraft gives you a free license for a cutting edge plugin known as Melodyne, which actually takes pre-existing loops apart into “notes” which you can then edit like you’re in the piano roll editor.

It’s 50 dollars off for January I believe, and even the pro version won’t exactly break the bank. Unless LMMS suddenly had a large, well funded team, it’s hard to recommend for anyone other than those really strapped for cash.

lol no, majority switched to Windows 10 long time ago
People that wanted to use Linux didn’t waited for Windows 7 support end either…

3 Likes

That was my point of my post above. Now i know you can run Windows on some kind of virtual machine via Linux but i read that some applications don’t run stable. Reaper would be nice to have on Linux but it doesn’t matter if i can’t use my VST instruments and plugins. Apperantly, there are some VST’s that should run on LInux like u-he plugins but thats just something i read.

Again, is someone here run Windows on a virtual machine inside Limux who might be shed some light on this?

I have no experience with Mixcraft, but from their website it looks like it has most of the features the other software have. The addition of ToneBoosters plugins is a plus, considering the price.

Melodyne (Essential) is bundled with many software nowadays, I got mine with Pro Tools 8 LE, in 2009. It’s mainly a pitch editing software, a more advanced version of Auto.Tune, to make it more simple to understand.

an old school example:

Used in the right way makes every voice in tune, without the noticeable robotic voice that you get with Auto-Tune, though, Essential doesn’t have most of the more useful options, like Pitch, Pitch Drift and Formants.

I won’t use audio applications on a VM, I’m not sure if they’ll allow you to use ASIO drivers on them, maybe you can hijack completely your audio card, but there’s still the problem with the latency. It’s better to have a dedicated system for audio than frankensteining it in VM.

Yeah, u-he plugins works:

Bitwig is the only serious music application available right now on Linux, just the Drum Machine and the Sampler makes it really appealing, then there is the Poly Grid, that let you create your own modular synth. With patient you can make a SY77/99 style synth (FM + PCM) too :smiley:. Waiting to see what Waveform 11 has to offer, for sure the price it’s more competitive on this one.

1 Like

Watching those videos made me remember my time with commodore amiga 500 and the sound music editors of that time.

I played the videos here and bursted o ur laughing cause my daughter 2.5years old started dancing

1 Like

Well, it was my first DAW, and Acoustica’s licensing is pretty nice (perpetual, cheap upgrades, no telemetry, old-school serial code based, no required income reports, and no need to install some clunky server application). That is only a plus when noting the intrusive and the restrictive methods done by many other vendors now.

That is also a reason why I stuck with Genetica as opposed to Substance, the licensing is (mostly) the same way.

Nothing approaches Photoshop for commercial application. I still occasionally have to use PS for print work and for all Adobe’s faults, their stuff “just works” for what it’s intended for. For painting, I find that Photoshop lags a lot and something like Krita would be preferable. I’ve tried to use GIMP and just - NO. Inkscape can replace Illustrator for what I use it for. Again, maybe not if I was using it on the same professional level (illustration) as Illustrator.

Blender is approaching the utility of ZBrush, but if you own a licence for ZB and you are proficient in the workflow, it isn’t something you give up lightly. On top of that, there are a dozen or so small utilities that I use for game dev that are either Mac or Windows only - No Linux version.

That is the ultimate kicker really. An OS is great as an experience, but it has to be able to run the software to do the job. If you are a hobbyist, then it’s great, as there are FOSS solutions out there that will allow you to get some stuff done on Linux. The minute you need to do more, then suddenly Linux isn’t an option. That isn’t a reflection on Linux as an operating system. There just needs to be some kind of working API to run Windows apps. When I say working, I mean working working. Not “this software may or may not be on the list of what WINE will run”. I don’t know how viable a project that would be.

As for people preferring the look and feel of Windows 10. You can get a variety of different UI packages that mimic various operating systems for Windows and Linux. There are even ones for Windows 10 that make Windows 7 users feel more at home.

1 Like

Can someone confirm the experiences they’re having with these over here, so that SidV gets an answer to his audio questions, and TeaMonster AND the rest of us can also listen in? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Over the last years I often tried code weaver and each time gave up because the apps I use (architecture cad) simply did not want to run in it. Throw in plug-ins, extensions, and the need for the gpu and thing’s get even worse.

Bro, there’s really no CAD s/w for Linux??? :slight_smile: