[WIP]Bevel after Boolean

Not sure I just rename the old one and enable the new version. Tried on both 2.79b and master it works the same. It still rough but not what you’re getting,

@Fatesailor, @AFWS
I found a mistake. With this arrangement of the cubes, the boolean (which is with the pipe) does not work well.

Ok Ilya!

Btw, I tested it in the 2.79b too… it gives the same bed results. So, it is not something that has to do with Blender’s version.

AFWS… the names of the two add-ons are different by themselves (they have different version numbers), so they do appear as two different add-ons in the ‘preferences’ tab. I do deactivate the previous one and activate the new one. Do you think that there may be a reason to change the older one’s name entirety? I am asking because I am a simple user and not so good as to knowing things having to do with such technical details…

Yes it’s failing in this configuration

@Rodinkov_Ilya

Another thing I just noticed, the bevel seems low when using difference and high when using union. I noticed the “curve” is more oval instead of round.

Is this new version supposed to be better ?. The old version 0.13 does the same thing .

minor update:
boolean_bevel_v_0_1_6.py.zip (4.5 KB)
@ramboblender

Previous versions did not work with sharp edges and each intersecting bevel should be less than the previous one.

4 Likes

sorry I did not read all the comments and it could be a trivial question …
are there any chances that this script will be implemented as an official tool in blender 2.8?
it is too powerful not to consider this possibility :muscle:

2 Likes

Ilya the same problems remain in the 1.6 too. Maybe you did upload again the 1.5 by mistake. In the ‘preferences’ tab it appears as 1.5.

@Fatesailor
Most likely I forgot to change the version in the file.
@anon27868450
This add-on is very unstable.

minor update: (Split offset)
boolean_bevel_v_0_1_7.py.zip (4.6 KB)

3 Likes

Still there are problems. The bevels do not spread towards both directions equally, their transitions do not have the needed smoothness and they do produce artifacts too. The images below show what do I mean:

If you need a result like this, then you need to play around with the settings.

1 Like

Maybe I’m mis something, but this is my result with your last build.

Do you get this error with all the objects?
I was unable to reproduce this error.
Perhaps you have hidden part of the object?

1 Like

My bad, it seems my current build is broken, the addon works pretty well :wink:

1 Like

Yesterday I was looking in the web to some results of Mesh Fusion and I had some idea: can we not have an option in the add-on for producing sharp and flat bevels too? Is it possible to implement such a thing to it?

As is well known it is impossible to use the native bevelling tool even for such a kind of bevels when comes to boolean seams. So, why not considering having such an option too. It would be a significant enrichment of the tool!

Ilya what do you think about the idea? Can we have such a thing?

1 Like

By Flat, you mean like this?

If yes, then in the new version I have already added this option.
What do you mean by sharp ?
This ?

Yes Ilya I do mean this exactly thing. It is possible to achieve it with the older versions too by adding some manual work but it would be good to have it as an inherent option in the add-on.

Below are the results of some related experiments I did with the older versions:

@Fatesailor
For a flat Bevel, set Push/Pull to 0.0 and turn off the shrik.
boolean_bevel_v_0_1_7_1.py.zip (4.8 KB)

1 Like

It is good that you put such a feature to it Ilya. It enriches its abilities. :smiley: The add-on, however, has become very unstable and gives very unpredictable results in its most recent versions. There is a need for much testing. Nearly in every second or third try to make an new beveling there appears a problem.

I do knot know the changes you did to its working mechanism but to the version 1.3 everything was going ok (not without some problems but in general it was working quite well), now there are many problems. Maybe it would be good to return to 1.3 and begin to add to it new features through very small and careful steps.

I am totally ignorant in matters of programming, I just am thinking freely as a simple user… so be tolerant to me if I do speak nonsense regarding those matters. :wink: