WIP - Ferrari Monza SP1

Hi all, in this topic I want to show you the new personal project I’m working on.
Maybe some of you have already seen it on other channels (twitter) because I’ve started it some months ago.
But I think it’s a good idea to upload it here anyway, in fact during last project (Ferrari 641), I got very precious feedback.
I’ll try to upload quickly all the steps I’ve done so far: the topic should be updated in the next week.

The new car I’m modeling is a Ferrari “Monza SP1”, a very unusual car inspired to the old “166 MM Barchetta”; if you are interested you can find more info here: Ferrari Monza SP1 - Ferrari.com

As usual, first step: collecting reference images

I must say that I’m not 100% satisfied because I’ve realised that there are few images of this car available, often low quality ones and few details (if anyone has more images, expecially about the front lights, please contact me).

The project is based on the well known “Master car creation” course by CGMasters and Chris Plush, so that I’m using a basemesh to create the carbody

As you can see, the car is not symmetrical (see the rear of the car, where probably there is a roll bar) and doesn’t have the roof.
All carbody elements are shinkwrapped to this basemesh:

This is the carbody almost completed:

The last element to be done is the rear hood; I tried different solutions for it until I decided for this: asymmetrical topology and shinkwrapped to two different meshes:

To complete this first post, the entire carbody with temporary shaders:

Stay tuned for next updates! :wink:

13 Likes

Love the basemesh, its very clean as I can see from the reflection!! How do you achieve that , it’s already looking high quality and you just started…great work!!

Nothing beats that shrink wrap method for getting good smooth topology. Good luck with the project.

thanks for appreciating @craylix
@Mark06GT is right: the basemesh+shinkwrap tecnique helps a lot with reflections and smooth surfaces

It’s time to talk about details
I’ve started working on the exterior ones: rear of the car…

…and front of the car

I’ve used the basemesh technique on these elements as well because of cuts, holes etc. I had to create on these meshes.

Another curiosity: I’ve also used “meshes decal” + shinkwrap to avoid pixelation problems; I used this technique with the Ferrari 641 and, in this way, I could easily create high quality closeups :wink:

Here some more details on the side of the car (mirrors, sideports, carbon elements, decals…) and some elements of the cockpit, included the strange “virtual windshield” (they call it this way :man_shrugging:)

All materials are still temporary, just to have a rough idea of the overall looking.

On next post I’ll show you the tires + brakes
Stay tuned!

7 Likes

Nice modeling, and very interesting car. Love to see one in real.

1 Like

As promised, some mechanical details; brakes (front and rear):

It was a difficult task because reference images I had weren’t very clear; materials are also temporary, brake discs are carbon-ceramic
Front and rear tires:

The main difference is that rear ones are muuch larger :astonished:

Next post: I’ll start talking about the cockpit, stay tuned!

3 Likes

It’s time to talk about the cockpit. Here you can see the first group of elements I modeled.
Steering wheel:

The desk:

The side console:

All the stuff together:

I’ve made all the icons as shinkwrapped geometry, so that I can take closeups without loosing quality.
I’ve also used the basemesh tecnique here and there: the side console has many holes and cuts without any artifact thanks to that trick.

4 Likes

update of the day: seat with metallic base and carbon shell…

…and seatbetls; I just need to find the most convenient way to bend them; I’ll try lattice and curve modifier

5 Likes

:relaxed:I’m really satisfied with your progress! Keep going on! Good luck!

1 Like

thanks @odil24 happy you like it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Absolutely incredible in terms of detail. The modeling and materials are superb!

2 Likes

thanks @maui anyway materials are still temporary :sweat_smile:
I’m not planning to add too much dirt on this model tho: it’s a new car…

1 Like

Thank you for the info. How did you made the material for the seatbelts? Images?

1 Like

a normal texture for the fabric pattern + a procedural texture for the vertical bands

1 Like

I’ve found a way to place the seatbelts: I used both lattice (for “vertical” elements) and curve modifier (for “horizontal” ones):

I’ve also added some more details on the cockpit:

Still some stuff to do but the model is almost done.

4 Likes

Fantastic as usual!

1 Like

The cockpit is completed. It’s time to work on final materials. Stay tuned! :wink:

7 Likes

first tests on materials; carpaint and carbon are from Chris Plush tutorials + some changes + a lightweight dirt layer

1 Like

Beautiful details. I’m really impressed.

2 Likes