X-Pose Picker Animation tool for Blender 4.X

This is how you will be able to set the startup xpix project for a blend file in upcoming update.

Best Regards!
Albert

2 Likes

Thank you! This is a great picker. In Softimage we used to call this “synoptic page” and indeed, we could make a 3 button behavior register and react to user’s mouse click.
Fantastic X-pose picker works similar.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you very much for the reactivity!
Best Regards!
Pascal

2 Likes

I devoured the guide. Than you for the link :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi guys!

I am proud to announce the latest update labeled with version 1.8.7 has been released!!
It contains really important feature which is automatic xpix project loading on picker start. So now it’s possible to associate the xpix project file with a blend file what is cool :slight_smile:
I hope you like it!

Best Regards!
Albert

2 Likes

Just by reading the user manual, this is a highly recommended addon for anyone using Maya or Max pickers. You got the same functionality in Blender. Very helpful for detailed controllers or layered bones sub-hierarchies to be picked on the fly. I was impressed on the video about the chain “place” button sequence.

1 Like

Hello everyone!
With latest feature there will be possibility to change the custom svg shape color!!

this option will come with version 1.8.9 and gives the ability to set a color from the palette for selected buttons. This is especially useful for changing colors for x-mirrored svg buttons instead of using dedicated vector graphics editor to create each and every color variant for your shapes.

Best Regards!
Albert

The latest update will also come with svg shapes pack! With essential shapes pack you’ll be able to set button shapes to things like arrows, triangles, circles or ovals without need to create your own icons in vector graphics editor.

*firefox icon not included :wink:

Best Regards!
Albert

1 Like

I have read the manual, search and watched multiple videos. I have several characters, Rigged with Rigify, and the rigs work fine. How to get the Rigify controls Setup within the X-Pose Window. I can get the Mike Rig body and Face windows, rename them to my character, change the background. How to get them to relate to each other??? I had thought it would be clearer, and the manual and videos don’t make the connection. I am apparently missing major clues somewhere.

Hi Paul! Thank you for your question!
Looks like you’re using the Rigify character with included AutoRig Pro template.
If you want to use existing templates instead of making new ones you have to remap buttons with rig control bones. To do this, first select the bone you want to assign to a button, then select the button in the picker. When you’re there simply press right mouse button on the button and select ‘Update Active Button’ ( Shift + U ). Now mapped button and bone responds to selection of each others. I hope this helps!

Technically X-Pose Picker makes selection based on two things: Armature name (namespace) and bone names. Rigify bones are named differently than the ones in AutoRig Pro so if you decide to reuse included example template, remapping of existing buttons is required. If you’re using template created for specific character then you can reuse it as long as your rigs are using the same bone naming. With X-Pose Picker when working with multiple tabs you can have each tab assigned to different character (by changing its namespace), you can copy content between tabs, you can append tabs from other projects and many more!

Best Regards!
Albert

With latest 1.8.9 version update comes new svg template in two forms:

• as xpix file, where you can append the tab to your project and copy-paste buttons

• svg shapes folder, from where you can set svg by selecting file with “Change Button Shape” from mouse context menu

• shapes placed in the folder are easily accessible so can be quickly edited with any vector graphics application - Inkscape, Illustrator, Corel or others…

• xpix template shapes can be resized, colored or vertically mirrored inside the picker application.

Best Regards!
Albert

2 Likes

Hello!
X-Pose Picker version 1.8.9 is OUT!
The latest release comes with fixes and features:
-fixed custom shape button scale
-added custom shape button color change
-fixed removed outline from custom shape button when selected
-added svg templates

Best Regards!
Albert

2 Likes

Thank you for the info. I am now creating my own Template for using Rigify for this model. I will consider AutoRigPro and your template alternatively as I work on expressions. Thank you for the clarification.

I created a custom Rigify Template, step-by-step, following your instructions. Still uncertain about getting it to work smoothly. I needed to ‘tweak’ the rig, so I deleted the current one, updated the anatomy slightly, re-Generated the Rigify Rig in Blender, activated the X-Pose interface, guess what, no relationship?? Do I really have to go thru and re-link each of the Buttons to the Rig components. They are named ‘exactly’ the same as the rig elements for clarity, except I used Capital letters for clarity. No make it all better button?? Thought it would work.

Hello!
Capital letters are different signs than lower letters. This is how Blender and many Unix Operating Systems work and the picker keeps up with this convention/standard.

You can fix it in four ways - there are few batch renaming tools for Blender, including new 2.8 batch renaming tool in Blender’s Outliner.
You can also open the xpix file (it’s a zip file) and fix assignments there. Just first make sure you work on the file copy, just in case. Xpix file consists of a text file and graphics files. Inside xpix file you will find svg custom shapes, image files (idname.svg, idname.png) and text json file which is really what you are looking for. What you really want to change inside the json file is the field “assignedHostObjects”: “c_shoulder_bend.r”, update the case size for each button.

Third way is what you already mentioned - manually remapping,

or fourth solution if you’re familiar with scripting is simple python script in Blender by traversing all armature pose bones and using reassignment bone.name = bone.name.lower().

I would strongly recommend to use the Blender outliner batch renaming option.
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/files/blend/rename.html#batch-rename

or this one:

just remember to back up your work before you try any of these methods.

I will add some essential diagnostic tools to the picker in some upcoming releases but this requires some work so implementation will take some time.

• displaying assigned bone names
  • marking all unassigned or wrongly assigned bones in color
  • heuristic automated fixing naming issues (capital letters, closest match) (?)

Best Regards!
Albert

I will investigate. I only mentioned the Capitals, as they are the Labels I used on your buttons. I would never alter the naming of the actual bones or armature, I just matched the naming of the buttons to their associated armatures. I suspect the Labels are not part of the problem, as it works without labels entirely. New day, I will explore getting it to work again.

1 Like

labeling buttons does no effect on mapping. It’s rather cosmetic/informational detail just like changing buttons color.

Best Regards!
Albert

Hello everyone!

Here’s the X-Pose Picker 1.8.9 feature demo video:

This videois a brief of latest features and presents association xpix file with Blender project and work with custom svg shape.

Best Regards!
Albert

Hello Albert ,

when I bought the addon on the Blender Market , I saw that your add-on was published under a GPL license. I saw later in the user manual it was not very clear about this: there is a proprietary Notice about the Licensing , as well as a contradictory Notice about the Software Licensing , with the GPLv3 header. It is not very clear which one applies :thinking:

The Blender add-on itselfs does indeed have the GPL header, the rest of the picker program seems to be proprietary.

Can you clarify what license is in use for the picker program?

If it is not the GPL, could you clearly advertise upfront that the code is not entirely free software to make sure we use your picker in the right therms?

I would like to use your picker for animators, but I’m not sure I can share the addon for the project with them.

Best regards,

Pascal

2 Likes

Hello Pascal and thank you for your question!

The licensing case is of course kind of issue that has to be solved, it’s a thing on which I am working on. Because of the complexity of the software, the whole bundle, there can be distinguished few things: the source code of the XPicker, source code of the host application (the add-on python code you’ve previewed), presets, user’s manual documentation, graphics, UI and few other things where referring to GPL actually licensing refers to the source code itself, not a whole product - binary application, documentation, names and so on. The picker is not technically Blender add-on, it’s a standalone application which can be used with Unreal Engine, Maya or other applications if only TCP communication between them is possible. However it’s a DRM-Free software. I would be really happy if every user obtain the license but I get more and more questions about the distributable version for the end-users (lite, limited version) which would allow to use the lite picker with specified project by loading xpix file but not create, diag or edit the xpix files. This would solve software licensing, coupons, affiliations and many other issues related to picker’s distribution. I believe it may be something it is on your mind. Let me know what you think about this and other ideas.

Best Regards!
Albert

2 Likes