X-Ray Selection Tools

Do we know if we will get the fix for this addon?

Personally, I think your best bet would be to test the custom Blender build with the patch I mentioned a couple posts earlier. See if that works for you and if not, suggest the developer what you would like to see changed. At least, that would give you something workable and hopefully a better chance that the patch will be merged.

But maybe @obsurveyor managed to find the issue?

Nope, stopped getting responses from the dev in Blender chat when I asked for an example of how to do what I think we need to do.

blender 3.2 and x-ray tools 4.1.0 not working anymore!? (macos)
any news on that? I couldnā€™t find anything here!

1 Like

Unfortunately it seems this addon has been abandoned. So at this point we need to wait and see if the branch that adds the functionality to Blender natively gets merged in.

3 Likes

Hopefully !

1 Like

isnā€™t there any way to kinda make it work with newer builds?
x-ray selection tools were super very helfull and itā€™s really sad that we donā€™t have a properly working addon as a replacement :frowning:

1 Like

Well, you can use the build made by @Lcas here: https://devtalk.blender.org/t/decoupling-x-ray-and-limit-selection-to-visible/3498/419

Perhaps not the answer you were hoping for, but so far it seems to be performing better than the addon in my use-case. If everyone could test the features, the sooner it may end up in master, hopefully.

2 Likes

For the first sentence, they have to change things to make new things work.
For the second, Iā€™m with you. The monday show is for people having to much time to waste,
and the host isnā€™t going after things discussed on the show. So renders it useless.
Best is to look here for info : https://devtalk.blender.org/c/blender/weekly-updates/14
and connect with the devs, to get things done!

So, this addon has actually been abandoned?
I know thereā€™s a custom build with something similar, But I donā€™t like to use custom builds while Iā€™m working on projects, specially for something Iā€™ll be doing literally all the time, like selecting things.
I know thereā€™s a Addon called Power Select that (kinda) does the same thing, with a bit more customization. But it adds another button to the tool panel, if it just replaced the native selection tool it would be much better.
Does anyone knows another addon that might replace this one?

I use ArmoredColonyā€™s ā€˜select throughā€™ script which is part of a set of very useful scripts/addon. There arenā€™t any extra panels and buttons so you have to manually add the hotkeys yourself. Itā€™s a less complex script, basically it toggles X-ray mode while selecting which is all I need.

The select through script works fine in 3.1.2 but unfortunately doesnā€™t seem to work in 3.2. Iā€™ve made a janky edit which seems to work for now.

can you create update for blender 3.2 pleace) or tell how fix

I tried to find out what is wrong with the addon, it is very complicated.
space_view3d_xray_selection_tools_b3_test.zip (200.7 KB)

Was able to make it partially work on Blender 3.2,
since 3.2 developers added some changes to Python_API and broke behaviors for mouse buttons.

The main thing is that I cannot fix is the behavior after the ā€˜RELEASEā€™ of the mouse click.
After release it still in x-ray mode and waiting for some action, any action (click, esc, any kb button).

May be someone have an idea how to handle this, or have a better python skills.

5 Likes

Another attempt
space_view3d_xray_selection_tools_b3_test2.zip (221.4 KB)

this time it should be ok

5 Likes

it works bat you mast have same action for another select) thanks man!

Thanks a lot APEC !
I can install it on 3.2 but even with the second version, I have the issue with xray still enabled after release.

Thereā€™s also the old issue with the drag select not working with manipulators.
But itā€™s a step in the right direction. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Hi Could you explain how to do this please?

I sent you the py file - it works for me in 3.2. But you need to download and install the rest of the toolkit from GitHub and replace the select through with the one I sent you. After that you need to set up your hotkeys manually using the function name which is ā€˜armored.select_throughā€™.

Hope it helps

1 Like

I confirm, you have to click again with mouse left right or middle after selecting to continue, which is not intended behavior. I hope you can fix this @APEC ! Thanks

I forgot to check the behavior in the object mode, sorry.

Try new one version
space_view3d_xray_selection_tools_b3_test3.zip (221.4 KB)

14 Likes