Yet Another Thread about Cycles Materials

Only as a joke )
Fully procedural pattern

1 Like

A friend of mine came up with this one, and it’s ridiculously useful, at least for me. It’s basically doing seamless generator (noise, voronoi etc) in one direction, meaning you can map it onto cylindrical UVs without a seam. It’s basically looking up cylindrical coordinates based on UVs. It is also kinda possible to lookup toroid coordinates for seamless in 2 directions, but due to perimeter radii being different there will be density variations.

But here is at least the cylindrical one, and I have to say, it’s simplicity is admiring :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is a fantastic one, so much to learn from this! Is there any way of converting this into Blender?

Here’s one approach (haven’t checked yet)…

3 Likes

This is great stuff thanks for sharing, I’m late to the party.

But can anyone explain to a beginner what the glossy background node group is doing, and also in particular the dot product node.

many thanks in advance

Hi everyone, i just try to make a crocodail skin by using the guide in this topic and this is what i have made:

2 Likes

1 Like

The most important is to find a good texture
I used this one

1 Like

Thanks for this, good work - any chance of the reflection and bump jpgs please?

1 Like

This looks great, but the thread is more about procedural texture.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

I’ve decided to make some brushed metal material/texture for solids of revolution that can have flat surfaces (like a sauce pan which has flat bottom). I hope somebody will find it useful. Anyway, questions, comments, critique are welcome.

Note: may not work well with coarse meshes (see last image).

cylindrical_brushed.blend (916.7 KB)

3 Likes