Yet Another Thread about Cycles Materials

Never mind I found it =D

Can you make a yellow material like a car paint that looks silver and a white material (Plastic preferred)

Clouds (will need adjusting on the Scale value on the SSS node for larger clouds, because this is a mini cloud of 20 centimeters long)

http://i.minus.com/iklTKi0BDxJ07.jpg

Each option has advantages and disadvantages. But I think in production environments texture images are more used. Certainly, their renders are fast, but you need other abilities: use 2D programs (like Gimp, Inkscape, Photoshop), make them tilable, break patterns, include noise… The results are very realistic.
However, procedural textures give you some advantages. Images depend on the zoom. If you are using a close-up or a background, you will need two images, because probably you can not scale those textures. Procedural textures can scale without problems. Files are lighter, because good image textures (EXR, TIFF, PNG) are heavy.
In every situation you should choose which is the best option in terms of quality and speed.

I recommend to you download this. It includes around 10 presets suitable for ceramic/plastic/car paint materials, with example renders.

Hi everybody. Today I’m going to show you a glowing material, similar to neon lights.

There are several node setups here in BlenderArtist, but normally in the reder I have seen a burn spot in this kind of materials. You can add a glass effect to the material mixing the emission node with a glossy node and a fresnel factor. Something like this:

Change the fresnel and roughness values to get different classes of glass. Note that the emission strength value should be set up in accordance with the rest of lights in the rendered scene (lamps or meshlights). Therefore this value could be higher or lower in your scene, depending on the values of the other lights.

In my test scene I have removed the top lights to highlight the glowing effect.

Here there is another example of the material (Hires version here):

Bye

we dont’ have yet volumetric for lamps to make some halo around
neon tube

but might be possible with a cloud with gradient and some SSS

it might work !

salut

@elbrujodelatribu
how are you doing your geometric design in this image? just with modeling?

No, I downloaded it from this link. It probably is in STP format, so you need another software to get the OBJ file. Normally I use FreeCAD to make this conversion.

hummm that’s an interesting site… I’m a hughe Buckminster Fuller fan…

Could you do a setup for sandblasted/frosted acrylic or at least give some hints? My materials looks quite a bit like fine marble rather than a sandblasted surface. I’m just using a procedural noise bump with glass and diffuse mixed. I did try mixing in gloss but that gave it a too shiny surface. It looked like the frosty part was embedded in acrylic which is good too but I need a rough diffuse surface.

Something along the lines of these:
http://fab.cba.mit.edu/classes/MIT/863.06/people/suelin/spokes.jpg
http://www.futurplast.ca/IMAGES/FROSTED_files/image007.jpg

Check these materials:

I didn’t know him. Great designer.
You also can download other geometric shapes from shapesway.

Ah! Forgot about that one. Thanks for reminding me, with a little tweaking it works for my scene. Once again the simplest method is the best.

Here’s a fantastic tutorial on that very subject…

Yes, I forgot that one. It’s also a good tutorial.

@elbrujodelatribu
I was also wondering if you knew a way to do that hexagonal floor pattern with a proceedural texure instead of an image… that would be really handy…

Not yet, but one week ago I saw this tutorial about create an hexagonal faces plane in google+. I think is an easy method. At last you only need to scale it 1.5 in an axis direction (I don’t remember X or Y), and it looks perfect. The link also includes a python script to make all the job.

not certain how it is working here ?
even tried the script for this and it cannot do the dissolve at the end !

are there any specific requirements for using this ?

thanks

I’m not sure, I did the tutorial, not the script. I have seen that some addons are failing with the development version of Blender 2.67.

The method is used in this floor: